_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
T70 Commission
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
It took me many more months than I planned, but I am happy with the result. I have added the two missing antennae. First time using the splatter technique. I am hoping my customer is as pleased, with it as I am.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 05:11 AM UTC
Looks pretty good. The full nomenclature for the US version was MBT-70. The Dragon kit (as you built) is actually the German version known as the KPz-70 (Kampfpanzer 70). The Dragon kit will only build into the German version. This kit has the German lights, exhaust grille, convoy alignment marker, smoke grenade launchers, and other detail fittings. The upper hull which has twin fans was not found on the US version either.

The modern grenade launcher and shield don't make sense where it is mounted either. That hatch is the spinning driver's position that always faced forward, no matter where the turret faced. It was very disorienting for the driver and a major downfall of the design.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The modern grenade launcher and shield don't make sense where it is mounted either. That hatch is the spinning driver's position that always faced forward, no matter where the turret faced. It was very disorienting for the driver and a major downfall of the design.

The buyer ok'd it.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The buyer ok'd it.

Just means he doesn't know what the hatch is for either.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:17 AM UTC
I suppose so. I don't do much modern armor. I intend to restrict myself to WWII, from now on.
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:27 AM UTC
Cool! I have one on the way to do a commission build as well, going to be a what-if, modernized version.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The buyer ok'd it.

Just means he doesn't know what the hatch is for either.

Coolness factor and dramatic impact can often outweigh accuracy. I write comics, what is accurate isn't always dramatic or visually stimulating. Other creators and I have discussed this, it's a hard call if you're doing more than just building a miniature .
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
I guess it depends on what you are trying to depict. I don't build "what-ifs", paper panzers, or fictional vehicles. I depict historical vehicles as accurately as possible. So to me, the added modern grenade launcher on the rotating driver's hatch is ridiculous.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool! I have one on the way to do a commission build as well, going to be a what-if, modernized version.

I remember someone on Beyond The Sprues with [except using the aurora 1/48] a similar idea adding a M68 gun and conventional driver's position. Have you seen it?
 _GOTOTOP