_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Tamiya: Tamiya Armor at the 56th Shizuoka Show
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 01:28 PM UTC

This year, at the 56th Shizuoka Hobby Show, Tamiya has unveiled four armor kits in various scales. Here we look at initial kit information and photos sourced from the TamiyaBlog site.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 01:33 PM UTC
The superstructure of the Sturmpanzer IV is all new. The tracks are from their recent Jagdpanzer IV/L70. The anti-bazooka skirt plates are all separate and mount like the real thing. No more cutting up into separate plates for those who want theirs to look different.
AOS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:26 PM UTC
Not to forget their new "Wehrmacht Tank Crew set" #35354.
AOS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 03:36 PM UTC
I am happy about the Brummbaer, because the late Version was only available from DML (old tooling). And - it does not need Zimmerit.
jimc101
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 04:22 PM UTC
Re the Brummbar, Tamiya has been going through there very old IV based kits over the last few years and new tooling them.

The Jagdpanzer IV was effective their 3rd gen chassis of the IV, thinking there should be a StuG IV out from them within the next 2 years going on this pattern.

Tamiya have their 2nd gen chassis for the IV H/J, Wirbelwind & Mobelwagen, maybe after then have finished with the StuG, they will look at other older kits to new-tool (M3 Lee/Grant/M3 Light) or be radical, and do something like different version of what the already have, say a L48 version of the Jagdpanzer IV
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 04:26 PM UTC
All these new kits from Tamiya make me very happy as I would like the two 1/16 tanks and the new 1/35. At the same time it will make me broke ..........................broke but happy
freddietello
Visit this Community
Alicante, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:05 PM UTC
The Brummbar still has vynil tracks and oversized details. I wonder what the price will be.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 - 11:39 PM UTC
Here is some video,from HLJ,of the Hobby Show in Japan: https://youtu.be/n_BRR_nqKD0, Tamiya has some pretty cool stuff coming out. I like the Brummbaer and the Panzer crew set. Too bad Tamiya can't mold the kit with Zimmerit...they have an adhesive zimmerit set that can be purchased separately. Some nice releases from Tamiya.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
what's wrong with the $39 Tristar kit? Yes it needs new road wheels, and neither one has zimmerit (forget the Tamiya zimmerit as it's not so hot). For about $30 difference you can build a very nice Brumbar, and build an early, or mid production version.
gary
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 05:02 AM UTC
Nothing is wrong with the Tristar (re-issued by Hobby Boss) The Tamiya is the late version with three return rollers and steel road wheels like the 1990s era Dragon kit. Which of course I just bought and now Tamiya does this...

Different versions not right or wrong.

warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 06:53 AM UTC
"You couldn't pay me to buy that kit". Oh sorry, that was my brain screaming at me about the 1/16 scale TAMIYA M1A2 kit. Did you guys notice that even in the pre-production pictures there are at least three big issues ?
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC
Sorry, I hit enter instead of space. lol But it looks like Tamiya up scaled their machine guns and rear engine doors / grates from their 1/35 scale kit. two piece guns and no separated grills or louvers. Nobody does that in 1/35 anymore let alone in 1/16. All that nice work on tracks and suspension with crap parts up-sized from their other kits. So what, I spend $300 for their kit and another $200 in aftermarket parts ? I don't think so !!!
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing is wrong with the Tristar (re-issued by Hobby Boss) The Tamiya is the late version with three return rollers and steel road wheels like the 1990s era Dragon kit. Which of course I just bought and now Tamiya does this...

I think Tristar did the early and mid versions, so with Tamiya doing the late you got them all. I'm sure the Tamiya kit will be OK, except for the price tag. Least they did a link & length track instead of the el-cheapo rubber band tracks. What one should hope for is a new line of early Panzer IV's off that platform. Still it's hard to beat the Dragon Panzer IV's.
gary
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think Tristar did the early and mid versions, so with Tamiya doing the late you got them all. I'm sure the Tamiya kit will be OK, except for the price tag. Least they did a link & length track instead of the el-cheapo rubber band tracks. What one should hope for is a new line of early Panzer IV's off that platform. Still it's hard to beat the Dragon Panzer IV's.
gary

Yes, it is hard to beat a Dragon Panzer IV, but is very easy to be beaten by one as many discovered trying to assemble the PzkpfwIV for Girls and Panzer. So many were defeated, Dragon was forced to tool an all new simplified pzkfw IV kit for more casual modelers looking for a weekend project as opposed to a lifetime obsession.

Tamiya caters more to them. They are the home market where Tamiya is a staple of Japanese culture and no one blinks or looks askance at a maid cafe or a girl in a school uniform driving a tank like we barbarians do.
 _GOTOTOP