_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
F-350 Conversion parts
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 04:21 PM UTC
All,

I'm looking to gauge interest in 1/35 scale conversion parts to go with Meng's F-350 and Hilux.

Wheel/tire options for both, as well as a dually conversion for the F-350, and possibly another front grill option (different headlights) for the F-350 as well.

I need to see where the break even point is as I'd have to have parts 3D scanned into cad to make the modifications. (looking into the costs now) I have a resin caster lined up, but he wants to be sure there's interest before he'll commit.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:16 PM UTC
I'm in for the the dually wheels. I have the Meng F350 and thought its an nice kit, I just don't know what to do with it.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:38 PM UTC
I would definitely be interested in some new update parts for them both. I am especially interested in the reworked light clusters for the F-350 fleet package. The dualies sound great too.

Quoted Text

I have the Meng F350 and thought its an nice kit, I just don't know what to do with it.

Check here for quite a few options.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hey Matt. Besides alternate wheel options, any plans for other parts for the Meng Hi-Lux or Land Cruiser Pick-me-up's?
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:54 PM UTC
Matt, there have already been many threads here on Armorama pleading with the aftermarket to do just what you propose. If you were to produce parts for the F350 to convert it into a fleet package truck you would have a winner. I don't know about a dually. I don't recall any photos of those in use in areas I'm interested in. A fleet type grill would enable so many options for police, fire and improvised/rebel forces builds. Light bars of the type used on police vehicles in the middle East cast in clear resin would be fantastic as well. It would also be a great help if you were to cast the new headlights and turn indicators for your grill in clear resin. Fender flares are also seen in many photos of custom manufactured security contractor vehicles. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Eric
GeoffSteer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:04 PM UTC
I'd like to see the tail gate doors with the raised "TOYOTA" logo on them as seen on the real vehicles. I suppose Meng did not do this to avoid trade mark infringement problems with Toyota. I guess you would have the same problem. Still, the logo is missing and should be there.
HTH
Geoff Steer
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:02 PM UTC
Geoff, I have to disagree on the Toyota logo on the tailgate. Every photo of the Hilux from that period (around 1997) that I was able to find, with the type of tailgate/bed that MENG depicts shows a decal for the logo. MENG's truck has the smooth sided bed without the exterior tie down hooks. I only found photos of the embossed Toyota logo on those trucks with the bed that had the exterior tie down hooks.

Regards,

Eric
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:23 PM UTC
Produce the F350 parts in 1/24th scale also. That would sell like mad with the automotive modelers.

G
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:27 PM UTC
The idea is in it's infancy at the moment. 3D printed wheels are running over $40 per set (of 4/5) and I don't sell many.

I'm finding several versions (headlight/amber marker light switched from top to bottom, seems to be a 2008/2009 switch??

I was looking to try to work with a resin caster on them, to try to get the cost down, but he wants a return on his investment as well. If I can be sure there's interest, he might be more willing to do them. I still have to look into getting the parts 3D Scanned to make the masters though.

I have a set of wheels/tires for the Hilux but they're $30/set printed. If I can get the 3D scanning done reasonable, fender flares and stuff like that will be a ton easier. I do plan on picking up the other 2 pickups here in the next couple of months as funds allow. But feel free to toss ideas at me. even though I have a several month backlog in 3D projects at the moment.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Produce the F350 parts in 1/24th scale also. That would sell like mad with the automotive modelers.

G

I WISH the kits scaled each other... There's some differences on the bumpers (I already have several for each scale in my Shapeways store: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/downrangeproductions1-35th-scale
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 02:59 PM UTC
Gino,

This is what you're looking for correct????
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 05:47 PM UTC
Yup, that is exactly what I am talking about. If you could make parts to convert it into a Fleet Package F-350, that would be great.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 06:11 PM UTC
I need to take some pics of the parts today and email the guy that does the 3D scanning for us at work, and see if it's something he can do for a reasonable cost. Fingers Crossed!!!
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Matt. Besides alternate wheel options, any plans for other parts for the Meng Hi-Lux or Land Cruiser Pick-me-up's?

A little off subject but id love to see Meng do a
Toyota Tacoma with all the special forces bells ands whistles which is more in line with what the
Special Forces used in A-stan
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bumpers, fender flairs, and whatever else you guys might want! Low demand stuff will prolly be 3D printed.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC
How about a conversion set to make it a F250, you could then do matching wheels of the Texas plumbers truck that turned up in Syria?
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 04:20 AM UTC
Afghan National Police set.... *drops mic*

:)
WXerock
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 12:54 PM UTC
Mike, the Texas plumber's truck wasn't a four door, it was only a two door cab and was an older generation truck. The conversion would be very involved.

Regards,

Eric
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Eric,

Thanks for that, but damn there goes that idea then lol

Cheers Mike
AlexelA
Visit this Community
Alvsborgs, Sweden
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:21 PM UTC
Bumpers, fender flairs, and whatever else you guys might want! Low demand stuff will prolly be 3D printed.[/quote]

Please give us some 1/35 scale lightbars in different shapes. I have been searching the internet and could not find anything interesting.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bumpers, fender flairs, and whatever else you guys might want! Low demand stuff will prolly be 3D printed.

Sounds good! Very interested in updating truck kit to match current day news events. Thanks! Stuart
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:22 PM UTC
I sent some pics with a ruler to my 3D scanning contact, and I'm waiting to hear back on cost. Fingers crossed the const is reasonable.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
I think this would probably require replacing everything behind the B pillar as it is based on a 2-door cab, but what about the Ricardo patrol vehicle? I know the Irish Army Ranger Wing use it, but not sure if anyone else does.

The UK TAVERN protected vehicle used for a short time in Northern Ireland to replace both SNATCH and SAXON was based on an F350 (an overloaded F350!). But only the chassis from the Meng kit would be carried over.
 _GOTOTOP