_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
My 2nd Build - Tamiya Tiger 1 Early Productio
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi all
This is my 2nd build as i just started this hobby.
As you can see, the color of this Tiger is not really accurate.
I'm using Vallejo German Grey and its turn out to be a lil bit green-ish.
But i've decide to give it a go and assume it will goes well after some heavy weathering.

Now im working on the tracks. Will update it thru this post later.
Hey, yeahh..really need need some advise from you guys here.
Anything...

Thank you http://imageshack.com/a/img923/8171/M2SSwX.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1223/H3c40B.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8439/kX9fcS.jpg
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC

SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 09:47 PM UTC
Your SECOND build, as you've just STARTED this hobby? What was your previous hobby -- watch-making? I wish my 30th build was that clean. Looks great, Max!
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Gary

Thanks for that sweet compliment
Yeah, just started this hobby and yeah i did a few research here and there before i lay may hand on this kit.

Thanks again and cheers

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:23 AM UTC
Coming along very nicely. Based on what I have seen you will be on a short learning curve. Did you hand paint or use an airbrush? The tools, wood, and Bakelite on the cutters looks very good. Anxious to see more.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:53 AM UTC
Very very nice job. Wish my first Tiger 1 was this nice. And I really really like that base coat color.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
Looks great.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Dang great job.
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along very nicely. Based on what I have seen you will be on a short learning curve. Did you hand paint or use an airbrush? The tools, wood, and Bakelite on the cutters looks very good. Anxious to see more.

Hi Dvsand
Most of the details on top I've hand painted. The turret, upper hull and lower hull im using airbrush. Still in trial and error. I'm using a cheap magnifying glass too
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very very nice job. Wish my first Tiger 1 was this nice. And I really really like that base coat color.

Hi Dustin
Thank you
The base color im using is Vallejo German Grey, not really what i wanted it to be. Because it turn out a lil bit green-ish
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Dang great job.

Hi Jeff
I have done some heavy weathering on it
Will post it here soon
Thank you again Jeff
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi,
Very clean work so far, looks good although as you have noticed, the colour is not what it should be...

I guess you may have used the German grey for uniforms, which has a green tint indeed. You should look for "German Dark Grey"
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Very clean work so far, looks good although as you have noticed, the colour is not what it should be...

I guess you may have used the German grey for uniforms, which has a green tint indeed. You should look for "German Dark Grey"

Hi Carlos
Thanks for you feedback. Yes, its what i think
The German Grey most probably for their uniform
Should go for German Dark Grey after this. Thank you for your advise. Appreciate it
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:25 PM UTC
I have done some heavy weathering.
Now i'm working on the wheel. Tried the European Dust on the wheel by Vallejo. But its too yellow-ish for me.
I'm looking for some dark color to represent dried mud + dust.
So, i'm using dark brown wash instead. What do you guys think.

and yes, done heavy weathering on turret, lower and upper hull too.
will upload the picture soon

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:22 PM UTC
Mud will generally lighten as it dries; it's the moisture in it that makes it dark for the most part. Obviously it depends on your starting soil, but generally the wetter, the darker.

As you saw, European dust is on the lighter side. However, there are some nice, dark muddy bogs in Russia which might be what you're looking for.
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mud will generally lighten as it dries; it's the moisture in it that makes it dark for the most part. Obviously it depends on your starting soil, but generally the wetter, the darker.

As you saw, European dust is on the lighter side. However, there are some nice, dark muddy bogs in Russia which might be what you're looking for.

Hi Sir
Thank you for your advise.
What do you think about my current weathering on the wheel?
Is it okay? I'm afraid i will over do it later>
Should i stick to this or need to add another layer of mud?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:45 PM UTC
Can't remember , as to what year the Tiger I first came out.
I seem to remember something about Leningrad battle, and swamps , where they did no good.But back to the model, German Gray at early war shows to be a tad Blue in it's paint.Yours is nice, and on that subject I built my first one back in 1973- 1974.Was the Cat's Meow.Keep at it.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I seem to remember something about Leningrad battle, and swamps , where they did no good.But back to the model, German Gray at early war shows to be a tad Blue in it's paint.Yours is nice, and on that subject I built my first one back in 1973- 1974.Was the Cat's Meow.Keep at it.

