_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
homemade building ametuer style
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:07 PM UTC
I have been experimenting on homemade building recently tying to save some money. I had been looking at a few posts on the sight and tried to have a go and make some of own. Bare in mind these are my first attempts and no accurate

The materials I used were

foam card - for the structure
pins - to connect the walls
plastic strips
balsa wood
glue
engraved plasticard (brick shaped etc...)
see through plastic from blister packs
cork roll - for walls

the measurements I have used are a just guest-I-mations

first I cut the foam card along with windows and doors

then I used pins to connect the walls and then glues cork role to build part of the building front

then I added the brick print plasticard in the middle and the top of the building. Then for the roof tiles I used plasticard roof tiles. the started on the window stills with plastic strips

Then painted

windows added and sign post

I then used the same process to make 2 Tudor style buildings. I made window frames for the black and white tudor house. Using the silicone and corn flower technique. The roof tiles are brick style plasticard, cut into strips

the 2nd Tudor house I made a silicone mould for the roof and used plaster. Big mistake, as the plaster of paris would not adhere to the top of the house when glued. Did eventually when I found the right glue

and now a small dio that I am going to starting building

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:33 PM UTC
Fantastic-looking buildings, particularly in light of being your first attempt. Very impressive! (although it doesn't look like your wife is very impressed in the background)

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:41 PM UTC
Very nice buildings. One thing you might want to consider is to angle the buildings and tank so that they are not parallel to any of the sides of the base. Regardless you are off to a terrific start with those buildings.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing you might want to consider is to angle the buildings and tank so that they are not parallel to any of the sides of the base.

Ive seen this in several diorama pictures. Coming from a non-artistic noob. What is the reason behind the idea?

I agree, fantastic work!!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC
By placing the axis of the vignette at an oblique angle to the base it creates the appearance of having taken a slice out of reality.

Think of it like a 3D photo. You're trying to capture a moment in time. You never see photos in which the streets and shapes are perfectly lined up with the frame, except for some thoroughly staged photos; but then ask yourself if those look like they are trying to capture an object or a moment? If you are showcasing a single vehicle on a base, then it's fine to line it up with the base, but if you're trying to bring an entire scene to life, placing it at an angles make it look less staged.

11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By placing the axis of the vignette at an oblique angle to the base it creates the appearance of having taken a slice out of reality.

Think of it like a 3D photo. You're trying to capture a moment in time. You never see photos in which the streets and shapes are perfectly lined up with the frame, except for some thoroughly staged photos; but then ask yourself if those look like they are trying to capture an object or a moment? If you are showcasing a single vehicle on a base, then it's fine to line it up with the base, but if you're trying to bring an entire scene to life, placing it at an angles make it look less staged.

Cool, thanks for that. Makes absolute sense.
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 02:03 AM UTC
mark - thanks for the comments - re;- my wife I am a man she is never happy ha ha ha ha. she is Sitting in waiting for storm DORIS to pass

dvsand, mark, - I will bare in mind what you have said and have a play around with the lay out

Ivan - the idea was that I would like to buy miniart buildings, but they would cost a fair bit If I wanted a couple on the board and the hobby is getting more expensive. I was just being a tight arse really and I have seen some good homemade building on this site and got some inspiration

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 03:52 AM UTC
A very good beginning to your dio Gary! Your buildings are way ahead of mine when I first started to make dioramas. And way cheaper than Miniart ones too. Plus the fact they are created from your own minds eye view. The angling of diorama artifacts on a base was made popular by Shep Paine, one of the original masters of the diorama. As said already, it helps to create the drama, and eliminate the sense of structure and order... two things seldom seen by the human eyes in real 1:1 scale.

Great job, looking forward to the next update...

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 06:19 AM UTC
It doesn't need to be a dramatic shift. Just a slight adjustment will probably give the desired effect. Once you have decided on all the major elements play around with different arrangements to see which one provides the most balance, sense of drama, and the particular element you are trying to showcase be it a vehicle, group of soldiers, etc. In short, some arrangements and angles will help you tell your story better than others. Good luck.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ivan - the idea was that I would like to buy miniart buildings, but they would cost a fair bit If I wanted a couple on the board and the hobby is getting more expensive. I was just being a tight arse really and I have seen some good homemade building on this site and got some inspiration

Hey Gary no disagreement from me. I'm a bit frugal myself.
My question regarding the angling of the buildings/tank was for dvsand. I was curious what the idea behind the angling was as I've seen it in many dios.

