_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Trumpter M1A1turret fix
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
Well this is the way that I fix the turret problem on this kit . I'll just give a play by play on this deal .

Pic # 1 The start

pic # 2 Using the right turret face as a template for the left side

pic # 3 I like to cut the template a bit big so it leaves some room to work

pic # 4 Test fit of the paper template

pic # 5

pic # 6

pic # 7

pic # 8

pic # 9

pic # 10

pic # 11

pic #12

pic # 13 I hope these pics help those out that are building this kit for the group build
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
#:-) OK, you've got me. What was wrong with that turret? Which of the Trumpeter Chally2 kits was it?

BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC
Nice job on fixing the problem.

If I may input my own experiences in addressing the same issue:

What troubles me is that the missing part measures 4mm - as defined in the M1 Tweaks list. However, when I did that on my first Trumpeter M1, it seemed that the end result showed that the bottom of the turret face is now uneven with the opposite side (when looking at the turret head-on). This applies for the first triangluar piece that has to be made (shown in the 8th image above).

For the second triangle piece - when viewing the finished product from the left side of the tank, it does not show a defined upward slant towards the turret front, since one has to compensate for the extension made by the first triangle.

Therefore, I am actaully wondering if I did not follow the Tweaks List instructions correctly, or perhaps 4mm is a little too much...?

Hardest thing is I dont have a picture of my finished model to illustrate my concerns.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks.

BT6
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 06:16 PM UTC
I have the Trumpeter kit M1A1HA which obviously has the same turret problem. I f i dont missinterpret your photo correction work you add a whole sheet of plastic to the left side of the turret , so its not only that the shape in the front is wrong as i have read (i mean is lifted up ) there is also a thickness problem to the turret armor and have to put some additional plastic layer over. And then what happens to the other side. Excuse me if i didnt understand something obvious but i am starting the build and havent concluded to the solution i must give tio this major problem. If it is possible give me a detailed explanation or pm to me. Thanks a lot in advance
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 09:57 PM UTC
Nice One, Toad!
Thanx for sharing!
I tried to do the fix with putty, but it doesn't do the trick, cause while sanding I keep getting those rounded edges...
With this explaination I'll be able to re-do the fix,cause I can just put the styrene over the rest of the turret...
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
OK , starting with pic #5 : this is the paper template with the over sized plastic card
ppic # 6 : getting the forward edges drawn
pic # 7 and # 8 : the overhang this is where I measure the 4 mm
pic # 9 and # 10 : I add a plate to the side of the turret as well to hide the plate added to the front
pic # 11 and # 12 : filling in the underside - to keep the filler putty from melting the thin plastic card
and pic # 13 : I add the plate the entire legenth of the turret to avoid having to blend in the edge of the card stock , just have to remeber to punch out the locater holes for the sponson boxes .
Winchweight : this is the M1A1/A2 turret that Trumpter / Hobby craft use in their kits , I don't know about the Chally 2 - but am thinking about doing one .
Blackthor and Major_goose : The card is very thin so it really dosen't put the turret thickness out of scale - 4mm is what the tweaks list calls for - if I put the tape to mine it would be about 3mm - 2.5 mm
Jurgen : thought you might need this - good luck on your tank
I hope this helps someone on the m1 group build , this tank will be the KVT tank used by OPFOR at NTC FT.Irwin Califorina .
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:27 AM UTC
Thanks a lot for additional help ! i ll try and tell you
 _GOTOTOP