_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Trying To Read Peddinghaus Cuff Titles
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 03:34 AM UTC
I notice that Peddinghaus makes a big variety of 1/35 German cuff titles. The bad news is that many of them I cannot read even with a magnifying glass. Is there some listing of which set has what cuff titles and what they say>
766sgtacc
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 07:37 AM UTC
Peddinghaus is a German company, due to anti NAZI laws the are ot allowed to replicate insignia and symbols from WW2.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peddinghaus is a German company, due to anti NAZI laws the are ot allowed to replicate insignia and symbols from WW2.

If I recall, on this forum it was mentioned there was some ambiguity over that. It's akin to the publishing of the book "Mein Kampf", with the idea of "know your enemy".
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. I've had this discussion before with a German model retailer. He clarified that certain BANNED nazi insignia is prohibited. This amounts to any swastikas as well as SS insignia and runes.

Wehrmacht unit insignia and cuff titles are not per se banned.

I've had a few nasty surprises upon receiving a model that I've ordered from Germany only to find all the SS decal options either cut out off the sheet or colored over with marker pen.

As for other manufacturers of cuff titles (Verlinden, Tamiya and Alliance Modelworks), you'll find mostly LAH,Afrika, Das Reich and Wiking division if I recall.Not a very wide variety of cuff titles out there. Oh and the ones that come as part of the Academy Tiger 1 Late are of very poor readability.

Hope this sheds some light.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 03:26 PM UTC
To be fair, the cuff title, if it is correctly in scale, is going to be pretty much unreadable in 1/35th, except under magnification. Of course in larger scales it is a different matter.
trent1961
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 04:45 PM UTC
Mein Kampf was published last year in Germany because the government recognised that it was better to have a critically annotated version out there than black market copies. Personally I can't see the problem with a few 1?35 scale collar and cuff markings. I've always thought that if we try to pretend that these things never happened we risk forgetting them altogether.

Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 07:09 PM UTC
I agree with you Stephen. No harm whatsoever is going to come from a scale military modeler applying historically accurate SS insignia to a model. Its a very far cry from a crazed neo-nazi brandishing a swastika flag and yelling obscenities on the street!

Without wanting to turn this into a political debate, I believe the German government does take a very authoritarian approach to many issues, from how the past is percieved to how current opinions on matters such as the refugee problem are thought of...it all seems very tightly controlled with very little freedom to express anything other than the official line.

In model making there is a very clear need to depict the subject with the greatest realism possible, and I don't see how making historically accurate decals available is going to incite any desires in anyone to become a nazi.

_GOTOTOP