_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
WWII Italian & Russian Uniforms
1SGJFC
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2017 - 11:02 PM UTC
Howdy! I am a brand new user of this site, and fairly new to modeling. I am "exploring" WWII Italians. I am also curious about Russian/Soviet/Red Army portion of the invasion of Poland during Fall 1939. Two questions: I see from model box art, etc., that Italian tankers seem to be dressed in a blue color for some uniform items. Does anyone know if there is a color name for this hue? And, were the uniforms of the Russians significantly different in 1939 versus later in the war (post-1941)? I would appreciate anyone suggesting reference materials (I do not mind buying books or back copies of magazines) to assist me. Thank you all! 1SGJFC
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 01:49 AM UTC
pls., try to find the book The Soviet solier of World War Two.
Published by Histoire&Collections.
Very helpfull and shows all details in colour from all ranks and branches.
A wide variety of items and weapons as well
ISBN 978 2 35250 100 8
Written by Philippe Rio
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 02:58 AM UTC
For the Italian Life color make a set with all the colors you need.

http://www.astromodel.it/lifecolor/set/italian-wwii-regio-esercito-uniforms-colours.html?___store=en&___from_store=it

you can buy also the colors separately,the blue is UA 415 "Tuta Carrista"

The italian color does not have a real technical name, because it is a not made on purpose, it's just full suit from mechanic to protect the real Uniform from oil and grease, in Italian is called "Tuta Blu da meccanico" or "blue mechanic's overalls" you can call "Tuta da carrista" "Tanker Suit", it was a complete suit with buttons on the front, because the Italian tankers under the blue overalls wore the uniform gray-green "grigio-verde" equal all other soldiers, in addition had a black leather jacket and a black leather helmet.

"Tuta Carrista"
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Osprey publishes some nice concise books on those topics. They are easy to find around here, too.

Italians 1941-43

Russians

there are at least 3 books on the soviets.

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:03 AM UTC
Viscous,

Great photo and info. Thanks.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 03:06 AM UTC
Jim,

Welcome to the site!

Friendly helpful people here.

For figure painting/equipment questions like yours, I suggest 2 other sites here at KitMaker:

Armorama Figures:
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewforum&forum_id=9&page=1

Historic Foruma
http://hfmodeling.kitmaker.net
1SGJFC
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 - 04:24 AM UTC
Gentlemen, thank you, but also my apology for not replying sooner. I ordered the recommended uniform book and paint set Neither has arrived! I have long collected Osprey books in advance of starting modeling. I will peruse them soon. I will get back to you as I learn more, and set about creating something! Today is my birthday. I took a 1/2 day off and spent part of it working on an American Jeep and a Russian FAI-M Armored Car. Question: Are the Italian uniform items in the post your personal property? Great stuff! 1SGJFC
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 02:15 AM UTC
Happy birthday!

I wish was my the Uniform! ... My Italian side of the family is traditionally part of the Alpini, the Italian mountain troops from the IWW to this day, we still have hat, medals and knife of Luigi Great-grandfather who fought the Austrians on the Carso and Piave.
1SGJFC
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:24 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

Sorry for the long delay... The recommendations you made regarding paint and the book were spot on. And, because of bad weather here a bit ago all my packages were delayed. Both the paint and the book finally arrived. I have yet to get to the "Italian" paint job, but finished the book on the Russian Army, which was very detailed and also fascinating! Of course, with great photos!

Thank you!
1SGJFC
 _GOTOTOP