_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Bundeswher checkpoint near Kabul-Afghanistan
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi friends!

I wanted to share with you my current project. It' a checkpoint scene of Bundeswehr troop near Kabul. So far, I've got the vehicles done and an idea for a general layout. Currently workin on the figures. Please feel free to comment and/or advise! So, here we go.

Firstly, the general layout. Still in doubt wether to use the Marder 1 A5(hasn't arrived yet) or the Fuchs. Guess I'll have to wait till I build the Marder to do that decision.

The Shelter: it's part of Italeri's roadblock kit (https://www.model-making.eu/products/ROAD-BLOCK-AND-U.S.-SOLDIERS.html)
Barriers and soldiers (they will be "germanized") will also be from this kit.

The Fuchs: it's a Revell kit, built right out of the box. Would have liked to have the more modern version, but couldn't get it in my country. This is one of the things that makes me doubt wether to use it or not

Tonight I'll post images of the other vehicles.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:04 AM UTC
Very well done ! Good lookin vehicle.
J
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC
This is one I'll definitely keep watching. The shelter looks fine and I like your idea for the layout. That Fuchs really looks good and it might be the lighting (or me), but the stowage on top & the left rear don't seem to be quite as dusty as the rest of the vehicle.
Greenmachine
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
Just purchased the Meng model modern German tank crew set. Two of the figures are geared up for Afghanistan.
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 07:22 AM UTC
Another one of the vehicles. In this case the civilian car, a Bluebird 1961.

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:27 AM UTC
Do not use this Fuchs. It`s the Spürpanzer Fuchs (NBCRV) that has never been deployed to Afghanistan. I would rather go with Revells Dingo 2 for a roadblock.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:32 AM UTC
Roadblocks in Afghanistan were only temporary, so the use of heavy barriers would be doubtful.
Here you can find a typical layout:
http://hx3.de/community-161/aufbau-checkpoints-camps-19836/
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do not use this Fuchs. It`s the Spürpanzer Fuchs (NBCRV) that has never been deployed to Afghanistan. I would rather go with Revells Dingo 2 for a roadblock.

Thats kind of a really good point! Will go with the Marder then (will use the fuchs as a place holder till it arrives and I have it built. I've got a Dingo, but it's meant to go in another diorama I have in mind!

frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Roadblocks in Afghanistan were only temporary, so the use of heavy barriers would be doubtful.
Here you can find a typical layout:
http://hx3.de/community-161/aufbau-checkpoints-camps-19836/

As far as I've read, there were more permanent ISAF checkpoints on roads leading to Kabul. I've read the link you suggested and it seems these are CP on secondary roads. Think I'll stick to the original idea... Thanks for your comment!
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 05:37 AM UTC
Well, here goes another one of the vehicles. I n this case, teh Wiesel.

frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:26 AM UTC
So, it's time for an update. I ditched the Fuchs and finally my mMarder 1 A5 arrived. Built it and here's the resuts..

I also finished the figures. Most of them are "germanized" American soldiers from various kits. Heads and weapons have been replaced. Also, I did the custom afghan man.

And this is how things start to take shape...

Bodeen
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 07:59 AM UTC
Very nice. I really like your painting and weathering. The figures look good. The checkpoint building with the air conditioners is a nice touch. Sehr Gut.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 05:51 PM UTC
The camo on the figures look great. Their eyes are a bit googly though. Eyes are usually the hardest part to paint on a face. I use a cross design to paint them. First paint the white area with a small white, horizontal line on each eye. Next, paint a small vertical line in the color you want the eye to be. You will now have a cross pattern on each eye. With a very small brush, now use some flesh color and make the shape of the eyes as long slits, not circles. If you look at people outside, you will see they appear to be squinting as their eyes appear as slits, not big circles. Thi is a pretty effective method.

Some examples:

Good luck and keep up the good work.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:37 PM UTC
One remark abozt the berets. I think you should repaint the berets in medium green or dark green color. Panzergrenadiers that go with the Marder have the green color with an oak leaf crest. Bright red or Korallenrot is the color of many support units like Artillery, Feldjäger, Engineeers and Supply. Otherwise good job on converting the figures.
One more remark. Remove the Rotaing Amber Warning Light from the Marder. The RAWL is only used in Germany for traffic safety.
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One remark abozt the berets. I think you should repaint the berets in medium green or dark green color. Panzergrenadiers that go with the Marder have the green color with an oak leaf crest. Bright red or Korallenrot is the color of many support units like Artillery, Feldjäger, Engineeers and Supply. Otherwise good job on converting the figures.
One more remark. Remove the Rotaing Amber Warning Light from the Marder. The RAWL is only used in Germany for traffic safety.

Hi!!! I was actually trying to depict Feldjäger (who I guess would be the ones conducting a checkpoint). That's why the driver of the Marder isn't wearing a red beret. Additionally, the beret for the guy drinking the coffee is a maroon colour (looks different in person), as he is to go with the Wiesel. I'm not saying this is correct, I really couldn't find references as whether german units operate in conjunction or not. If your advice is to make all of them panzer grenadiers, I would have no problem in repainting the berets. Cheers, and many thanks for your comments!!!
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The camo on the figures look great. Their eyes are a bit googly though. Eyes are usually the hardest part to paint on a face. I use a cross design to paint them. First paint the white area with a small white, horizontal line on each eye. Next, paint a small vertical line in the color you want the eye to be. You will now have a cross pattern on each eye. With a very small brush, now use some flesh color and make the shape of the eyes as long slits, not circles. If you look at people outside, you will see they appear to be squinting as their eyes appear as slits, not big circles. Thi is a pretty effective method.

Some examples:

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Eyes have never been my strong!!!! In fact, I used to leave them unpainted... Guess I'll have to practice a lot more till I get them right! Thanks for your comment!
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 09:23 PM UTC
I used to use that eye technique, but found a better one. With acrylics paint the face (with shadows and lights) then paint what will be the open eye in black. two slits if squinting, a little more oval if eyes wide open. Once satisfied cover with mat varnish (I use tamiya spray) now comes the fun part, with oil paint now paint two small white dots on either side of eye, then with small brush moist with turpentine (not wet, just barely moist), clean the excess white and clean the iris/pupil to the size you want. if you over do it clean the whole thing and start again, remember with the mat varnish your whole face is safe. that simple. with this technique it is easier to play with different eye expressions
 _GOTOTOP