_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Academy: Sherman from The Bulge
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 12:41 PM UTC

Academy is releasing a new M4A3(76)W from the Battle of The Bulge with new tooled parts.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 03:27 AM UTC
You're kidding, right? Seriously? A "Sherman from The Bulge" indeed. Looks just like any of the tens of thousands of other M4A3s already offered. And they whine about it when someone releases another Tiger or Panther. At least they're DIFFERENT and not (usually) ONLY AVAILABLE IN GREEN.
digger303
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC
it's them just updating a sherman kit cause it was looking sad. Competition is hurting them
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 06:04 AM UTC
Academy never offered an M4A3 VVSS 76mm before. Italeri did and their kit is very dated.

Actually it looks like Academy is trying to preempt the next obvious Tamiya Sherman release. It's also an obvious progression from the M36B1. Surprised it took so long. Though the Academy Sherman isn't the idolized Asuka/Tasca it is still very good quality and good price. It's just fine for those of us on a budget and who can live without obscene levels of parts breakdown and details I will never see.

And I was so expecting these posts. So there's the bash of subject and bash of Academy. Just missing the quality question and the Bergepanther comment.

And there can never, ever, ever, ever be enough Sherman models. Maybe we'll see some Free French late M4A3 markings?
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 07:31 AM UTC
I watched the build video on the Academy site and honestly it looks pretty good, but what the $%&# is with Academy tracks? I had high hopes they would have improved them from past kits but no luck. Theres no reason this day and age with the material available that you should have to staple them together after melting them with a hot nail. I don't want to rip on Academy, but c'mon, get your tracks sorted
Charby
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 07:52 AM UTC
Just looked at the pictures of the assembled kit on the manufactuer's website, and honestly, I can't hrlp but wonder if the people at Academy actually take any measurements of the actual subjects or if they just eyeball the whole thing. I mean, just about everything about this kit looks weird, from the odd-shaped cupola to the narrow tracks, not to mention that MG pintle that looks like the guy operating the gun should actually stand up on the turret roof to do so. Did I hear anyone say "recessed welds"?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:18 AM UTC
Outside of the suspension (introduced a couple of years ago in the M36B1 kit) none of this kit is new. It's just a new mix of the same parts. So the shape wasn't wrong ten years ago in their earlier kits, it's not wrong now. It compared favorably with the Dragon Shermans. But as we all know if it is Academy it is crap. They don't do anything correct when it comes to armor. And it's still not a Bergepanther.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 09:02 PM UTC
i like Academy kits.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i like Academy kits.

I like 'em too-- especially for conversion and diorama work-- I bought the M4A1 with calliope which is another "new" kit. It is intended for a diorama of a tank from the 714th tank BN in the Philippines. There's a review of that kit here on Armorama somewhere. It's not a bad kit, is half the price of Asuka/Tasca and Dragon Shermans (if you can find them), and has some not bad accecceories (i.e; an open breech M2, choice of running gear, additional rivets and hull numbers, etc.). No denying it-- it has a few warts like the weld seams, but overall not too bad since it will be re-worked anyway. The tracks (which I probably won't use because of the grousers) are nicely detailed and are gluable with cyanoacrylate. I guess it comes down to this-- if you want a reasonably priced Sherman and aren't afraid to do a little work, buy the Academy kits-- if you want something out of the box without much work, go with somebody else, but frankly, I haven't found many "perfect" out of the box kits lately. Academy lets you cut up the plastic without feeling guilty about paying the high price.
VR, Russ
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:15 PM UTC
Having drunk from the Asuka/Tasca well many times, any other would taste very bitter
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having drunk from the Asuka/Tasca well many times, any other would taste very bitter

And others must either drink the bitter water or go thirsty. I might as well insist on Dom Perignon to drink as an Asuka/Tasca Sherman for all the good it will do me.
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:05 AM UTC
Like anything else I guess IMO no Sherman kit is without its faults. Asuka/Tasca don't seem to gave the rough texture of a Sherman casting, lack casting numbers and don't have rotatable periscopes (and at least some don't come with photo etch things like periscope guards). Dragon kits, well they have that old Italeri style suspension, many of the transmission covers are a bear to get to fit right and I hate their drive sprockets. Academy as has been pointed out have their faults, especially their track. I haven't done the more recent Tamiya M4A3E8 but their earlier Shermans had their problems as well. So it's really up to what you want to pay, what you can get (the Dragons and Asukas seem to go in and out of production, the Dragons really quickly. Sometime in 2017 they're supposed to re-release their M4A3 (75) and when they do I think I'll buy around 5 [I always wanted to have a platoon of them in the same scale]) and what you're willing to correct. Fortunately there are work-arounds for all the various faults with the various kits.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like anything else I guess IMO no Sherman kit is without its faults. Asuka/Tasca don't seem to gave the rough texture of a Sherman casting, lack casting numbers and don't have rotatable periscopes (and at least some don't come with photo etch things like periscope guards). Dragon kits, well they have that old Italeri style suspension, many of the transmission covers are a bear to get to fit right and I hate their drive sprockets. Academy as has been pointed out have their faults, especially their track. I haven't done the more recent Tamiya M4A3E8 but their earlier Shermans had their problems as well. So it's really up to what you want to pay, what you can get (the Dragons and Asukas seem to go in and out of production, the Dragons really quickly. Sometime in 2017 they're supposed to re-release their M4A3 (75) and when they do I think I'll buy around 5 [I always wanted to have a platoon of them in the same scale]) and what you're willing to correct. Fortunately there are work-arounds for all the various faults with the various kits.

I forgot to mention the Academy kits have photo etch guards and the periscopes are separate items for each hatch (on these "new" releases anyway").
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:54 AM UTC
And in some of the recent kits you get several extra periscopes and vision cupolas if you want to update any older Dragon or Tamiya kits you have cluttering up your stash.
Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC
Well I'm one of those guys 'on a budget', so I can't afford Asuka/Tasca.
I'm glad Academy is making these kits and just ordered the cheapest box of this Sherman I could find...
 _GOTOTOP