_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rusty abandoned E-100
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi all,long time i post here...this is my first project after last year.And i almost finish it!Tracks,antenna,mud,etc....

Fast build just the way i like it.
I want a texture like real rusty heavy metal plates...so i use tamiya putty on it and work it out till my dream came out..

Any question are always welcome how a become this rusty beast!

Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC
Love it man. Nothing is quite as beautiful as a rusted out tank.
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love it man. Nothing is quite as beautiful as a rusted out tank.

I'm glad you like this part so far...
here is part 2

How to put tamiya putty on it?I put not to many at once on the plastic,if it's to less you can see it on the way it dry's out.
While you go over and over it till it's so dry it come off.
And that's the texture you gonna need for realistic iron.

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
Wow

Love your work man...
Rust em all...

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:23 PM UTC
Looks really good. One thing I see though, if it is abandoned, the driver's and TC's night sights would be the first two things that a Soldier would "liberate" off the tank to take home as a trophy. They would be gone as soon as the first Soldier found it. The headlight and IR spot up top would be the next two things a Soldier would decide to play baseball with; they would be gone as well. Knowing Soldiers the way I do (23 years active duty US Army), those items would be gone quickly. You may want to remove the above items.
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks really good. One thing I see though, if it is abandoned, the driver's and TC's night sights would be the first two things that a Soldier would "liberate" off the tank to take home as a trophy. They would be gone as soon as the first Soldier found it. The headlight and IR spot up top would be the next two things a Soldier would decide to play baseball with; they would be gone as well. Knowing Soldiers the way I do (23 years active duty US Army), those items would be gone quickly. You may want to remove the above items.

True!(but on the end 1945 they don't steal things like now!)
And i use the wrong word for this title
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure, keep fooling yourself with that one. Soldiers haven't changed that much.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And i use the wrong word for this title

Hate to break it to you, but yes they did. And if the soldiers themselves didn't get that stuff then the locals surely would. I've seen pic after pic where this has happened, and known vets who brought back all sorts of souvenirs from the war.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
While I like the painting technic for the rust effect and the various shades and strains, there's something about the general finish I can't get.
In which kind of scenario will this tank end so rusty?
Unless it was under water, a lot of time -and I mean a lot- would be necessary for that amount of rust and deterioration on iron plates of such thickness, while -as said before- IR equipment and headlight are still there almost unpolluted, and even a fur coat was left on the turret roof.

That aside, great painting and building abilities!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
Finally a thorough and comprehensive tutorial on really well-done deep rust! Thanks!
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:30 PM UTC
First of all: Very nice technique, need to keep that one in mind! But for a different metal plating indeed. Don't want to be a buster either, but we're talking cast steel plates here... it takes literally ages to rust them down that deeply... I mean you can place the beast in a setting lets say 50-60 years after the what-if war (because the tank itself is pure what-if itself) and make it look like it was outside all the time. But even then the rust would hardly be that deep, and we would probably see much more green on it like moss and vegetal cover... anyway, as said before: the technique is really nice, though!
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 03:34 PM UTC
Gino's right on stuff being liberated. You think how many pistols were handed in by surrendering officers that never actually made into the piles of captured arms but rather ended up in an enlisted mans kitbag. Soldiers always have and always will steal stuff even if later on they find it's too big to carry around with them and dump it. A bloke I served with got caught hiding an AK in bridging equipment after the Gulf war. If it's not weapons that are being liberated it's anything that looks vaguely interesting. The coat would have gone as well. If not to wear but to trade with a REMF for something useful like cigarettes/booze or money. Also something technical like IR kit would be taken off for testing or reverse engineering. Some units were formed especially for that purpose. When you consider that REME units finished off German tanks in factories, with assistance from the factory workers, to bring home for testing a night sight would have been snapped up.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 05:41 PM UTC
Also, seeing that the E100 was never completed and only one, partially assembles hull was ever built, it is all fictional anyways. None of his weathering, rusting, or any of the rest ever happened.

The only partially completed hull as it was captured at the end of WWII.

hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, seeing that the E100 was never completed and only one, partially assembles hull was ever built, it is all fictional anyways. None of his weathering, rusting, or any of the rest ever happened.

And we already know also that Trumpeter's E-100 turret is a direct copy of a "concept" idea of a fellow modeler, so it is fictional too.

