_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New M1A1 USMC Meng inbox
Darkin
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 04:44 PM UTC
Hello this is link to inbox new M1A1 USMC from Meng Model
http://www.moxing.net/2017/0316/7767.html
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 05:03 PM UTC
Looks pretty good. At least they fixed the boxart and now show a USMC M1A1 AIM as opposed to the very confused Abrams that was previously shown. It does incorrectly show the belly armor, which is part of the TUSK set and only installed with the rest of the TUSK parts.

Not a whole lot more info at this "in box" review. It just talks about the versions that can be built; US Army M1A1 AIM, US Army M1A1 w/TUSK I, and USMC M1A1 with wading gear.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It does incorrectly show the belly armor, which is part of the TUSK set and only installed with the rest of the TUSK parts.

In case of USMC tanks used in A'stan "the rest of the TUSK parts" means just the loader's shield.
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a whole lot more info at this "in box" review. It just talks about the versions that can be built; US Army M1A1 AIM, US Army M1A1 w/TUSK I, and USMC M1A1 with wading gear.

If you scroll down the page, right below the last picture there is a range of pages you can click on that will show the instructions and sprue details
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:46 PM UTC
It appears at least one marking for a Marine tank is from 8th Tanks in OIF1. They did not have the MCD on the manhole cover. These guys fought at Nasiriyah and some got stuck in the sesspool on the side of town. Maybe even the one in the markings but I can't tell which specific tank it is.

EDIT
Oh, I see now - it is YOUNG GUNS. I will have to see if it is one that got stuck. But it did not have an MCD.

Many 8th Tanks also had a white Panther and a stylized triangle or 'A' on the smoke grenade box, and a Palm stencil on the right front fender, and a white panther on the left front fender. It may have depended on the platoon or company. Many tanks from 8th also had personalized markings on the side hull like a guitar and other stuff.

Bob
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 10:55 PM UTC

I can finally start using up all of those Echelon sheets!!!

I can never figure out why Dragon didn't release this version or at least do a Cyberhobby update sleeve like they used to do for the Panther, Marders and Stugs. They could have put the USMC parts, decals and maybe a new mine plow and sold thousands.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
Been waiting for this one,looking to build it as an AIM
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:08 AM UTC
So what am I missing here?
Where are those curved side plates that look like tiles I see on the Sep's

Cheers

Jeff
suikmoto
Visit this Community
Tartu, Estonia
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers

Jeff

These curved sideplates are part of tusk 2 kit, tusk 1 only has the regular ones.
spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 01:52 PM UTC
the MCD is accurately detailed?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Jeff

These curved sideplates are part of tusk 2 kit, tusk 1 only has the regular ones.

Thanks got you now.

Have 5 kits of this tank from way back with trumpeter of the M1A1, plus one built.

Any good places to see all the kits of the M1 series that have been put out?

Sorry for the Rob of the thread.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=3143
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=3143

Nice but missing all the trumpeter ones, as I have 2 from them and the Italeri one also.
I guess maybe a separate thread on the ask.

Jeff
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 04:56 PM UTC
The Trumpeter Abrams kits have some issues. The biggest one being the left front of the turret is too short from top to bottom and the angle is off on the lower edge. The roadwheels suck as well w/rubber center caps that leave large gaps around them. Details are soft on them too. The Italeri kit is a reboxed Trumpeter one.

For more info, go to Vodnik's website (vodnik.net) and under Features you will see an M1 Abrams Comparison Article that has the Trumpeter kits as part of it. I would put a link, but the firewall at work blocks his site.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Italeri kit is a reboxed Trumpeter one.

More a "rework" than a "rebox", as Italeri corrected the turret shape (among many other changes).
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks pretty good. At least they fixed the boxart and now show a USMC M1A1 AIM as opposed to the very confused Abrams that was previously shown. It does incorrectly show the belly armor, which is part of the TUSK set and only installed with the rest of the TUSK parts.

The USMC M1A1s in Iraq do have the belly armor, just to clarify this and what Pawel said.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:39 PM UTC
Jason, now I am more confused. My point is that they should not only have the belly armor, but the loader's gunshields should also be on the tank.

Do you mean only the belly armor was used on them and no other parts of the TUSK sets? I don't believe that was the case, especially with the MCD installed as on the boxtop, indicating a tank used early in Iraq before TUSK was even installed.

I would love to see a pic of it and be proven wrong though.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason, now I am more confused. My point is that they should not only have the belly armor, but the loader's gunshields should also be on the tank.

Do you mean only the belly armor was used on them and no other parts of the TUSK sets? I don't believe that was the case, especially with the MCD installed as on the boxtop, indicating a tank used early in Iraq before TUSK was even installed.

I would love to see a pic of it and be proven wrong though.

Sorry, I thought you meant the belly armor was incorrect for a USMC M1A1 AIM in Afghanistan. Yes, the boxtop is still a mixture- should lose the MCD, ad the loader shields and Duke as well as the optics on the .50. (Thermal) to be an Afghanistan version.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...for a USMC M1A1 AIM in Afghanistan... lose the MCD, add the loader shields and Duke as well as the optics on the .50 (Thermal)

Right, like these.

DriftwoodDan
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi all! Is it possible to back date this one to a Marine first gulf war? Meaning like leaving a lot of the newer stuff off and maybe some minor changes.
I would like to do one from the Boise Marine reserve unit that was over there.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:31 PM UTC
A better option for a USMC M1A1 in ODS would be the below Rye Field kit. The new Meng kit has too many newer features (Marine 8-shot smoke launchers are a post ODS feature, newer track, newer GPS doghouse, etc., etc. etc...). The original USMC M1A1s looked the same as US Army M1A1s.

The boxart is for a USMC M1A1 out of 2nd Marine Tank Bn.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A better option for a USMC M1A1 in ODS would be the below Rye Field kit. The new Meng kit has too many newer features (Marine 8-shot smoke launchers are a post ODS feature, newer track, newer GPS doghouse, etc., etc. etc...). The original USMC M1A1s looked the same as US Army M1A1s.

Damn, Gino, I just ordered my Meng kit from Hobbyeasy (it shipped yesterday).
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...for a USMC M1A1 AIM in Afghanistan... lose the MCD, add the loader shields and Duke as well as the optics on the .50 (Thermal)

Is the belly armor needed for a USMC M1A1 AIM in Afghanistan? Also concerning the loader shields do you mean parts R11,R12,S6,S7 shown in step 29?These meant to be added for the TUSK version. I believe the only shields needed are those for the MG shown in step 30.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:13 AM UTC
I don't have the instructions, so I am not sure of the parts, but there is a low-wall just off the turret top around the loader hatch. Yes, the Afghanistan one would have the belly armor. Does the Meng kit come with the umbrella holder on the turret? It should have that too

EDIT- just looked on Hobby Search and yes, those are the correct parts to use. Also the shields in step 30. I do not see the umbrella holder, though.
DriftwoodDan
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:13 AM UTC
Thanks Gino! I was looking specifically for the Marine eight shot smoke launchers
. When I saw the tanks in Boise, years ago, they still had their ODS markings but had updated to the Marine style launchers.
 _GOTOTOP