_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya Jumbo Upper hull
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
Does anyone have an extra one that they aren't going to use? I need one..Also with the Tamiya kit does it come with the uparmored sides on the hull?

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:55 PM UTC
Scott, the upper hull of the Tamiya Jumbo is the same as their original M4A3 kit. There is an armored front plate, right & left side plates and a new armored transmission cover. The turret is also different, but that's it.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC
I guess I need just the up armored parts

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott, the upper hull of the Tamiya Jumbo is the same as their original M4A3 kit. There is an armored front plate, right & left side plates and a new armored transmission cover. The turret is also different, but that's it.

Aren't the dimensions off on that turret Rob? I believe the turret roof dimensions are off for one aren't they?

Tread.

(my attempt at becoming more Sherman 'friendly )
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Get the whole upgrade set from The Tank Workshop. I just picked up the thing at a swap meet for $38 and it will mate to either the Tamiya M4A3 kit or their Jumbo kit. If you don't use a Jumbo, you'll have to raid the spares box for such things as the oval loader's hatch.

You get a correct resin upper hull, a resin turret and mantlet, a resin transmission housing, a metal 75mm gun barrel, resin pressed steel roadwheels, and other assorted bits and pieces. The quality is really superb, and I can hardly wait to start mine. I have to order up a donor Sherman to get started, though. Yes, this makes for an expensive project but it avoids the shape problems inherent to the Tamiya kit. Oh, the turret is completely hollow so it would be possible to model an interior in there. I just might....
Greg
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
I have a AEF Designs turret that I acquired a decade or so ago. It came with a resin 76mm main gun so you get the option of using the Tamiya 75mm gun or the AEF 76mm gun. Model Expo carries the Jumbo for $20.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
#:-) Hi guys..here is a great website http://pages.infinit.net/jmarcpe/ This a parts scrapyard and they have a network of people who have or find this stuff. I had an Italeri weapons carrier that needed two little parts and they had them. The guy who runs the site Jean Marc is a Class Act! You only pay for shipping! If you have spare parts that you know you'll never use you can send them to the scrapyard and they will make sure the parts are put to good use. This really saves money on aftermarket parts,etc. Give these guys a try!
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:15 AM UTC
I was mistaken about the name of the guy I dealt with...It was Frederic. This guy is super AND he builds EXCELLENT stuff. You can find his work all over the internet. The parts yard is mostly devoted to aircraft BUT you really can find almost anything. Sorry for the mixup.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC
Bodeen,

I have the Jumbo and am not going to use the Tamiya upper hull. I have the Tank Workshop mod set. PM me your address and it's yours!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

#:-) Hi guys..here is a great website http://pages.infinit.net/jmarcpe/ This a parts scrapyard and they have a network of people who have or find this stuff. I had an Italeri weapons carrier that needed two little parts and they had them. The guy who runs the site Jean Marc is a Class Act! You only pay for shipping! If you have spare parts that you know you'll never use you can send them to the scrapyard and they will make sure the parts are put to good use. This really saves money on aftermarket parts,etc. Give these guys a try!

Great site! Nice buys.
thanks
DJ
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
M60a3, I really appreciate the offer but it was SEDimmick who needs the part. But this is what I'm talking about when I say how impressed I am with the people I've met on this forum. We are all ARMORANIACS who for the most part don't have anyone around who gives a crap for our hobby. We have to rely on each other. Thanks Bud!
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Great site! Nice buys.
thanks
DJ

I've used J-M's site as well as donated a part someone was looking for (noticed it when I was looking for my part). All he asks is that you send him postage, which cost me $2. He then puts you on the "good guy" list. If you stiff him for postage, he puts you on the "bad guy" list. I have no problem sending out kits/parts/decals/instruction to those in need. I figure what comes around goes around.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

M60a3, I really appreciate the offer but it was SEDimmick who needs the part. But this is what I'm talking about when I say how impressed I am with the people I've met on this forum. We are all ARMORANIACS who for the most part don't have anyone around who gives a crap for our hobby. We have to rely on each other. Thanks Bud!

No problem!

SEDimmick, it will be in the mail Thursday!
 _GOTOTOP