_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Will the real CARC Tan please stand up
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:29 AM UTC
I’ve been trying to find a match for the current/modern CARC sand/tan used for factory painted vehicles. A search through old posts and exhausting the internet all led to very different points.

Now I know the new CARC colors don’t necesarily subscribe to Federal Standard references, but I used them to try to determine a best match.

I’m working out at Ft Riley with the 1st Infantry Division and an surrounded my a sea of Tan vehicles to use as comparison.

Some have said that model master FS 33446 is their go to best match.... that’s the old MERCD sand. This might have been confused because I notice monument and display vehicles are painted with this. It’s also the background color used from a rattle can to cover old bumper codes.

It also depends when the vehicles were factory painted. I was searching for the color is current use over the past several years.

I found the best match was the more yellow FS 33722 ... only found in Midel Master rattle can, called modern sand.

Being in a rattle can of course, you have to slay some into a cup and then use it in the air brush. Actually a tiny bit of the MERCD sand to lighten it helps with the scale effect.

All these pics were taken with the same camera so it’s not differences in camera or websites. You can see in one pic I spayed a box (yes a Krispy Creme doughnut box)... and held it against a fresh, but dirty paint job. Where the sunlight reflects off the box, you can clearly see it’s the same shade.

Why there aren’t better options for this modern color I don’t know. Factories have been pumping out most vehicles in this color.

Here’s a monument/display vehicle painted in MERCD sand.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 12:51 PM UTC
Have you checked the new brand, Tru-Color ?
/ Robin

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/262294&page=1
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 01:01 PM UTC
33446 is not a MERDC sand. MERDC sand was FS 30277.

33446 is CARC Tan 686, which officially is supposed to be a standard overall vehicle color for desert environments. This color was NOT part of the MERDC system, it was only introduced in TB 43-0209 (31 October 1990) when MERDC was replaced with a "NATO" 3-color camouflage.

In recent years though it has very often - particularly on MRAP vehicles - been replaced with FS 33531.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 04:34 PM UTC
FS33531 is my go to modern sand color for US vehicles. It matches exactly to vehicles I have been assigned to, esp. once weathered and dirtied up a bit.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 05:39 PM UTC
I've heard most people go with Model Master offering for FS 33531. Model Master is enamel based and many have problem with that, but as far as I can tell there is no acrylic paint that comes close to Model Master tone.

If there is an acrylic solution for "realistic" FS 33531, I would love to hear it.

Mario
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

33446 is not a MERDC sand. MERDC sand was FS 30277.

33446 is CARC Tan 686, which officially is supposed to be a standard overall vehicle color for desert environments. This color was NOT part of the MERDC system, it was only introduced in TB 43-0209 (31 October 1990) when MERDC was replaced with a "NATO" 3-color camouflage.

In recent years though it has very often - particularly on MRAP vehicles - been replaced with FS 33531.

My bad. thanks for the correction. I mixed up and swapped the numbers around.
DutyFirst1917
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
It's odd but I have had great results with the Krylon Fusion Sand color spray paint. It's pretty thick so you have to stand back a bit and highly recommend doing it outside on a non-windy day but the result is very good. It gives a nice finish that is very easy to work with and weather. I usually pick mine up at the PX but Lowes or Home Depot should have it!

Tim
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

FS33531 is my go to modern sand color for US vehicles. It matches exactly to vehicles I have been assigned to, esp. once weathered and dirtied up a bit.

I was actually basing my initial trial on some of your posts.

Since I'm here at Ft Riley now, I began to investigate it a lot further because all the recent factory painted vehicles were definitely a different hue, a lot more yellow. The older ones appeared to be more sand 33531. It seems any of the brand new vehicles were closer to the more yellow 33722.

Oddly enough though, when I use 33722 and under indoor light, it appears off. Only when in the same outdoor light as the vehicles is it a definite match.

Like I mentioned, you can see the difference because they still use 33531 in rattle can for touch up and underneath bumper codes.

Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've heard most people go with Model Master offering for FS 33531. Model Master is enamel based and many have problem with that, but as far as I can tell there is no acrylic paint that comes close to Model Master tone.

If there is an acrylic solution for "realistic" FS 33531, I would love to hear it.

Mario

Pssst.....

Yeah....You....

The guy in the back......

There is an acrylic solution for FS33531.......

Model Master 4720 Flat Sand.......

It's been around for years.........

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pssst.....

Ha! Thanks for that...

Mario
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:45 PM UTC
There is a Tamiya mix floating around that I like to use for CARC sand and the Brand New AK Real Colors (just released today) has a CARC Sand paint that works similar to Tamiya paint when it comes to airbrushing.

When I worked on Fort Dix about 8-15 years ago, CARC Sand varied quite a bit...some where nearly white, while had more pigment and where more on the sand/beige shade.

Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:52 PM UTC
Would that explain the odd pinkish-beige tone of some vehicles seen in photos?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:45 PM UTC
Being in the guard I have excess to the vehicles, which over time I was able to mix Tamiyas paints for a match. However I was able to find a near perfect match. It's Rust-oleum Sand in a spray can. It's under their Camouflage line of colors. I found it at Wal-Mart...Use it from can or decant it like I did. All I can say is give it a try....

Happy Modeling,
Joe
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being in the guard I have excess to the vehicles, which over time I was able to mix Tamiyas paints for a match. However I was able to find a near perfect match. It's Rust-oleum Sand in a spray can. It's under their Camouflage line of colors. I found it at Wal-Mart...Use it from can or decant it like I did. All I can say is give it a try....

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Krylon has a line of camo colors as well and the sand in thier line is very close as well I get at the exchange i work at on base
also Mother i sent you a PM about which krylon or rustoleum
color closely matches CARC green (NATO green)
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 03:41 AM UTC
What was the Tamiya colors mix?
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

for those that are interested i have found a site that sells the real deal colors its a online shop for buying restoration parts for military vehicles they also sell the authentic real deal paints that are safe to use on model kits
im planning on buying a spray can of CARC 383 green from them to try it out

AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:01 PM UTC
Krylon has a line of camo colors as well and the sand in thier line is very close as well I get at the exchange i work at on base
also Mother i sent you a PM about which krylon or rustoleum
color closely matches CARC green (NATO green)[/quote]

Krylon "Italian Olive " makes for a good NATO Green.

G
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

for those that are interested i have found a site that sells the real deal colors its a online shop for buying restoration parts for military vehicles they also sell the authentic real deal paints that are safe to use on model kits

Rather have the Tamiya mix as I am comfortable airbrushing Tamiya paints, and I only have some 1/72 vehicles to paint.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rather have the Tamiya mix as I am comfortable airbrushing Tamiya paints, and I only have some 1/72 vehicles to paint.

Try here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1238643643/CARC+Tan+for+modern+U.S.+Armor,+using+Tamiya+paints

_GOTOTOP