_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Panda 1/35 Scale UH-1N
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 - 05:10 AM UTC
All,

So this is another up and down build - lots of work then nothing. Luckily I am in a "lots of work" phase and I will update as I continue to work. So the model is not that great. The parts all seem bloated and much thicker than they should be - confirmed with some DML/Dragon UH-1 kits and a visit to the local museum. The kit is a representative of the N model and if that is what you want then go for it! For me I am building this to hang from the ceiling in my sons room. As such, the model will represent one of two UH-1N models on lease to the National Science Foundation for work in Antarctica. The paint job is basically a white bottom and red top. Decals are available from Draw Decal - which are on order! As I progress I will update accordingly. As always if you see anything as I go please let me know - thanks!

Tim

ps - the white paint hides the gallons of putty and the trail of used sandpaper thanks to a less than tight fit!!!!

DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC
Updated pictures of the latest work. Now just to let the paint dry for a while take the maskings off and keep on working from there!

All masked up and ready for some red paint!

Now just to dry - I realized after I sprayed the red I should have done the whole model in red followed by the white - much easier to fix red corrections over white paint than the opposite! Excited to see how well my 3M Blue Tape and Tamiya masking tape worked!

DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 02:54 AM UTC
Wanted to post some pictures of the work I accomplished today. My two year old (the recipient of this finished kit) has "helped" me through the day The masking did very well and to confirm my fear I should have done red then white as opposed to white then red! The good part is the the Draw Decals sheet has a blue stripe that will cover some of the overspray between the two colors. Now for rotor blades and final detailing while I wait for the decals. As always anything I am missing or suggestions please let me know!

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:20 AM UTC
Wow! That's a really hot red. Can't lose that chopper.
Wherever the paint bled, use a toothpick or #11 blade to scrape the black or red paint off before you repaint the white. It'll make life easier. If you can't scrape, cover the bleed with grey, then white. It will cover a lot easier.
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:15 AM UTC
Matthew,

Thanks for the tips - my nephew (also 2 like my son) has requested a helicopter like this one so I will be able to practice!!!

Tim
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:18 AM UTC
Just a quick update. I was able to get the model to the point where all I can do is wait for the decals to arrive. I left off some of the antennas to make decal placement easier! Also, I received my shipment notification from Draw Decal today. Once I get them I will update with a mini-review of the decal set!

Tim

youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:08 AM UTC
Nice one Tim. I have those very decals as well and hope to build one someday. Another option to prevent the paint from bleed under the tape, after masking job just give it a spray of clear coat and it will seal any loose ends on the masking job. I was told this tip from car modelers and it worked out like a charm ever since
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:30 AM UTC
Mike,

Thanks for the tip on painting! I have a few tactics to try out as I have to basically reprint the bird. My masking job was good but the reference pictures that came with the kit mandate some re-spraying! Oh wells more practice and pictures to come!
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:41 AM UTC
Awesome bird Tim, looking forward to seeing this finished. I build helicopter for the most. I have some needing finishing and seeing yours has me wanting to finish them.

Tip: When masking I use Frog Tape, this [auto-censored] works great.

Frog Tape

Happy Modeling,
Joe
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Joe,

Thanks for the tip on the Frog Tape! I actually had to go back and re-mask/paint some of the model after I looked at the Draw Decal reference pictures. Nothing major just more tape and time. Thanks again!

Tim
Removed by original poster on 09/03/16 - 14:50:11 (GMT).
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
All,

Thanks to my very understanding wife I finally finished this build tonight. I used Draw Decals set to finish off the model and now it is proudly hanging from the ceiling in my 2 year olds bedroom! Too many hiccups to discuss but I am glad this one is finally built and done! Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions on the Draw Decal set please let me know - I do highly recommend them!

Cheers,

Tim
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
Wow Tim looks awesome. Paint and decals looks great and I love seeing the aircraft hung in a flying mode. Great Job dude!!!

Happy Modeling,
Joe
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:27 AM UTC
Joe,

Thanks so much I'm very happy with the result. Painting made me dust off my old skills from airplane building and painting! The decals were not as hard as I thought. The Draw Decal products performed exactly as advertised and the few problems were user error! I'm working on a review of the decals and hope to have it done this week! Thanks again.

Tim
 _GOTOTOP