There was no blue in the paint; the blue appearance is a property of gray that causes it to reflect ambient light with a bluish tint at times. You can try this at home. It even works with other colors as I had a green van that looked dark blue in late afternoon lighting.

IRT Max:

I can't exactly tell from the pics how much mud you have there, or whether you've gone up under the fenders with it, but I myself tend not to over-weather vehicles, so I probably would not do more than add a little drier mud and some dust. If you want it to seem as if it entered mud recently, then add some more and try to vary the shades to vary the look - not all one color mud.
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alright Jeff, I keep that in mind. Good advise for me.
Yerp, for me too that is what i imagine it to be, which is grey + blue-ish in color and i do have Blue Filter for grey panzer. But i dont think i can use it because mine was green-ish grey and i'm afraid it will mess up the base color.

maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There was no blue in the paint; the blue appearance is a property of gray that causes it to reflect ambient light with a bluish tint at times. You can try this at home. It even works with other colors as I had a green van that looked dark blue in late afternoon lighting.

IRT Max:

I can't exactly tell from the pics how much mud you have there, or whether you've gone up under the fenders with it, but I myself tend not to over-weather vehicles, so I probably would not do more than add a little drier mud and some dust. If you want it to seem as if it entered mud recently, then add some more and try to vary the shades to vary the look - not all one color mud.

Yes, i agreed with you on this.
Some minor weathering on wheel will do. If i over do it, i might vanish all the details on the wheel. Good advise. I appreciate it very very much. You all here are very helpful to me. Can't wait to share more of my build progress
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 - 07:41 AM UTC
Anyway, my track is done and will try to upload a picture tonight and yes, i did the flat clear coat too. Can't wait to share it with you guys tonight. For now, heavy weathering is done

- Heavy worn and tear
- Heavy chipping (using sponge)
- some pigment (black smoke)
- Rusty Exhaust + Smoke pigments
- A lil bit of European dust here and the on the upper hull and side skirting

I know, it seems like i over do it. I'd admit. I really want it to cover up the green-ish grey of my Tiger 1. What do you guys think? Did the heavy weathering cover it?

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

IRT Max:

Got you with the no blue.
And MiG's wash for Panzer gray is blue tinted.
Strange that.

Shameless plug here.

Jeff
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

IRT Max:

Strange that.

Shameless plug here.

Jeff

Hi Jeff
Looks great. I like that kind of Grey
Thanks for sharing it with me
May i know the code number and what brand is it?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2017 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange that.

Jeff

Nothing against Mig, as the man is quite talented, but he is also known for taking the more artistic route rather than the hard accuracy because in truth dark gray vehicles aren't fun to look at.

The Kodachrome and Agfa films used during WWII are well-know for deteriorating into the bluer end of the spectrum as they age, but every example of the original gray used is a very dark charcoal gray, almost black. The SdKfz 251 at Bovington had many patches of the original paint on it that showed there was no blue at all in the paint mix.

But, as I say, it does hide all that detail we want unless we lighten it or alter some way.

It's one of those things that are hard to move people away from because its been around so long, like the "green" Tigers in Africa.
maxafizz
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Strange that.

Jeff

Nothing against Mig, as the man is quite talented, but he is also known for taking the more artistic route rather than the hard accuracy because in truth dark gray vehicles aren't fun to look at.

The Kodachrome and Agfa films used during WWII are well-know for deteriorating into the bluer end of the spectrum as they age, but every example of the original gray used is a very dark charcoal gray, almost black. The SdKfz 251 at Bovington had many patches of the original paint on it that showed there was no blue at all in the paint mix.

But, as I say, it does hide all that detail we want unless we lighten it or alter some way.

It's one of those things that are hard to move people away from because its been around so long, like the "green" Tigers in Africa.

Wow, this become interesting
May i know what do you mean by 'Green' Tiger in Africa?
Does it suppose to match Africa surrouding? such as dust,dessert and yellow-ish color perhaps
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:50 AM UTC
There were no green Tigers; I mentioned it because it is a myth many people still believe is true even though there is no actual evidence to back it up - just hearsay.
 _GOTOTOP