_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Trumpeter Bringing Us a Maus w/Interior
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I wouldn't mind a Ferret or two ( not by Dragon ! ), at this time a Maus will do nicely thank you . Can't see separate engine deck hatches or a turret roof panel , so how do we show off all that interior stuff ?

The large area and simple angles should make for an easy cut-a-way.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Forty-four hundred Ferret scout cars built in various models, used by more than forty nations, . . . If they asked me I'd suggest they make kits for vehicles which actually served, especially in large numbers.

Pfft! By that logic we'd have twenty different kits of 1-ton and 1/4-ton trailers and bicycles and no Tigers at all.

KL
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At the moment I have 0 interest in scout cars so I'll pick the Maus.

I meant that as an example of an armored vehicle produced in large numbers used by many nations which has been at best under-represented in kit form. However if a model company wants to sell a kit of an absurd design exercise that never fired a shot in anger, and if many modelers want to build such a kit, okay, have fun.

My cup of tea is more towards historically significant vehicles, but your mileage might vary, it isn't a right vs. wrong choice.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Forty-four hundred Ferret scout cars built in various models, used by more than forty nations, . . . If they asked me I'd suggest they make kits for vehicles which actually served, especially in large numbers.

Pfft! By that logic we'd have twenty different kits of 1-ton and 1/4-ton trailers and bicycles and no Tigers at all.

KL

If I'd said that kit makers should start with the vehicle produced in the greatest quantity, and then the second greatest, and then the third etc., then a reductio ad absurdum response would have been justified. But actually I contrasted the lack of kits for a vehicle produced in moderate numbers used by many nations over decades vs. an exercise in engineering lunacy which never saw a day of action with anyone and yet which is available from various model makers. "By that logic" seems rather wide of the mark.

As always, everyone is free to prefer whatever model subjects they please--some folks like chocolate, some like vanilla.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

If I'd said that kit makers should start with the vehicle produced in the greatest quantity, and then the second greatest, and then the third etc., then a reductio ad absurdum response would have been justified. But actually I contrasted the lack of kits for a vehicle produced in moderate numbers used by many nations over decades vs. an exercise in engineering lunacy which never saw a day of action with anyone and yet which is available from various model makers. "By that logic" seems rather wide of the mark.

As always, everyone is free to prefer whatever model subjects they please--some folks like chocolate, some like vanilla.

OK . . . "If they worried about service and numbers . . ." And maybe there wouldn't be "zero" Tiger kits, but about the same number as there are Ferret kits today. Is that better?

The point is that service, production, distribution, historical significance, etc. are, in and of themselves, irrelevant to model kit subject selection. It matters so little it doesn't make sense to even bring it up any more.

On top of that, does every new release post have to turn into a thread about what people would like to see instead? Every one?

KL
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 06:03 PM UTC
I don't get this complain whenever something comes out. "It should be 1/72", "it should be 1/35", "I want a more accurate M5 instead"...

This is not a zero sum game. Stuff comes out, some will be happy, some will not; but a Maus with full interior from Trumpeter will not make it impossible for Dragon to issue whatever your little heart desires.

By the way, they should have put out a T1 Cunningham with full interior instead.
bige69
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 11:04 AM UTC
Now available for pre order on couple of the Japanese Online Shops. but dang the price tag is hefty.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 - 11:11 AM UTC
As I always say,any kit release is a good kit release,it grows the hobby,shows manufacturers still want to produce.If it’s not your cup of tea,like this one for me,then ignore it,don,t bash the manufacturer for making it.
 _GOTOTOP