_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
German WW2 Canteen Color
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 06:13 PM UTC
Ever wondered if you got the right color on a German WW2 Canteen?

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
Great ref pic. This goes right along with the color of the uniform controversy. What is the "correct" color ?
There is no perfect answer.
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC
"Mouse-Gray", anyone?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
So the red-brown canteens are the canteens without the cloth (flannel or wool?) cover? They don't look metal. Is that a plastic, or bakelite material?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So the red-brown canteens are the canteens without the cloth (flannel or wool?) cover? They don't look metal. Is that a plastic, or bakelite material?

I thought they were aluminium, like US ones, but you're right the one top right does look like bakelite. The small black cups, 2nd and 3rd right top row and right on 2nd row are bakelite-they were known for breaking and it is not unusual to see canteens without them.
Thanks for the picture Kevin, I'll never worry again.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 03:54 AM UTC
Great pic Kevin, is this from a site with similiar item colours ?? Best regards....Dale
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 04:00 AM UTC
This is one of the things I love about the net. Not too many years a go we were restricted to either the excellent Histoire & Collections books or the Europa militaire books for colour reference pics of German equipment. Inevitably there would be one view where you wanted to know the colour of a particular piece of kit and it would be in shade or obscured. Now we are pretty much spoilt for choice due to collectors showing their collections. Multiple examples of the same thing shown at the same time so we now know more to the point what colours NOT to paint something as we can see the huge variations in colour. I found a site not long ago dedicated to German bayonets! It was pretty boring but the collection photos were useful showing the variation in handles. Different shades of wood, bakelite, it was all there. One site I use for reference is this one
http://www.mp44.nl/main_index.htm as this guys collection is superb and he knows what he's talking about. It also shows the layout of the kit so it's easier to understand how bits are attached and knowing which parts of your figure to alter to get pouches etc to lie properly. This ones brilliant for uniforms and their details. http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Galleries/Uniforms.html It's an antique dealer so stuff does vanish as it gets sold. I save items of interest on a memory stick to refer back to. Beacuse it's all original kit it illustrates how items fade and occasionally there's some weird and wonderful bits appear which aren't issue kit like officers camouflage tunics. I found it completely by accident which is usually the case when I find a good site lol.
 _GOTOTOP