Hosted by Darren Baker
PSM to release a Canadian Lynx C&R
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC
Great news for modern Candian armor builders.
http://www.perfect-scale.de/index.php?language=en&=&=&XTCsid=09iolcavpoqr4hktiir2ut3ns7
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 08:28 PM UTC
Here's a link if you want to see the parts or want to order
http://www.perfect-scale.de/en/www--perfect-scale-de/M113-C-R-Lynx.html
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:10 PM UTC
I see some improvements over the Hobby Fan Lynx kit right away but I also see some areas of concern.

The Observers' machine gun should be a C5 GPMG and not a C6.

The anti-aircraft sight on the .50 Cal mount is far too small in diameter.

The .50 Cal ammunition tray and box are on the correct side for the timeline depicted with the UN markings but the circular mount for the night vision sight would not be fitted. The sight I got mount would not fit with the ammo box set up for a right hand belt feed. The ammo box and tray were changed to a left hand side feed when the night sight mount was retrofitted. The circular mount for the sight is also too small in diameter.

The Commander's hatch interior is void of any detail. It would be great to know if the Driver and Observer hatches can be opened and the positions hollow to add a full crew of three.

Hopefully PSM will provide options for some of these issues without the modeller having to correct them.

Keep in mind too that the Diehl track may or may not be the correct track based on the timeline depicted. The same goes for the hull side mounted grouser racks. The grouser racks weren't added until around the late 80's or early 90's so checking your references I'll be important for the version you are building. The kit obviously has parts for early and late versions from looking at the build images so with any luck more will be in the kit such as the front hull mounted wire cutter.

Thumbs up to Gerold at PSM for creating the new Lynx kit!

RobBye
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That deficiency jumped out at me right away too.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That deficiency jumped out at me right away too.

The kit description on the PSM does list an M1919 Machine Gun as being included in the kit so this should be an easy fix.

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC
In taking a look at the PSM images on their site compared to my personal reference images I am seeing lots of issues arising with the kit details.

I was really hoping this would be a great kit but it looks like it will need some work all the way around to make it accurate.

- The headlight guards are too short and too narrow.

- The trim vane manual lift is too long.

- The grouser rack PE end angled guards are too shallow.

- The smoke grenade dischargers are not the correct shape and the mounting brackets are too short and not the correct shape as well.

- The tow cable brackets on the rear hull are incorrectly placed.

- The Commander's cupola base looks incorrectly shaped for the actual top vision block portion of the cupola. There is too much overhang.

- .50 Cal mount upper and lower sights are incorrectly sized or missing altogether.

- .50 Cal should not have the butterfly trigger back plate fitted.

-One of the most prominent inaccuracies to me...the engine access hatch on the rear hull is too long, too narrow, and the hinges are too long.

I do like the visible weld seams on the hull but some are missing.

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this kit even with its faults.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC
With all these obvious deficiencies already identified ... it doesn't seem worthwhile considering this kit.
We will just have to wait for a new producer on this one then.

Cheers
Christopher
marcjac
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:00 PM UTC
Jason, you pointed out many wrong details. But honestly- most of them can be handled by a good modeller. Maybe PSM will fix them anyway.

I think the Lynx from PSM has many improvements instead the Hobbyfan one. And, don't forget, it's not so expensive. PSM is known as a perfectionist with really good models and details. I've never seen a model with perfect details on the market, anywhere.

My opinion about the model: The overall impression is really good. And if it is painted and wheathert it will get an eyecatcher. Nobody will measure out all details, or?

@Christopher: Do you really think someone else will produce the Lynx? So you have to wait until you die. I think this will be the last chance for someone who want's to build a Lynx.

These are my two cent's about this discussion.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
Marcjac .... you took the words right out of my mouth.
I seriously believe no company will touch this subject again ... maybe PSM should have done the M114 instead, for commercial reasons.

Cheers
Christopher
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 12:38 AM UTC
Most of these points can be fixed , just use great reference material to get things just right.
I served on these great machines and you loved them or hated them, once they were taken out of service, we missed them.

If anyone has any questions or needs help in building the kit, message me anytime. I did a section of this Canadian reference DVD that deals with the history & modifications done to the Lynx C & R and with many unpublished photos &reference material.

Cheers

Anthony

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 01:00 AM UTC
Marcus,

I understand your perspective. It is not all doom and gloom with this kit and there are positive aspects that will make this kit attractive to many modellers...myself included.

You are correct that some of the issues that I identified can be fixed by modellers. But, it is difficult for modellers to correct accuracy issues if someone does not take the time to point them out.

To counter my previous post identifying deficiencies in the new Lynx kit I have created this "pros" list:

1. The PSM Lynx kit is now the only 1/35 Lynx kit available since the Hobby Fan kit is out of production. Kudos to Gerold at PSM for taking the initiative for use the late Jürgen Kreissl's master to produce this kit. There is a good chance that the limited number of Hobby Fan Lynx kits still out there will go up in price.

2. Gerold did a great job of including PE parts in this kit to add additional detail. The Hobby Fan kit does not include any PE parts. Including the PE pasts is a huge leap over the Hobby Fan Lynx kit and a level of details we can come to expect from PSM.

