_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
1/10 Gen. Douglas Macarthur (Life miniatures)
USRanger
Visit this Community
Vietnam
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 12:11 AM UTC
Greeting! I'm in progress painting Gen. Mararthur for now, I've just done the face and cap. I'm wondering that which color that I should use to paint cap correctly because there are 2 colors of the eagle and details on the cap, they are black and yellow! Which is corect? and which is the color of cap cloth??? Thank you
Không có tiêu đề by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
Removed by original poster on 08/12/16 - 19:46:51 (GMT).
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greeting! I'm in progress painting Gen. Mararthur for now, I've just done the face and cap. I'm wondering that which color that I should use to paint cap correctly because there are 2 colors of the eagle and details on the cap, they are black and yellow! Which is corect? and which is the color of cap cloth??? Thank you

The eagle and shield would have been done in embroidered metallic gold thread, as well as the "scrambled eggs" (oak leaves) depicted on the visor. The cap color itself looks pretty good in your photo, and I think MacArthur was desiged and selected his own uniform textile style, so the khaki colors would be appropriate. The background on the visor behind the oak leaves was likely the same color as the body of the cap, although I have a similar cap with an olive green background and green cap cover-- but mine is more modern officer issue-- MacArthur would not have worn a basic issue cap. The visor edge was probably the same as the visor, but I have seen similar caps with a light tan or very light gray vinyl edging. The cap I own is black and green--- but again, mine is a more modern issue cap, and MacArthur was known for having tailor made outfits, including his headgear, as most senior general officers did in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. I suspect the instructions calling for green and black are based on more modern issue practices.
VR Russ
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 02:01 AM UTC
No idea about the colours but that is some of the best painting Ive ever seen.
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The eagle and shield would have been done in embroidered metallic gold thread, as well as the "scrambled eggs" (oak leaves) depicted on the visor.

That depends on the image; this image suggests otherwise, and this picture of Macarthur's hat, pipe, and sunglasses look to either be heavily tarnished or done in brown to make it less visible in the field.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The eagle and shield would have been done in embroidered metallic gold thread, as well as the "scrambled eggs" (oak leaves) depicted on the visor.

That depends on the image; this image suggests otherwise, and this picture of Macarthur's hat, pipe, and sunglasses look to either be heavily tarnished or done in brown to make it less visible in the field.

Just heavily tarnished. Four and Five star generals would not have been that close to the enemy to need a "field" version of this cap, which is in fact the cap worn with the dress "class A or B" or tropical garrison uniform. The gold thread tarnishes rapidly in the tropics, more so in and around the Pacific where MacArthur is most famous. No doubt this is the cap he wore daily. The "gold" thread is polished anodized brass wire wound around a central wire, so tarnishing is rather rapid. It's also likely he had several versions of the same cap to choose from-- he was a Five Star General after all, and could really wear what he wanted.
VR Russ
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just heavily tarnished. Four and Five star generals would not have been that close to the enemy to need a "field" version of this cap, which is in fact the cap worn with the dress "class A or B" or tropical garrison uniform.

Given the frequency with which the "brown" scrambled eggs appears in photographs of Macarthur, I suspect that they were deliberately tarnished (or deliberately not cleaned) as part of the image he chose to present.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:12 AM UTC
Deliberately tarnished? Could be or deliberate neglect-- It was not uncommon during the pre-war years for senior commanders (especially pilots) to affect that "50 mission crush" look for the class A cap, and make it look as used as possible to show they'd been around awhile. While Generalissimo of the Philippine Army prior to 1941, MacArthur designed their uniforms and his own. It was one of Eisenhower's sticking points when he worked for MacArthur in the Philippines that MacArthur seemed more concerned with how the troops looked than how they fought. And he mentioned in his letters that MacArthur held Sunday Morning "parades" in Manila. By 1940, Eisenhower was very displeased with MacArthur and sought assignment stateside, ending up at Fort Lewis WA.
VR, Russ
USRanger
Visit this Community
Vietnam
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 08:07 AM UTC
thank you for your details, I choose the yellow and gold light for cap details like the boxart since this way may bring to the bust quiet salient
hope you enjoy my version of the Famous Gen of XX
IMG_4651 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4717 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4718 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4793 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4795 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4657 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4656 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4655 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4653 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4653 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr

IMG_4650 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
IMG_4649 by U.S. Ranger, trên Flickr
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 08:19 AM UTC
This is truly exceptional artistic work-- if the rest of him were there I'd swear I was looking at the General in person-- photograph him from the shoulders up and I bet no one could tell the difference between your figure and a color photo of the real MacArthur! you are a real artist!
VR Russ
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:33 AM UTC
AMAZING paint job!

Cheers,
Joe
Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

MacArthurs cap was Khaki with Gold Buillion wire embroidery that was tarnished. His cap was sun faded and heavily sweat stained. and can be seen here-
http://travelphotobase.com/i/USVA/VAKMC32.JPG

Banshee3Actual
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Deliberately tarnished? Could be or deliberate neglect-- It was not uncommon during the pre-war years for senior commanders (especially pilots) to affect that "50 mission crush" look for the class A cap, and make it look as used as possible to show they'd been around awhile. While Generalissimo of the Philippine Army prior to 1941, MacArthur designed their uniforms and his own. It was one of Eisenhower's sticking points when he worked for MacArthur in the Philippines that MacArthur seemed more concerned with how the troops looked than how they fought. And he mentioned in his letters that MacArthur held Sunday Morning "parades" in Manila. By 1940, Eisenhower was very displeased with MacArthur and sought assignment stateside, ending up at Fort Lewis WA.
VR, Russ

Macarthur basically invented the crush cap style during WWI as seen here-
http://www.rainbowvets.org/
 _GOTOTOP