_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
A Couple of Questions (King Tiger related)
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hello guys!
OK, I'm a happy owner of a 1/35-th scale Tamiya Jagdtiger. And you know what? All of its road wheels and extensions/hubs have off-centered holes to mount onto the swing arms
Could you please have a look at the same kit in your stash and clarify this situation? I don't think I'm the only one.

And one more thing. I plan to buy Trumpeter's Grille 17. It has the same road wheels as King Tiger. Again, what is the diameter of swing arm in this kit? Will Dragon KT wheels fit?
The reason I ask is because Trumpeter kits sometimes have moulding issues.

Tanks in advance,
Paul
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
I don't have any of those myself but it might be worth clarifying which Tamiya Jagdtiger you have, as there were two very different releases. One was from the 1970s and is too short because it uses the Tiger B hull but there was a new tool one released a few years ago. This might avoid any confusion with responses if people know which one you have.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 08:59 PM UTC
I've got the 35307 kit and it doesn't appear to have the issue you describe.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 10:07 PM UTC
OK, that's the new tool one. The 'too short' issue relates to the real vehicle rather than other parts of the 1970s kit. I'm sure it all fitted together with typical Tamiya precision but for whatever reason, the designer did it allow for the fact that the hull of a JT was longer tan that of a Tiger B.

Anyway, hope you get an answer to your query, although poorly fitting parts is an uncommon issue with Tamiya in my experience.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:23 PM UTC
I've not built either one, but I am curious about what you mean by off-center holes? Are you saying it looks like they were molded incorrectly? Have you tried dry-fitting to see how they look on the vehicle?

As said, Tamiya is not known for poor fits but an alignment issue with the mold is not impossible.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:25 PM UTC
Thank you guys!
I own 35307 too. It shares most sprues with their earlier 35295 from 2008. My boxing also has all pins off-centered in relation to the corresponding nuts on the rear hull plate. Same moulds, different result...Why???
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've not built either one, but I am curious about what you mean by off-center holes? Are you saying it looks like they were molded incorrectly? Have you tried dry-fitting to see how they look on the vehicle?

As said, Tamiya is not known for poor fits but an alignment issue with the mold is not impossible.

They seem fine on their outer surface, but when you look into the 'tube' of the road wheel (the part of the wheel you insert a swing arm into) you notice the wall thickness around the mounting hole is not uniform...
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC
Like its tapered?
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 06:59 AM UTC
Oh dang
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh dang

Yup.

I've not seen that on a Tamiya kit, but I've only built the 70's issues. But this is a 2008 tool Jagdtiger and should be greatly improved as most of their new tools are.

I've only been able to find a couple of builds online - although I know more people personally who have built this kit - but no one has mentioned this issue.

But if this was an accidental misalign on the mold, it should have affected the other parts on that sprue (if there were any) I would think. Have you noticed any other parts off that sprue that seem janky?

They do have great customer service, and most likely will provide a replacement if you contact them.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 04:10 PM UTC
The evidence of misalignment issue:

By the way, I saw the same thing on my AFV Club Factory 174 T-34/85 road wheels too...
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The evidence of misalignment issue:

By the way, I saw the same thing on my AFV Club Factory 174 T-34/85 road wheels too...

You gotta be kidding, right? that's hardly half a mm of misalignment, on parts that would have moved up and down in real life anyway (running gear). Hardly a problem: just use the - barely noticeable - misalignement as a means to show a depressed or heightened swing arm. Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

I'll try better: the side of the road wheel where it is most misaligned should be on the vertical axis of the swing arm, resulting on incresed or decreased overall height of the assembly. This way, you can simulate the swing arm to have pivoted up or down. If you choose the up position on every raod wheel, it will simulate the entire suspension being under stres, maybe because the vehicle is fully loaded, refueled and possibly recevied some extra weight.

If you alternate the "up" and "down" positions of the road wheels, it will resemble a suspension adapting to uneven ground.

Noone will ever notice that the individual road wheel is not perfectly aligned with the (hidden) swing arm.

Only remaining issue could be the hub cap of the axle that will equally be misaglined. This you could solve by shaving the hub cap off and repositioning it in the center of the raod wheel once the axle(swing arm/ road wheel assembly is done.

Just my 2 cents
 _GOTOTOP