_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Tiger 2
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:58 PM UTC
I think Im almost done with this for now, again.
Model was dropped by a cat while back and now Im at the home strectch on finishing it. This time with a base.

My very first go with the terrain/mud/grass and such like rust streaks. Also this is my "second" model, well first done again.

Model got updated with metal barrel, also tought to try something less "complete" with some missing fenders and so on. I wasnt for anything too accurate. Everything is painted with an airbrush (vallejo air/model color)(Detail handbrushed), freehanded the camo. Zimmerit is made from woodputty with DIY tool.
Im still missing the final filters and something minor like that, Rusty bits could use some toning down to fit better the whole scene/tank.
So anything I have overlooked/missed, shoot

Here is the tank first time around, before the damage.

"Birdseye"

Rear

Front,

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:33 AM UTC
I would suggest a set of photoetch engine grill screens. German heavies without them never look right (you needn't spend a fortune-there are small sets of just screens, including one from Tamiya, as well as an Eduard "Zoom" set).

A three-digit turret number would also be appropriate for the battalions that used King Tigers with Zimmerit.

Tiny bits of stretched sprue glued inside the exhaust pipes will simulate the pieces of wire welded in place to keep out grenades.

And overall, a bit more filth would be appropriate, using sprayed glazes, washes, or dry brushing (according to your preferences).I'm not a big fan of color modulation or extravagant paint fading effects on models, but real tanks do get really dirty, really quickly.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:28 AM UTC
Very nice build!

You should repaint the wire cutter handles as per this photo...they were not red.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2en0z1t.jpg

Cheers,
Joe
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 10:59 AM UTC
Very nice....the Wire cutter handle was made in Bakelite (the first plastic) the color of bakelite can be between dark to ligth brown to red-brown but not red
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:01 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments.
I wont be mixing this model PE even tho it would look better, so the provided vent covers are enough for now.
I repainted the cutters for more proper color. (thanks for the reference picture)
Will add some filter to break the clean look of the paint.

Turret numbering is something I tought of but I dont have proper stencils to paint them, I was able make the symbol with bits of masking tape and get if done like that.
I tried cutting water slides away to make a stencil, it was okay for the shape but I have no way of properly painting the white outline for the red numbers.

Is there printable stencil that I can cutout, or is ordering some PE stencils needed?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice....the Wire cutter handle was made in Bakelite (the first plastic) the color of bakelite can be between dark to ligth brown to red-brown but not red

AGREE- Red handles are basically Wal-Mart, Home-Depot-type "civilian" stuff...

You might also want to "highlight" the "high points" on the Cleats of your Tracks with a bit of graphite pencil lead, or VERY gently "dry-brush" them with a dull Steel color to show some "wear". You will also want to dry-brush some of that metal color onto your Sprocket Teeth, because these teeth are in constant mesh with your Tracks, so you will want to show this kind of wear, as well.

Conversely, you will also want to apply a "dirt-colored wash" to your Tracks, so that the wash settles in the recesses where dirt/dust/mud would naturally settle, or collect. You will probably want to add, or airbrush some of that "dirt-color" onto your Suspension Components, such as the Sprockets, Rear Idler Wheels & Road Wheels and also part way up your Dust-Shields.

I also happen to agree with Gerald on the points that he made about various ways of "weathering" and applying, (or not applying), "filters" to your Tiger II. Some modellers may not agree with me as far as really heavy weathering goes, but I myself, am a firm believer in "Less Is More". Applying TOO MUCH GUNK, can detract from a realistic model even MORE than NONE at all...

Also, regarding your "Numbers"- On German Tanks with "Zimmerit", the numbers were, many times, very much "less than perfect". I'm sure that Gerald can elaborate for you, but many times, these numbers were HAND-PAINTED onto the rough surfaces of the Zimmerit, resulting in numbers that even looked "sloppy", if you will. Stencils were also used, but even then, the numbers would not have looked like "perfectly applied decals", even though the Tank Crew may have tried very hard to make them look "perfect". Probably, the best thing to do is to check reference photos of German tanks with Zimmerit, either in books or online, to get some idea of what you may want to portray on your model...

Ask ALL the questions that you want- We'll all be happy to help you out in any way that we can...
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AGREE- Red handles are basically Wal-Mart, Home-Depot-type "civilian" stuff...

Would this be better color?
It will get slightly darker after the wash I will apply.

