_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 M26 Pershing Build - Part 2
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hello All,

Time to post Part 2 of the 1/16 M26 Pershing Build.

Important build Notes:

* Use Thread lock on ALL metal-to-metal connections, where appropriate. The manual doesn't always state this. Also I wouldn't use the kit supplied Thread lock, go out and get yourself some heavy duty LockTite (The red tube), available in any Hardware store. Just remember to shake the damn thing before using it, otherwise the bond is cr@p.

* In Step 13, make sure the side reinforcing plates are placed on the correct side, just like everything in this build, you must watch out that all the parts are placed on the correct side of the hull.

p.s If you don't see any pictures at the links, come back at a latter time, there might be bandwidth problems with the photo server.

It's always a good idea to mark all of your parts after you take them out the bags. Small muffin tins are great for that.

A few more parts.... trust me, there are easily over a thousand+ parts in this kit. Now if you add metal tracks to the equation (which I plan to... coming up in next weeks update), you can easily double the number of parts in this project.

The completed hull with all the road wheels installed.

A shot of the inside showing all the suspension attachments.

It's nice when everything goes together this smoothly, that's a credit to the quality that Tamiya produces.

Check to make sure everything is moving smoothly, if it isn't, now is the time to fix it.

A shot of the fake shock absorbers, they are merely there for show, the suspension arms on the inside with the primed springs do all the work. Kinda like the old Tamiya 1/16 Gepard (Yes I have one of these beauty's from yesteryear).

Whatever you do, DO NOT over tighten the small bolts securing the fake shock absorbers to the hull.

Now, if by chance you did (like me), expect to pay three times the price if you reorder the parts from Tamiya North America (I'd like to know where they get off charging this ridiculous price). The screws are metric 2mm by 15mm (part MA1 from Screw Bag A, #9465596), if you can find them elsewhere, do so (Microfasteners come to mind: http://www.microfasteners.com/).

Just a side note: If by chance you must order parts from Tamiya, do yourself a favor and order then direct from Japan, from an online outfit called RainBowTen http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/ (They have an english site), they will charge you an extra 20% above the price that Tamiya Japan charges, compare that to an over 300% markup over the Japanese prices Tamiya USA/Canada charges, you be the judge.

If you missed Part 1 from last week, here's the link: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/25537&page=1

Hope you enjoyed it. See ya next week.

Does anyone have any reference pictures of the insides of the storage lockers found on the fenders?

T-Link :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
Fantastic build so far! Will wait for the final pics
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:03 AM UTC
I know you got to be having the time of your life, cause about 15 years ago I bought one of Tamiya's 1/10 R/C Clod Buster, and the fit was perfect, the directions were simple, and your rite about the thousands of parts, and they were all there, not one piece missing. That was I believe, the most fun I had in my life was putting it together, cause after I got it together, I found out it was more fun to put together, then it was to play with. That tank looks as though it would even be a lot more fun working on then the pickup, but I'm suprised that them shocks are fake, cause they have real ones, the ones that came with my pickup done the work, plus they sell a lot better ones on after market, now I'm not real sure but I believe they were around $80.00 for a set of four of them back then, and they were metal, and had fluid in them, to make them work. Tamiya is second to none on their bigger R/C products.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Looking great, can imagine how heavy it will be when done
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
Lookin good T-Link! Keep the pics coming. Makes me wanna drag mine out and start building. Gotta finish re-painting the King Tiger first. Hmm...which next...the Sherman or the Tiger??
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch guys..

straightedge

I am having the time of my life, this is a very fun build, I also built one of Tamiya large scale R/C units 15-18 years ago, it was the 1/16 Gepard, that was an absolute blast to build, especially since it came with metal tracks that had to be put together link by link, each link had 7 parts..... lots of fun.

jejack2

Come on jejack2, join the build you know yooooooooooou wannnnna......

T-Link
 _GOTOTOP