Anyway, while the "rusting" process and techniques shown are impressive, I keep pointing out that this level of rust is almost impossible in that kind of vehicle -unless it is in a submarine scene and the tank was used as a coral-reef base, but yet it would be covered by... coral, submarine life and algae-

I'm convinced that what-if is one thing, and unrealistic is another one.
I know that's not everyone's taste, but why not to point it out so other newbie modelers may consider this approach too and not only the "artistic freedom"?
Just my 0.2

guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And we already know also that Trumpeter's E-100 turret is a direct copy of a "concept" idea of a fellow modeler, so it is fictional too.

Anyway, while the "rusting" process and techniques shown are impressive, I keep pointing out that this level of rust is almost impossible in that kind of vehicle -unless it is in a submarine scene and the tank was used as a coral-reef base, but yet it would be covered by... coral, submarine life and algae-

I'm convinced that what-if is one thing, and unrealistic is another one.
I know that's not everyone's taste, but why not to point it out so other newbie modelers may consider this approach too and not only the "artistic freedom"?
Just my 0.2

Can only second this!
razzie43
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:03 PM UTC
i just post here to help people not to start a politic scandal on history or "what if" science fiction story.

I just create things with the skills i have and go to a higher level.

Gino : gij zijt een stuk stront met ne lul in a kont!

Platycqb
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's not very nice.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Translation: "Gino: You are a piece of crap with a dick in your butt!"

Wow, that is really mature of you. Grow a little thicker skin buddy. It's only a hobby and I was only offering a bit of advice. If you can't take a bit of constructive criticism, don't post in open forums and end your post with "Any question are always welcome..." You may get questions you don't want to answer.
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
I still think it's great.

So what if it never existed. That's irrelevant. It's a great model...great art. And yes, plenty of tanks and cars exist today in fields that are easily that rusted out, if not more.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC
I think it looks great too. But one should expect some criticism while posting in an open forum. It's just part of it. The name calling is unwarranted though.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I still think it's great.

So what if it never existed. That's irrelevant. It's a great model...great art. And yes, plenty of tanks and cars exist today in fields that are easily that rusted out, if not more.

Well, I don't find it that great. That's it.
Great "rusting" job?
Yes, I also think that the model is a good sample of a deeply rusted vehicle.

On the other hand, I didn't see that much rust on a tank, even on the T-34's recently recovered from the bottom of a pond...
But that's for another discussion, not for this post.
I just pointed out what I found out of place in this model, and I keep seeing the same: great rusting for a Titanic model, way overdone for a tank -we are talking here about a heavy tank with really thick steel armor, not a car or a light armored vehicle-.
But if Razzie43 is happy with the final result, that should be the most important thing to him.

Last but not least, I'll say nothing about his comment for Gino, most of us know Gino well enough to need to answer that...
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:03 AM UTC
I will never understand why people post their work for others to look at and when constructive criticism is made they spit the dummy and become abusive. Whilst the techniques used look effective and are well executed they're not in line with that specific vehicle ie the extreme rust and paint wear on the hull top. Why can't people accept critiques graciously? I've seen other modellers do this recently, one in particular when glaring errors he's made are pointed out makes up some daft arsed implausible hypothetical story for why it is wrong rather than say "Thanks for pointing that out, I'd not realised. I'll correct that". Personally I'd be grateful for the advice. It's a pretty poor show when someone starts giving out abuse especially if it's in a foreign language you don't speak lol.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:22 AM UTC
Although I'm not a big fan of "paper panzers," I did find the rusting technique used here interesting and that's why I clicked on this post. But after seeing how thin-skinned the author is, not to mention his repulsive verbal abuse, I'd be disinclined to check out any future posts of his.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 01:24 AM UTC
Should be banned. Simple as that.
Mortifa
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 267 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 02:00 AM UTC
Very nice work, thank you for sharing.

I get what people mean about the looting of the vehicle, and would agree that under normal circumstances, those item would be gone.

Also I really dislike heavy weathering on vehicles and agree with the poster who stated that to many vehicles are over weathered, or, as he put it, weathered more than the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean. Yea, I do think we go overboard at times.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PTc49

This opened my eyes though. Chernobyl was within recent history for some of us, and Fukushima is even more recent. Yet looking at images from those you will see vehicles side by side that have vastly differing weathering effects.

Now as for the non-looted gear, well, even in the Chernobyl zone it looks like some people have gone in and grabbed stuff, but I do like the way the model has been done so far.

BTW, the original poster should not have made that rude comment and an apology would be appropriate.
 _GOTOTOP