Quoted Text

You might also want to "highlight" the "high points" on the Cleats of your Tracks with a bit of graphite pencil lead, or VERY gently "dry-brush" them with a dull Steel color to show some "wear". You will also want to dry-brush some of that metal color onto your Sprocket Teeth, because these teeth are in constant mesh with your Tracks, so you will want to show this kind of wear, as well.

I did this before I "mudded" the tracks.
Here is one picture where you can see the tracks before the rust and mud after.

Another thing I was thinking of was that should I make the mud look more wet with gloss varnish etc. Tho I kinda like the matte dried up look myself.

Quoted Text

Conversely, you will also want to apply a "dirt-colored wash" to your Tracks, so that the wash settles in the recesses where dirt/dust/mud would naturally settle, or collect. You will probably want to add, or airbrush some of that "dirt-color" onto your Suspension Components, such as the Sprockets, Rear Idler Wheels & Road Wheels and also part way up your Dust-Shields.

Im not sure if the washes really do much as the tracks are so muddy?
I understand this when they are more clean and benefit from it, I tried this with rusty wash before the mud and it gave a nice tone to them.
Closer picture of the tracks.

Quoted Text

I also happen to agree with Gerald on the points that he made about various ways of "weathering" and applying, (or not applying), "filters" to your Tiger II. Some modellers may not agree with me as far as really heavy weathering goes, but I myself, am a firm believer in "Less Is More". Applying TOO MUCH GUNK, can detract from a realistic model even MORE than NONE at all...

Also, regarding your "Numbers"- On German Tanks with "Zimmerit", the numbers were, many times, very much "less than perfect". I'm sure that Gerald can elaborate for you, but many times, these numbers were HAND-PAINTED onto the rough surfaces of the Zimmerit, resulting in numbers that even looked "sloppy", if you will. Stencils were also used, but even then, the numbers would not have looked like "perfectly applied decals", even though the Tank Crew may have tried very hard to make them look "perfect". Probably, the best thing to do is to check reference photos of German tanks with Zimmerit, either in books or online, to get some idea of what you may want to portray on your model...

I tought so, but my attempt was quite awfull. Did the crews apply the numbers with a brush or spray gun. My understanding that tiger could be equiped with one.

Quoted Text

Ask ALL the questions that you want- We'll all be happy to help you out in any way that we can...

TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
2nd model eh? I must say the 'zim' looks well done.

Paint looks shiny - unless it is a rainy day! I tried that on a 1/72 model but it's hard to convey 'wetness' without context, though in this case you could have wet mud. Otherwise a clear matt will improve things I think.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC
Yes....now the wire cutter looks much better.
Cheers,
Joe
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Bakelite" was also manufactured in Black, not to argue with anyone, just saying...

Also, Bakelite wasn't very durable- It would chip, crack, and break, very easily... ABS has largely replaced Bakelite in many applications...
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 03:38 PM UTC
I think your tracks look great with the mud and grass.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"Bakelite" was also manufactured in Black, not to argue with anyone, just saying...

Also, Bakelite wasn't very durable- It would chip, crack, and break, very easily... ABS has largely replaced Bakelite in many applications...

Yep..i forget the black one ,i worked with Bakelite in motorbike restoration and can be very fragile,some time they mixed bachelite with saw dust,the color can be also "patchy",a bakelite classic was the old phone
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 02:39 PM UTC
So...
I think this is as done as It can be at this point. Moving to another project, that being dragon Panzer IV.

Final photos.
Changed I made was add wash, added tactical number, paint the periscopes and frontal MG.
I think the oil wash is still drying a little being shiny, may need to coat with matte varnish after a while. Tracks got nicer wet look tho

Tactical number is applied in the field in a hurry lol, but I think it brought some nice vibe to the whole build after all.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yep..i forget the black one ,i worked with Bakelite in motorbike restoration and can be very fragile,some time they mixed bachelite with saw dust,the color can be also "patchy",a bakelite classic was the old phone

Yeah, we had those old Bakelite 'phones in the 'States for a loooong time...

You know, I can even remember seeing a few of those Black phones actually being a "Black-Brown" color. It's possible that the Black phones were made by Bell Telephone Systems, and the "Black-Brown" ones by Western Electric, or possibly even Westinghouse..?
simonn
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:31 AM UTC
Looks great Samoll. I like the presentation in the long grass.

Simon
 _GOTOTOP