_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
A Marine M1 by MENG
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hans, the original CWS(Commanders Weapon Station)is powered, in azimuth. The new(2012)SCWS(Stabilized Commanders Weapon Station) is powered in azimuth and elevation with stabilization while moving.

Mike sends . . .

SCWS(Stabilized Commanders Weapon Station). Patience Grasshopper.

Hi Mike,
Still waiting for some aftermarket action on SCWS. Any news?

James
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:41 AM UTC
None that I am aware of.

Mike sends . . .
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC
So would this kit build any tanks that would have been present in Iraq in 2003? I don't know enough about all of the US operations in that time frame to know if there were any Marine tanks involved in OIF.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Jim, the travel schedule is cloudy at the moment. Gerold at Perfect Scale Modellblau makes a nice USMC Abrams in A-stan set, #35085:
http://www.perfect-scale.de/en/www--perfect-scale-de-3/M1A1-USMC-Afghanistan.html

It is a very comprehensive set, just leave the MCD off the manhole cover in front of the Loaders Station.

Mike sends . . .

Hey Mike !

Here you go ... both done with PSM upgrades:

Without the new SCWS the new Meng kit does not really catch my attention ...
This MENG kit will probably be of good quality and detail and welcome for modelers who haven't done a USMC M1A1 yet, but with the trusted DRAGON AIM kit and AM upgrades such a project can be taken even further than this offering.
It would be a lost opportunity if Meng would have left out the loaders gun-shield (A-stan) not mentioning the SCWS to bring a new product up to date.
But if MENG pursues this approach with M1s I hope a M1/IP 105mm could be expected sometime in the near future ... and MENG please don't forget to leave the anti-skid surface off if doing a M1/IP 105mm !

Cheers
Christopher
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:51 PM UTC
Howdy Curt, yes this kit should be a good foundation for an USMC M1A1 OIF 2003 build. The use of USMC tanks in OIF is documented quite well in print and on this website. Time to use your search engine/feature.

Mike sends . . .
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:52 PM UTC
I just dont think there is enough information on the SCWS for any kit manufacture to kit one up accurately. I've scoured the internet and there is very little information on it.

Also not sure if this is true or not but are the Marine Corps dropping armored divisons?
Dj
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 09:59 PM UTC
Howdy Chris, very nice looking Hogs! I, as well as you and others look forward to seeing what is actually in the box. The kit would also need the Angled TI Phone box that was applied with the SCWS in 2012. No manufacturer, as far as I know, has produced the newer reinforced roadwheel hub caps that can be found on every users Abrams.

Mike sends . . .
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:27 PM UTC
Howdy DJ, the USMC has never had any armor divisions, only battalions, separate companies and detachments. Post Desert Storm the USMC began reducing its five remaining tank battalions. In 1992 3rd Tank Bn was disbanded. The two tank companies that were on Okinawa were also cut. That left two active battalions, 1st and 2nd and two Reserve Battalions, 4th and 8th. 8th Tank Bn HQ and two gun companies were slashed around 2004 becoming Fleet Ant-Terrorism units. The two remaining gun companies were rolled up into 4th Tank Bn (RES) giving it six gun companies. In the past four years 2nd Tank Bn has been reduced to 2 gun companies and lost its Scout Platoon.

Outta here, Mike sends . . .
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:58 PM UTC
Mike,
Thanks for the clarification. I knew the Marines called them Battalions I had a brain fart,
On the rib reinforced center hub covers DEF models makes an M1A2 Sep V2 resin update set for the dragon kit which has these hubs included.
Maybe one of these 3D printer guys can look into making these for us.
Dj
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No manufacturer, as far as I know, has produced the newer reinforced roadwheel hub caps that can be found on every users Abrams.

Hi Mike - the new Academy M1A2 includes these.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just dont think there is enough information on the SCWS for any kit manufacture to kit one up accurately. I've scoured the internet and there is very little information on it.

I found about 30 pics on the net but only some are close enough to get the shape of the SCWS right. Maybe I should give the pics to Yaroslav from Live Resin?
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So would this kit build any tanks that would have been present in Iraq in 2003? I don't know enough about all of the US operations in that time frame to know if there were any Marine tanks involved in OIF.

Concord Publications had a few titles from that period that included the M1A1 that are pretty good, the books aren't dedicated specifically to the M1A1 but USMC in general during OIF. "Marines on the Ground" OIF Parts 1 and 2. Worth checking out if you're interested in USMC OIF.
rmadfire1
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 12:30 AM UTC
I've been working on and off on my Dragon M1A1 with bits and pieces taken from a variety of other kits to make my USMC hog...I really need to finish that up. Its a wonder why no other kit manufactures haven't picked up on producing a USMC M1A1 till now. I feel the USMC M1 has great modeling potential for the modeler with so many different ways to build it.
DJ
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Concord Publications had a few titles from that period that included the M1A1 that are pretty good, the books aren't dedicated specifically to the M1A1 but USMC in general during OIF. "Marines on the Ground" OIF Parts 1 and 2. Worth checking out if you're interested in USMC OIF.

Thanks for this info, and to Mike Mummey's post was well.
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:27 AM UTC
Howdy Curt, the Tamiya OIF Abrams M1A2/M1A1 #35269 is also a good base to build a Jarhead hog from OIF 2003. You will need to source a BRE(Bustle Rack Extension).

There is a good OIF Abrams build in MMIR #38 by Dave Vickers which is still available:

http://www.ampersandpubco.com/mmir

And there are several USMC OIF sheets out there by Lawrence of Echelon Fine Details:

http://www.echelonfd.com/

If they are out of print you may find them on evilbay.

And go to Pawel's site and the features page for a very in depth review of the 1/35 Abrams kits from a few years back:

http://www.vodnik.net/

Ed, I will run down one of the new Academy kits to see the those reinforced roadwheel hub caps.

Off the net for awhile.
Mike sends . . .
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hans-Hermann, I would really like to see Live-Resin develop the SCWS. Yaroslav would be able to do a fantastic job on it.

Regards,

Eric
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Hisham for the info! I hope this is for true! What is the source of the picture? Is it reliable because you also posted a same photo for a BMR-3M release from MENG! It would be great to have at last a M1 USMC!

Photo is by David Parker so it can be trusted.
 _GOTOTOP