_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Academy Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer early
docbrick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

This is my most recent completed build.

I present the Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer early by Academy.

Any constructive comments are appreciated.

You can find more about this build on my blog:Bricker Industries
Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 11:58 AM UTC
Nice model and weathering Brett.
I have the kit in my stack, hope it will look like this one some day

Kind regards
Steven
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 01:29 PM UTC
Very nice Brett, the winter whitewash is really good.

As you ask for constructive comments, the part I like less is the muzzle, it should not be black. And I am not sure the spare tracks would rust that much in so little time this tank was in service, but if they did the surface underneath should be stained.

Anyway, I like it a lot.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 08:55 PM UTC
Nice work, very nice. Not sure about the weathering. I find weathering to be a bit frustrating since the accuracy is so subjective.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC
wow! mind-blowing weathering and fading effects; excellent work!
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
Really looks the part of a well worn Hetzer in late '44 or early '45. A couple points: 1) a bit more bare metal would likely be visible on the track cleats & guide horns; 2)(and this is a personal peeve of mine) I've seen other examples of vehicles bearing a winter whitewash that's wearing off, where the wash runs off & over every surface on the vehicle EXCEPT the markings(decals). Its' as though the crew took pains to clean off only the cross/star, etc. Just looks unreal to me.
docbrick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:51 PM UTC
First of all, thank you for your very kind and constructive comments. I am really enjoying the learning process from each build (this is my 5th serious build so far).

Quoted Text

Very nice Brett, the winter whitewash is really good.

As you ask for constructive comments, the part I like less is the muzzle, it should not be black. And I am not sure the spare tracks would rust that much in so little time this tank was in service, but if they did the surface underneath should be stained.

Anyway, I like it a lot.

Thanks Carlos. Good idea about the rust staining. As to the black of the barrel, that is supposed to be soot from the gun firing. Would this not be this case? I come from a firearms background and this typically happens quite a bit. However, maybe I applied too much black? Just curious of your thoughts on the subject.

Quoted Text

Really looks the part of a well worn Hetzer in late '44 or early '45. A couple points: 1) a bit more bare metal would likely be visible on the track cleats & guide horns; 2)(and this is a personal peeve of mine) I've seen other examples of vehicles bearing a winter whitewash that's wearing off, where the wash runs off & over every surface on the vehicle EXCEPT the markings(decals). Its' as though the crew took pains to clean off only the cross/star, etc. Just looks unreal to me.

Thanks Jack. Some very valid points. I did use some metal pigments on the tracks, but maybe not enough (I dont think the camera did a good job of picking it up either). I often find that "metal" paints come off as too artificial looking. Any recommendations for a more believable finish?

Quoted Text

Nice work, very nice. Not sure about the weathering. I find weathering to be a bit frustrating since the accuracy is so subjective.

Thanks David. I think artistic license is a very big fun part of this hobby, especially when it comes to weathering. Obviously, most weathering is probably too over the top for how long these vehicles often lasted in combat. But, it sure adds a lot of fun and visual appeal to our models (at least in my mind).

Thanks again everyone. I hope to improve further as I get more builds under my belt.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
How do they open the hatch with the MG that way?
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC
No, there was no black soot on German guns (and tanks). They used smokeless powder. There is a good number of close up muzzle brakes and never show any black.

Only whitewashed vehicles look darker but because of the contrast
docbrick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, there was no black soot on German guns (and tanks). They used smokeless powder. There is a good number of close up muzzle brakes and never show any black.

Interesting, as modern firearms use smokeless powder as well, yet you still get large amounts of soot/carbon deposits. I'll have to look further into the subject. Thanks for sharing and for the historical correction.
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:35 AM UTC
I've seen several photos showing blackened muzzle brakes on German armor. Not sure what is causing it, but many were black. And then you'll see photos where the muzzle brake looked practically clean.
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen several photos showing blackened muzzle brakes on German armor. Not sure what is causing it, but many were black. And then you'll see photos where the muzzle brake looked practically clean.

Flash heat cooking the paint?
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC
Well, I am yet to see a clear photo of a black, dirty muzzle. One of a vehicle in service (not destroyed), and close enough to discard shadows, contrasted paint or any other reason...

A quick search shows only clear & clean ones...

This one in colour:

Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
Absence of evidence of not evidence of absence.

I also love how one of the pics is of a guy cleaning the muzzle brake..haha.

But because I don't mind doing other people's research:
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 05:29 AM UTC
A whitewashed vehicle... just what I said I did not trust because of the contrast (see my second message).

Maybe you can show it on a yellow vehicle?

I know I can be wrong. But have to see it
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 05:57 AM UTC
Talking as a tank crewman who serviced lots of gun barrels; The pictures you have of the service vehicle clearly show soot. It's inside the muzzle break, not outside. You fire a machine gun and the exterior of the barrel is not covered in soot. Only the very tip and the inside of the barrel are black.

However that doesn't mean you won't get a batch of bad powder that makes the exterior of the mouth of the barrel sooty. It might even have been crew procedure to wipe down the muzzle break after action. I mean you are supposed to keep weapons clean to ensure they will function as needed. I have seen some who were obsessed with it.

Maybe this is the sloppy, lazy crew who just aren't into maintenance

That is a great finish on the kit.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 08:32 AM UTC
Brett, it's possible that the photos didn't show the bare metal. The method I use frequently is to have the tracks prepared up to the point of installing them on the vehicle. Then I carefully dry-brush Humbrol gun metal paint in small amounts on the guide horns until I'm satisfied with the look, and allow to dry for at least 24 hours. Then flip the tracks over & repeat the process on the cleats. The gun metal paint gives that "worn-bare look" without being too shiny. It works for the teeth on sprockets as well. Hope this helps, and I look forward to your next project!
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like how people say "never".
Smokeless powder is not COMPLETELY smokeless. Even after firing two or 3 rounds through any of my guns I can take a clean rag and wipe the OUTSIDE of the barrel near the muzzle and discover some residue.

A quick you tube search of German tanks firing brought up the following video of Whitman and his tiger. Around the 3:10 mark there is a clip of a Tiger firing it's main gun and you get a good glimpse of how much smoke a smokeless powder produces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWKfpOtFtBc

While I think this hetzer weathering is a little much for me, I still think it is very well done. Including the muzzle soot....
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC
Nice job
I agree that weathering is the fun part and i like what you have done
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How do they open the hatch with the MG that way?

The MG was remotely controlled from inside the vehicle. All that would be needed to open the hatch is to swivel the gun out of the way.
simonn
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
Brett

An excellent model. It looks so good I feel it must have existed just as you have shown it.

Simon
 _GOTOTOP