_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Info wanted 1/35 KMT-5 mine rollers
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:59 PM UTC
I know Trumpeter's KMT-5 mine rollers exist -- but could also use some work.

Are there any detailing accessories for it? Does anyone else manufacture a KMT-5 in 1/35?

Thanks a ton!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:09 PM UTC
I'm no expert, but am building an Academy IDF M-60 with KMT-4. From all I can see, the KMT-4 and KMT-5 appear to be very similar and I know there are replacement resin rollers for the former available. I had to make all new chain for my KMT-4, as the kit-provided chain was horribly inaccurate.

I also made my own suspension arm tension springs because the originals didn't look very spring-like; however, I later found photos that showed the originals were actually pretty accurate.

In my kit the suspension arm lift cables have a very poor cable texture molded in, and I have seen some people replace those with twisted wire (like tow cables), but close inspection of photos seem to indicate those are actually solid steel rods and should not have any texture to them.

Hope this is of some use.

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hi;

There are A number of kits that offer the KMT, and there used to be A couple of resin kits also. As you stated Trumpy, has A couple of kits that have the KMT, & there Abrams/Panther II offered the KMT & TWMP. The resin offerings are still out there but are very Hard to find these days. As for detail set's; I have never seen any. as for accuracy, all of them need extra details added.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:19 AM UTC
IIRC Trumpeter's ancient KMT-5 was an adapted copy of the Academy KMT-4 offering (some parts were truly different and newly tooled as opposed to just copied).

With that in mind maybe the rollers from DEF Model for the Academy KMT could be a useful upgrade?

http://defmodel.com/catalog/htm/dm35036.html

I'm buying DEF from Lucky Model in Hong Kong (good prices + free shipping) they restock fast on this line if one item is out of stock.

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP