_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Wall Putty or Spackle
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hi,

Before I start building my dio, I have a few questions in my mind that needs to be answered. I plan to build walls using styrofoam and I need to cover them with something.
I have stacks off styrofoam used in electronic/UNIX server packings....

1) What is the difference between Wall Putty and Spackle?
2) Which material is the best to use?
3) Are there other things I need to consider before using any of the materials above as medium for walls?

Thanks in advance...any help would be very much appreciated.

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:53 PM UTC
Most spackle these days has a vinyl or latex component. Drywall paste does not. I prefer using drywall compound over spacke. I find that it carves and textures better. Spackle is more durable and harder to detail. I like to tint my drywall compound by adding small amounts of acrylic craft paint. that way, if I chip some away, the colour goes through. The compound will dry lighter than the "mixed" shade, so I usually go slightly past the colour I'm looking for. If you want to increase the bonding ability of the compound, rough up the surface of your substrate so there is something it can grab onto.

Hope this helps...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
Spackle is a product for new construction and is designed for initial application where everything is perfect. It usually has latex in it so it doesn't crack.
Putty is a fixing product, used to fill holes after the fact. Easier to manipulate and 'carve'.

Recommendation is to read the ingredients and look for latex or not. Realize that latex will be easier to make a large area smooth. Putty will texture better. Then I'd say if you can afford it, buy a small amount of each.

I usually use spackle, because I do smaller areas.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 05:29 PM UTC
Thanks for both inputs.

I plan to scratchbuild my walls rather than buying ceramic/plaster walls available in the market to give the freedom of choosing the design I want.

The most common brands/'material here is the wall putty from RJ (Acrylic Copolymer Emulsion Putty ) and Bosny wall putty( Patching & Spackling Compound ) . Are they the same as the drywall putty? Do they stick to styrofoam w/o the aid of any glue?

Thanks
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:10 AM UTC
Dustoff: Thanks for the idea...I also read some articles regarding the use of plaster of paris...although I have some in my stash, I'm trying to save it for the future coz at the moment its kind of hard to find here...some hardwares even the big ones are not selling them (Ace, TrueValue, HomeDepot)...

THanks
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dustoff: Thanks for the idea...I also read some articles regarding the use of plaster of paris...although I have some in my stash, I'm trying to save it for the future coz at the moment its kind of hard to find here...some hardwares even the big ones are not selling them (Ace, TrueValue, HomeDepot)...

THanks

basic wall building

try using Durhamn Water utty or some brand of Plumber's Putty, Works like plaster, but stromer. Can be drilled, sanded, craved

and what ever is left over... place in a plastic bag... couple wacks with a hammerand instant rubble and battle debris

John
www.johnneill
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC
John: I try looking for that also...you have a very informative and useful article...thanks
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:22 PM UTC
Check the 'Buildings and Ruins' topic. There are many ideas on materials and techniques to build various structures.

_GOTOTOP