_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
gloss or satin varnish as a glue for P.E.?
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:00 PM UTC
can either satin or gloss varnish act as glue for photo etch material?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 01:32 PM UTC
I know that you can use Future(gloss acrylic) as a glue.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

can either satin or gloss varnish act as glue for photo etch material?

Depending on the size and position of the part, a gloss or satin varnish or future (pledge with future) can be used for photo etch material but I don't recommend it for any "load bearing" parts. You may have problems maintaining the position of the part while the gloss/satin/future solution dries. If you have a steady hand, I recommend cyanoacrylate applied with a needle and accelerator for instant adhesion of really fine parts. If you need extra working time I recommend two-part (5 minute) epoxy cement applied with a needle. There is a jewelry cement available through some suppliers that dries clear and has a fine needle applicator--it comes in a white tube, but the name escapes me right now-- it will work too. You can also use Elmers white school glue to attach PE, but again, not recommended for anything but small non-load bearing parts.
VR Russ
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a jewelry cement available through some suppliers that dries clear and has a fine needle applicator--it comes in a white tube, but the name escapes me right now-- it will work too.

Is this the stuff you're referring to?

http://www.jtv.com/g-s-hypo-cement---standard/1501893.html?CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CNb_qI_tt84CFReTfgodCWEIkg&mcid=XSMPLA&CATCI=pla-18283950120&src=Q2SRCH&CAWELAID=500002190000192214&CAAGID=18884669286&gclsrc=aw.ds
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:31 AM UTC
Richard,
I believe in it's early days, the standard adhesive for non load bearing PE was Humbrol Gloss Enamel. Most people have moved on from there for more robust forms of attachment, but Humbrol Gloss is still a viable alternative as once it cures it is pretty tough and the part is easily moved into position while still wet. This process still has advocates in WWI aircraft modeling.

As to using clear satin, that bond is easier to shear than the more homogenous gloss, but in well protected areas, I'm sure it will do the job well enough.

Cheers,
Paul H
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There is a jewelry cement available through some suppliers that dries clear and has a fine needle applicator--it comes in a white tube, but the name escapes me right now-- it will work too.

Is this the stuff you're referring to?

http://www.jtv.com/g-s-hypo-cement---standard/1501893.html?CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CNb_qI_tt84CFReTfgodCWEIkg&mcid=XSMPLA&CATCI=pla-18283950120&src=Q2SRCH&CAWELAID=500002190000192214&CAAGID=18884669286&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yep, that's it-- GS Hypo cement. I've used it for tacking tiny brass PE, like T-handles into drivers positions and cockpits. However, these areas never get any rough handling-- I doubt this stuff holds any better than future-- it just drys really fast, making positioning easier. The needle applicator is kind of a gimmick though, I find it's difficult to control the amount of cement required, so I squirt a little on a glass surface and use a needle applicator.
VR Russ
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 11:45 AM UTC
As said, for parts that will not be subject to tension it works fine. Specially the acrylic ones, as you can clean the excess with water before it dries.

Lately I have been using acrylic resin from AK, which is stronger than the varnish (good enough for most of the parts), gives me more time to position the part than CA and can be cleaned also with water.
 _GOTOTOP