3. The biggest issue with the Hobby Fan kit was the misshaped front fenders. The new PSM Lynx kit appears to have the correct shaped front fenders which is a very positive accuracy point.

4. The Hobby Fan kit has a raised rear engine access door while the PSM kit door is correctly recessed.

5. The Hobby Fan kit .50 Cal is set up for only left hand feed indicating a later version. The PSM kit will include the ability to mount the ammunition tray/box on the left or right hand side thus creating an early and late version Lynx. This provides more options to the modeller.

6. The PSM Lynx kit provides the grouser racks for a late version Lynx. This was not included in the Hobby Fan kit.

7. The "dog leg" mount for the Observer's machine gun was not included in the Hobby Fan kit. It is included in the PSM kit. As stated earlier the C5 GPMG is provided in the kit even though the build images show a C6 machine gun mounted.

8. The PSM Lynx kit will include two sets of decals. The Hobby Fan kit includes none and there are currently no aftermarket decals available for the Lynx.

9. The PSM Lynx kit includes the two proper antenna mounts. The Hobby Fan kit included only one mount and it is not as detailed.

10. The PSM Lynx kit included pioneer tools for the upper hull. The Hobby Fan kit was void of any tools.

11. The PSM Lynx kit includes details of the folded down fording screens for the upper hull engine grills. The Hobby Fan kit does not include these details.

Gerold and I have already been in contact and have been discussing the issues with the new Lynx kit. Gerold has already taken steps to correct the following parts:

1. The cupola base shape and overhang.

2. The engine access hatch size.

3. The tow cable mounting bracket positioning.

4. The shape of the grenade dischargers.

5. The instructions will show how to assemble the .50 Cal for right or left hand feed.

I think that is excellent customer service by Gerold to address these issues quickly during the initial release of the new Lynx kit. Unfortunately, Gerold was not able to stop the PE part production in order to make changes to the PE parts. Maybe in the future they will be able to be offered.

Issues like the butterfly triggers on the .50 Cal, the positioning of the tow cable brackets, and the trim vane level location can be fixed by the modeller.

The PSM Lynx kit appears void of any bottom hull detail. The Hobby Fan kit does include bottom hull access hatches. These won't be too hard to add for modellers who want that extra level of detail that will really not be visible.

I would never say never about not seeing a Lynx kit in injection moulded plastic. We have seen this time and time again with a variety of full resin kits or conversions eventually becoming mainstream plastic kits. But, for now and the foreseeable time being the new PSM kit is the kit to beat with respect to being a full resin and PE kit of this very important modern Canadian Recce AFV.

There are many positive aspects of the new PSM Lynx kit over the out of production Hobby Fan Lynx kit. Every kit has pros and cons and there is no such thing as a perfect kit. Each modeller will view a product differently depending on experience and skill level.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 03:52 AM UTC
Coming Soon!

Keep an eye out for details on my new reference image DVD specifically on the Canadian Lynx with a focus on all the details you need to make the new Perfect Scale Modellbau Lynx kit and the Hobby Fan Lynx kit the best they can be.

recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 11:08 AM UTC
As part of the .50 cal gunners kit, the spade/ butter fly grip was part of the gun kit, and was mounted when the solenoid was not working on the M26 commanders copula .

The kit is not really an early version, it would be mid/late from seeing what is in the photos, but can be back dated to an early version with no issues.

There is a timeline for the modifications that were completed to them, and not all Lynx's had them completed.

You would see a mix of modifications in a Lynx squadron , especially when they came back from re build.

Biggest thing is to track down actual in service photos with an associated time frame to see what they looked like. Walkarounds are great, but don't show in service vehicles and how they really looked with all the crew stowage and field mods done.

If some of the raised points are taken care of , should be great to see and most welcomed.

Anthony
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:48 AM UTC
I have received the Lynx kit and had a couple of seconds to give it a quick glance.

Check out Trackjam for a great price on the kit. A set of HKCW M113 Diehl tracks is also included if you purchase from Trackjam.

Some of the accuracy points that I raised here and with directly with Gerold have been amended in my kit.

- Cupola base shape corrected.
- Grenade discharger shape corrected.
- Rear hull engine access hatch size corrected.

If you look at the PSM site the Lynx images have been updated and more images with corrected parts added.

The UN decals are as seen in the images previously posted and the other decals are for a camouflaged Lynx...call sign 41F. Canadian Forces Registration numbers, Canadian flag markings, and Tac sign markings are also provided.

Would anyone be interested in a review of the kit?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:45 AM UTC
A full review would be appreciated
Preferably a build review showing the rest of us how to fix the remaining (minor ?) issues.
/ Robin
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some of the accuracy points that I raised here and with directly with Gerold have been amended in my kit.

- Cupola base shape corrected.
- Grenade discharger shape corrected.
- Rear hull engine access hatch size corrected.

That's what I call customer focused!

Quoted Text

Would anyone be interested in a review of the kit?

Sure would. I'm getting one from the good Colonel, but always nice to know what I'm getting into.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP