Hosted by Darren Baker
HELP...They all look the same.
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:50 AM UTC
I've been modelling now for 7 years since I was 11. I have done several Dioramas. The problem is that every time I make a building they all look the same.
I use Polystyrene coated with a thin layer of Tetrion and despite several different attempts to set them apart from each other thay all look the same.
Like a house in the French suburbs, rough plastered exterior and interior and I would like to make them different in future.....As the modelling shelf looks like a game of snap!

Any help would be Greatfully apreciated. Thank you for your time........
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 236 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:30 PM UTC
I understand what you mean. Everyone has a way of building and you can get stuck in a certain way. So I suggest that you approach a new dio from a very different angle then you do normally. Try to use different colors by mixing them. The basic color of your dio really depends on the primer color, for instance; if you prime with black you get a very dark dio, but if you prime with grey you get a lighter version. So you have to choice the look you are after.
Also, read the methods other people are using and give it a shot. Ask a lot of questions and if your able to, post some pictures of work in progress so this community can give you hints and tips in doing things.

cheers,

Wouter
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi longshanks...or should we Christen you "Strider" ?

When you say they all look the same...is it colour, style, materials (ie stone, brick or timbered), position of doors and windows or the number of storey's???

Cheers
Peter
:-)
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:13 PM UTC
Thanks so far guys.....

Well, just in outward appearance really, I don't have much choice in colour or materials as I use what I have (Polystyrene, Tetrion & mainly stone coloured paint!)......... They all look very plain and similar, I've tried different colours on smaller subjects/ items only to find it didn't suit it or I hated it. Maybe its my technique, I just don't know.
I place windows and doors where they best fit in with the figures for the Dio.
I don't like the idea or using pre-made stuff as it takes out the fun of it and frankly I can't afford it..........

I'll try to get some pictures done to show you what I mean......
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:04 AM UTC
Longshanks,

My recommendation would be to start varying the architectural styles in your dioramas. Stuff to try include arches for a more mediterranean look, and the occasional buttress to your make your building fronts more varied in outline.

My two cents,
Mika
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
Well - if you want different try a totally different construction - go with a frame built house such as this

You can also add details that will set the building appart, things like a balcony, stone or wood trim around the windows, corner stones, you can etch bricks into a wall such as yours
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:28 PM UTC
Some buildings in certain regions look the same, that´s just the way it is.
What you may want to do is study architecture. By that I don´t mean you should go to school but rather go to the library, pick yp a few books about architecture and get inspired.
Who knows, maybe you´ll start building a Gothic Cathedral with a tank in front of it
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
Here's something that might help. Check out my post "Drywall for Modeling" on page 2 of the Scratchbuilder's Forum. This might give you more flexability as the drywall (gypsum board) accepts all kinds of finishes, like pastels, wash, paint, or you could leave it plain as it gives you a cement look complete with natural imperfections. You can also use it to make ledges, balconys, arches, etc., and the broken pieces make good rubble. And it's free! Any questions on this, just fire away.

Art
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC

there are similarities in my buildings, byt a little varition in each... using the same material each time. but sometimes brick, somtimes stucco, sometime rock... add stain glass, windows, ivy, door frames, short, tall, wide, narrow, etc... check out the articles on making building here at armorama - i wrote one on Basic wall construction . Good Luck!

John
www.johnneill.com

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
I noticed you said "stone colors". Try thinking about other materials: bricks, wood, dry wall (for modern dios as I not sure if drywall existed in 1940s), or don't go with a building at all. Grass, rock formations, water, desert, trees. Everything doesn't have to be urban (though I personally like it).
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:46 PM UTC
i think form what is said above most important is to change world locations that your dios take place and thus you will have a total difference in your buildings style. I mean a Greek island rockhouse is by no way similiar to a Vietnam C ottage or to a Dutch 2 floor house. So study other people;s works , pictures and focus mainly on the building and then deal with the rest of the dio ...
Costas
 _GOTOTOP