_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Sherman turret question
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
Okay so I'm working on the turret of my M1 Sherman ( I'm trying to build the cross boned one with 2A marking on the turret – it also has a 3A marking painted over from the 7th brigade). I'm currently stuck on the turret. The M1 book by Dr.Manasherob has a few good pictures of the tank itself but I'm having some trouble seeing all the detail. Attached are pictures of the tamiya instructions and from the book (If there's any problem with me using these pictures please let me know via PM). Anyways, I'm looking for some detailed photos of the spotlight and the other device circled in the instructions (marked as J29). The other circled device is also bugging me as I can't figure out what it is, so a clear picture of that or an explanation what it is would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, Sven.

Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 02:47 AM UTC
J29 is a aiming device iirc and the other is for the smoke grenade.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 03:03 AM UTC
Yep - J29 is a blade sight, kinda like the "iron sights" on a rifle. The TC could sqiunt through a hole in the rear upright and line it up with a hole in the front part to get the gun roughly on a target, all while looking through his vision block in the cupola whilst buttoned up. He could swing the turret round to the target, then hand over fine aiming to the gunner.

The smoke/grenade launcher ("bomb thrower" in UK parlance) was a tube sticking through the turret roof, with a cap over it when not in use - that's what we see in the last pic. I don't see a blade sight on that tank, but then not all tanks had them...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 03:26 AM UTC
Here's a detail shot of the aiming device
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 04:40 AM UTC
Some photos of the spotlight:

The opening you see is the M3 2 inch smoke mortar

SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 12:38 PM UTC
Thank you all for the wonderful replies. I have enough references for the spotlight and the aiming device now, but Tom confirmed my suspicion that this tank didn't have the aiming device so I'll have to fill in the pre fabricated hole on the turret. However a couple more pictures of the smoke/grenade launcher from the outside would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone again and kind regards, Sven!
 _GOTOTOP