_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
About The German Firemen...
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:22 AM UTC
They are shown in firefighting poses with equipment. Trouble is, not only are their uniforms that old 1938 version, but in fact are dress rather than utility uniforms...and I find it difficult to believe that German firefighters would wear dress rather than more utilitarian uniforms when fighting actual fires, especially in a setting from the 1940's. Did the kitmaker goof?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC
The average German uniform differed from the dress uniform mainly in quality. The cut was not much different. Notice that panzer men still wore a tie in the field. Dressier than todays camouflage fatigues for sure.

It wasn't like todays modern issue of four sets of utility uniforms and four different classes of dress uniform.

Whether or not German firemen were issued working coveralls, I don't know.

Gaz
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 07:16 AM UTC
I have seen pictures of German firemen in what are definitely undecorated working uniforms. I read that Napoleonic soldiers often wore surtouts and other plain outfits when in the field while they left dresser clothes at base.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:04 PM UTC
Can I assume ICM figures are being discussed??
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I assume ICM figures are being discussed??

The only German firemen from WW2 in kit form so far.

My reference books are Osprey's "German Home Front" and "German Police". Pictures of people in uniforms but no "action" pictures of their fighting fires.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 02:01 PM UTC
Andrew Mollo's "German Uniforms of WW2" has a late war picture of female firefighters undergoing training. They are wearing coveralls and the "Luftschutz" style helmet. The trainer, obviously a "regular" is wearing his full blue and black uniform. This would seem to imply that those who had the fire brigade uniform wore it, but the various auxilary personnel wore either coveralls, or in the case of those belonging to a uniformed organisation (e.g. the HJ)wore their own.
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:47 AM UTC
An interesting query! I've done an illustration of a HJ volunteer handling a hose and nozzle but I recall that it was difficult to find any solid info on the formal firefighting units. A quick look through my refs did show both the official blue/black uniform being worn along side a protective(?) overall. I found a German website that shows more info:

http://www.saar-nostalgie.de/Feuerwehr.htm

HTH'
Ron Volstad
 _GOTOTOP