_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Academy M60A1
TankerTweaker
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 04:57 AM UTC
First one for the year. OOB Hope you enjoy the pics.

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 05:16 AM UTC
Nice! I like how you have the paint scuffed around the hatches. You tail lights are the wrong colors though. Some are supposed to be black (IR). Don't remember which.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 08:50 PM UTC
Very well finished, well done. I also like the fact that it's OOB, something I have a hard problem doing.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:31 PM UTC
Fabulous job, on the finish. I always liked the rise armor, but refuse to buy kits that need serious surgery.
qcarr1
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 09:52 PM UTC
Great job, Alan - the tank looks awesome! I have that kit and my queue and am looking forward to it.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fabulous job, on the finish. I always liked the rise armor, but refuse to buy kits that need serious surgery.

There is no such thing as "rise armor". RISE upgrade had nothing to do with armor.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:32 PM UTC
Very nice finish and weathering. What color/colors did you use?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You tail lights are the wrong colors though. Some are supposed to be black (IR). Don't remember which.

Only the left side upper oval should be red. The other lights are part of the black-out drive/stop system and appear as black bars. They are not IR though, but just show small slits of light. At the proper distance, they should look like two vertical slits on each side. Too close and you only see one, too far away and you can't see them at all.

M60A3, but the light are the same.

Overall, it looks very nice. One other issue though is the camo painted bags. During ODS ('90-'91), all bags were green. There was a camo cover for the bags that made them into undistinguishable blobs like big pillows. None of the bags in the kit have the cover on them though.

Covered rucksack during ODS.

Covered rucksacks on the back of a HMMWV.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There is no such thing as "rise armor". RISE upgrade had nothing to do with armor.

You must excuse me. Modern armor is not my forte.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The model is of a USMC M60A1 RISE/Passive tank w/ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) from Operation Desert Storm (ODS) '90-'91.

A little research goes a long way...

"In 1975, the M60A1 RISE meaning Reliability Improved Selected Equipment was introduced. Its AVDS-1790-2C diesel engine featured several changes in order to improve service life and reliability: new top-loading air cleaners; stronger cylinders; improved starter, fuel injection lines, and nozzles; and better turbo-superchargers. A new 650 ampere oil cooled alternator, a solid state regulator and new wiring harness with more accessible disconnect were also incorporated into its electrical system.

The M60A1 RISE/PASSIVE, which debuted in 1977, featured passive night vision sights for gunner and commander, a new night vision device for the driver and a deep water fording kit.

The M60A1 RISE/Passive of the USMC saw action during Operation Desert Storm in the 1991 Persian Gulf War, opposing Iraqi armor which included the T-54, T-55, T-62, Type 69, and T-72. The M60A1s were fitted with add-on Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) packages and supported the drive into Kuwait City, where they were involved in a two-day tank battle at the Kuwait airport with ten tanks lost, and destroying over 100 Iraqi tanks."

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The model is of a USMC M60A1 RISE/Passive tank w/ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) from Operation Desert Storm (ODS) '90-'91.

A little research goes a long way...

"In 1975, the M60A1 RISE meaning Reliability Improved Selected Equipment was introduced. Its AVDS-1790-2C diesel engine featured several changes in order to improve service life and reliability: new top-loading air cleaners; stronger cylinders; improved starter, fuel injection lines, and nozzles; and better turbo-superchargers. A new 650 ampere oil cooled alternator, a solid state regulator and new wiring harness with more accessible disconnect were also incorporated into its electrical system.

The M60A1 RISE/PASSIVE, which debuted in 1977, featured passive night vision sights for gunner and commander, a new night vision device for the driver and a deep water fording kit.

The M60A1 RISE/Passive of the USMC saw action during Operation Desert Storm in the 1991 Persian Gulf War, opposing Iraqi armor which included the T-54, T-55, T-62, Type 69, and T-72. The M60A1s were fitted with add-on Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) packages and supported the drive into Kuwait City, where they were involved in a two-day tank battle at the Kuwait airport with ten tanks lost, and destroying over 100 Iraqi tanks."

Thanks Gino. This is very enlightening.
TankerTweaker
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice finish and weathering. What color/colors did you use?

I used Model Master Army/Marine Sand enamel, sand colored wash and some earth colored pastels.
TankerTweaker
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You tail lights are the wrong colors though. Some are supposed to be black (IR). Don't remember which.

Only the left side upper oval should be red. The other lights are part of the black-out drive/stop system and appear as black bars. They are not IR though, but just show small slits of light. At the proper distance, they should look like two vertical slits on each side. Too close and you only see one, too far away and you can't see them at all.

M60A3, but the light are the same.

Overall, it looks very nice. One other issue though is the camo painted bags. During ODS ('90-'91), all bags were green. There was a camo cover for the bags that made them into undistinguishable blobs like big pillows. None of the bags in the kit have the cover on them though.

Covered rucksack during ODS.

Covered rucksacks on the back of a HMMWV.

The instructions were no help with painting the tail lights. I used the box pictures as a reference. You'd think the kit manufacture could get the colors right.

Thanks for the info on the camo covers. I had no idea covers were used.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:58 AM UTC
Looks really good. The shadows really make the piece. Sure some things aren't accurate but the camo packs add variety just the same as the red tail lights add a splash of color.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The instructions were no help with painting the tail lights.

The instructions are not usually big on accuracy. Its best to find pictures of your subject and copy them as close as you can.

Quoted Text

Sure some things aren't accurate but the camo packs add variety just the same as the red tail lights add a splash of color.

Just depends on what you want to depict; accuracy or artistic license. I'll stick with accuracy.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The instructions were no help with painting the tail lights.

The instructions are not usually big on accuracy. Its best to find pictures of your subject and copy them as close as you can.

Quoted Text

Sure some things aren't accurate but the camo packs add variety just the same as the red tail lights add a splash of color.

Just depends on what you want to depict; accuracy or artistic license. I'll stick with accuracy.

Gino, I was trying to be nice about the piece rather than nit pick it to death. As former tank crewman there are so many things I can point out as inaccuracies but I am just not willing to go there.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:17 PM UTC
Not nit-picking, just providing constructive comments. Atta-boys all the time don't help anyone improve.
TankerTweaker
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not nit-picking, just providing constructive comments. Atta-boys all the time don't help anyone improve.

Gino, I don't mind the nit-picking. I'm sure there are a lot of things that I could have done to this kit, aerial antenna for one, it has the springy thingy for it just did not think about it. Some day I will make the perfect model but it won't be armor. Probably and aircraft.

Alan M.
 _GOTOTOP