I will definitely borrow from your building ideas in my future builds.
jrutman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:47 PM UTC
Being a fan of using cheap,readily available household items before expensive hobby specific items I am of course,on your side all the way. Low tech solutions are always better and for me,more satisfying to build. Nice !!!
J
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Being a fan of using cheap,readily available household items before expensive hobby specific items I am of course,on your side all the way. Low tech solutions are always better and for me,more satisfying to build. Nice !!!
J

I'm with Jerry all the way.
I definitely prefer building my own.Far cheaper and enjoyable to do.I've copied some Miniart buildings with great results and much less aggravation.
An example being my North Africa dio.Foamboard,balsa wood and styrofoam.

Tom
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 11:09 PM UTC
Nothing wrong with your buildings at all! They look great and you have this group for inspiration and feedback!

For a new guy, really impressive work! Keep it coming!
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 02:46 AM UTC
amateur style? it looks pretty good to me.
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:01 AM UTC
Made a little progress

I have taken your advice and staggered the street section. I have used foam board for this

I have then rolled out air drying clay and put this on top of the foam card. I have then measured this with a ruler and inscribed the pavement shapes.

Had a small problem. When the clay dried it shrunk and the corners of one of the pavements lifted. I filled it in and will have to used something like grass to hide it bit

I have decided to try something new to make asphalt/tarmac. I used this plastikote stone spray. I usually use cork, but this soaks the paint too much. I guess if it does not work I will go back to cork
Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:28 AM UTC
Nice homemade stuff Gary!

Kind regards
Steven
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 04:03 AM UTC
Really nice work, mate. Impressive especially for a first attempt. Keep making and posting them. I try to fabricate more items, myself these days, as opposed to buying expensive aftermarket and/or accessory kits. I think the added benefit, besides saving money is the pride in the work.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC
IF this is Amateur style Im not even gonna TRY and make one ! Looks superb!
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 04:23 AM UTC
What a great start Gary, I really appreciate what you've got so far.
Regards
Dave
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:39 PM UTC
I have finally finished by Diorama. Named "behind enemy lines"

Hope you like

comments welcome
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:24 AM UTC
Maximum dio points for own-build, Gary - and all those tiles, insane. Serious talent, well done and glad you decided not to ignite it on the oven in first of most recent photos. As you asked for comments a few ideas, take or leave:

More small & medium arms damage to facades and roof plus debris & dust on road. Also the story/narrative/authenticity - you’ve got a Panther D in ? early 1945 Germany? I guess that’s just possible but the D first came out mid ’43 at Kursk, largely replaced by A’s during ’44 and then G’s late ’44. And while I get that the yanks are sneaking up behind the Panther, to me it looks like it’s on the move & just passed them so how could the crew not have not noticed them? For a better ambush you might consider the tank’s coming the other way i.e. turn it thru 180 deg., and have someone shouldering a bazooka ready for a passing or rear shot. And/or, considering you invested so much effort into those upper storeys, someone up there about to lob some grenades down?

Whatever, bravo!

Cheers, Tim
jrutman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:50 PM UTC
Once again,I love what you are doing here with the build-your-own method. Tim made some good points.
I would add,because the half timber house is one of my favorite things in the world,that you can improve on them in the future by actually making it a bit easier on yourself.
What I mean is,the timbers on a real one are almost always flush with the wall. This means you can make the whole wall from plaster or hard foam and then scribe the timbers in,or use even thinner strips of wood like you choose to use. Either way,much easier and faster and more authentic.
Great beginnings here buddy,hope to see you often.
As far as the early Panther goes,I have seen pics of very early marks being used in the last ditch defense of the homeland. These were usually old tanks being used in training facilities,pressed into service. So.....it works !
J
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:39 PM UTC

thanks for the comments,

Tim

With regards to the tank, I am never too arcuate with the time lines on models. It is just a case of I make an AFV and then everything fits around it.

Jerry

I have seen that balsa foam and when it becomes cheap enough, I will deffo be giving it a go.

now I have just got to decide what am I going to use this building for

_GOTOTOP