_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
old Monogram Sherman M4A1
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC
this was the figure that I was most excited to paint, it is the one that made me buy the kit again and is the one I remember from my childhood

Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
As always, beautiful paint job Doug!
Kind regards
Steven
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC
Super workmanship!!
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:09 AM UTC
stowage on the back
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
completed project
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:11 AM UTC
the other side, this picture got a little weird in the light and is not a real good shot.
SKiernan
Visit this Community
Dordogne, France
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 01:57 PM UTC
Doug

It looks great, you really taught that old dog some new tricks!!

Steve

ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 02:17 PM UTC
Simple elegance with stunning results...

DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC

Thanks so much for your kind words, it was a lot of fun to do.

Doug
crossracer
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 04:28 AM UTC
That looks great. Airfix has released most of their old 1/32 line which has a great crusader and a very nice Lee or grant.
Vemmadave
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi Doug, what paints do you use for the figures acrylic or oils!?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 06:37 AM UTC
Doug,

splendid work. I bought one of these last week to try to make one as well as your's.
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:49 AM UTC
Doug,

That is superb work. I cannot even begin to tell you how envious I am with respect to not only your painting ability, but your imagination in handling this kit.

I'm in the process of building the Screamin' Mimi version of this kit and I'm just hoping to not have too many visible seams and to have figures that look at least vaguely like human beings.

One technical question, because I'm trying to learn how to paint figures as best I can: what size brushes did you use in painting the eyes and the shading on your figures? I'm very tempted to experiment with your technique of doing shading first on the figures to see if I can paint something that looks like a human being.
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, the Monogram Merite series - I thought they looked familiar! I have a couple of them, the D-Day paratrooper and a Japanese infantryman. Thanks Stephen for the memory jog....

Yep-- those Merite figures are where I first learned how to paint miniatures back in 1968 or 69-- I had the Falschirmjager and the Berdan's Sharpshooter-- they came with a very thourough and fully illustrated painting guide with photos, including how to do faces and uniforms step by step. Why can't figure manufactures do that today? I went on to to the Soldier Shop in NY and Imrie-Risley 54mm figures, then on to Bugle and Guidon and Series 77-- but Merites were where figure painting started for me. As I recall, Monogram only released the 1/32 (54mm) Sherman, a Grant, a Mark IV, and the Whirlbelwind in this series, where there any more? Shep Paine was the builder for many of the later "white box" boxings, but I think there was an earlier blue box version too. Someone mentioned that Tamiya may have kept Monogram from doing more, but remember that Monogram was first with several 1/32 releases-- the M-16 half track, Weasel, Eager Beaver truck, Jeep and 37 mm gun (I still have mine, with the box), and the M48... and frankly they were better than the equivalent Tamiya stuff at the time-- It's just that Tamiya had more German WWII stuff out-- even though it was crap (anyone remember those rubber band tracks?). Anyway-- I'm following along with the rest of you on this "nostalgia build"-- it looks pretty good to me. Keep it up-- maybe there should be a campaign on the old stuff.
VR, Russ

Although I understand the cost savings, because they could use the M3 suspension from their M3 Lee and M3 Grant kits, it's a shame that Monogram didn't do a Vertical Volute Spring Suspension (VVSS) sprue for their Shermans since that was far more common than the M3 suspension on Shermans.

Regarding additional kits based on Monogram's Panzer IV, there were several:

A Sturmpanzer 43 (Brummbär):

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/185423-monogram-7506-sturmpanzer-43

A Sturmgeschuetz IV:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/185428-monogram-8220-sturmgeschutz-iv

A Panzerjager IV:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/130011-monogram-7505-panzerjager-iv

An Ostwind (in addition to the Wirbelwind you mentioned):

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/185424-monogram-7582-flakpanzer-iv

DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Doug, what paints do you use for the figures acrylic or oils!?

I use a water based acrylic paint called Reaper, very good fine pigment and does not dry too fast
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Doug,

That is superb work. I cannot even begin to tell you how envious I am with respect to not only your painting ability, but your imagination in handling this kit.

I'm in the process of building the Screamin' Mimi version of this kit and I'm just hoping to not have too many visible seams and to have figures that look at least vaguely like human beings.

good brushes are essential so I use Windsor Newton series 7, 0 and 00 most of the time.

One technical question, because I'm trying to learn how to paint figures as best I can: what size brushes did you use in painting the eyes and the shading on your figures? I'm very tempted to experiment with your technique of doing shading first on the figures to see if I can paint something that looks like a human being.

IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 01:19 AM UTC
Doug,

Thanks for that info. From reading online posts by miniatures painters and figure painter, I found out about Winsor Newton Series 7 brushes. So I do have a set from 2 down to 000 that I've been using.

I had also been reading lately that several miniature painters actually do not like to go below 00, and your info appear to confirm this. I need to keep reminding myself that it's the size of the point of the brush and the ability of the brush to hold that point, not the size of the brush that is most important.
DougCohen
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:22 PM UTC
you are so correct, the point of the brush is the point for sure.
 _GOTOTOP