_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Trumpeter Bringing Us a Maus w/Interior
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:53 PM UTC

No release date, yet.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:03 PM UTC
Oh Boy, another prototype that never was. Great!!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh Boy, another prototype that never was. Great!!

What do you mean never was? They did build two of them, so they "was".
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 09:28 PM UTC
You mean ,"a prototype(s) that WAS!" By the end of the war there were TWO working prototypes - V1 and V2.

Drat!! Brekinpaz beat me by minutes!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:40 AM UTC
Two hulls and one turret were produced (one complete vehicle prototype). They went through some very basic initial testing and never went further before the war was over. They were only prototypes that were never fielded; ie. prototypes that never were...

I would rather see the a model of something that was actually fielded as opposed to something that only had one and a half vehicles of an insanely stupid design. To each their own though.
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:45 AM UTC
Goodbye wallet!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:12 AM UTC
Gino, we all get it here, you're on a [sarcastic] great holy crusade war against anything not mass produced being ever properly kitted.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They were only prototypes that were never fielded; ie. prototypes that never were...

Just because they weren't fielded (not all prototypes are) does not mean they didn't exist. Your logic is flawed at best.

A prototype is an early sample, model, or release of a product built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from. It is generally used to evaluate a new design. You yourself admit they went through some initial testing. Those tests revealed the power-to-weight ratio was terrible, and with the logistical problems of moving such a large vehicle to where it was needed it didn't take too long to see that further development would not be practical. So why continue developing a vehicle that the prototype revealed was not a wise design? Regardless of what you think, it WAS a prototype and your solitary opinion will not change that fact.

The only thing true you can say is that it was a PRODUCTION vehicle that never was.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:25 AM UTC
I'm not bashing Trumpeter because they came out with a Maus. I personally like Prototype vehicles. I'm just wondering why they are coming out with kits that are already well established. I'm probably not gonna buy their Maus because I already have Dragons and Takoms. I'm not gonna buy their Tiger 1, Tiger 2, or Panther kits because I already have several of them from Dragon, Tamiya and Meng. I really wish that they would come out with more American armor! They've already kitted every Russian tank that was ever dreamed up, why not start kitting some American production or prototypes kits! There're plenty of them to do.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not bashing Trumpeter because they came out with a Maus. I personally like Prototype vehicles. I'm just wondering why they are coming out with kits that are already well established. I'm probably not gonna buy their Maus because I already have Dragons and Takoms. I'm not gonna buy their Tiger 1, Tiger 2, or Panther kits because I already have several of them from Dragon, Tamiya and Meng. I really wish that they would come out with more American armor! They've already kitted every Russian tank that was ever dreamed up, why not start kitting some American production or prototypes kits! There're plenty of them to do.

I think that the management at Trumpeter are making their own business decisions and they probably have good reasons for spending money on this project.
I have built Dragons Maus and it had some faults, don't know how available it is on the market either.
I haven't checked the two kits from Takom but one of them does not have an interior so I presume the other one is also an empty box.
Trumpeter is now aiming at the market for a, hopefully, correct Maus with interior. I'm not interested, have built one and insides is not my thing, but I am sure there will be buyers for this kit.
Interior of a mouse: http://images.slideplayer.com/27/9210791/slides/slide_4.jpg

/ Robin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not bashing Trumpeter because they came out with a Maus. I personally like Prototype vehicles. I'm just wondering why they are coming out with kits that are already well established.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first Maus, with an interior. So, you can open it up as if it were being inspected or worked on.

Being discussed, on Sprue News, here: http://spruenews.blogspot.com/2017/01/trumpeter-adds-maus-with-interior.html

and ML, here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/message/1515865937/Trumpeter+full+interior+Maus+picture.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 02:54 AM UTC
not my cup of tea but I'm sure it will sell. Trumpeter is all over the map. They're doing a lot of planes and boats right now as well as modern Russian stuff. They're doing a US tank M26 with 90mm in 1/72. Personally I am holding out for the Takom bergie!!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... They were only prototypes that were never fielded; ie. prototypes that never were...

Wrong again! Prototype V2 was ordered to protect OKH headquarters at Wunsdorf, in April 1945, some 25 miles from Berlin. Predictably, it broke down en route on the Hindenburgplatz and was abandoned and destroyed by it's crew. The turret was still more or less intact and the Soviets put it on the hull of the V1 hull for demonstration and trial purposes.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think that the management at Trumpeter are making their own business decisions and they probably have good reasons for spending money on this project.
I have built Dragons Maus and it had some faults, don't know how available it is on the market either.
I haven't checked the two kits from Takom but one of them does not have an interior so I presume the other one is also an empty box.
Trumpeter is now aiming at the market for a, hopefully, correct Maus with interior. I'm not interested, have built one and insides is not my thing, but I am sure there will be buyers for this kit.
Interior of a mouse: http://images.slideplayer.com/27/9210791/slides/slide_4.jpg

/ Robin

You also need to remember that Trumpeter serves a market that doesn't have access to the manufacturers and kits that we do so they are supplying kits to that market. The upshot is we get a wider selection of kits.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... They were only prototypes that were never fielded; ie. prototypes that never were...

Wrong again! Prototype V2 was ordered to protect OKH headquarters at Wunsdorf, in April 1945, some 25 miles from Berlin. Predictably, it broke down en route on the Hindenburgplatz and was abandoned and destroyed by it's crew. The turret was still more or less intact and the Soviets put it on the hull of the V1 hull for demonstration and trial purposes

you forgot that the maus is curreently on display at the tank museum at kubinka
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:40 AM UTC
Gosh Darn!! I thought EVERYONE knew that!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gosh Darn!! I thought EVERYONE knew that!

Well, everyone who actually takes the time to learn a little about the vehicles they are building or the subject in general.
iam2brb
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 07:58 AM UTC
Trumpeter (a company that I DO like alot) is better at putting pics int hier catalog and showing prototypes than actually PRODUCING the items they show...AAAARGH
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 08:14 AM UTC
Who needs a Maus when we need a Bergepanther Ausf D and a Bergepanther A with turret cover and crane?!

I'd be impressed if it were a Ratte with interior!

All jokes aside, no-one has kitted a mousey with guts yet so why the complaints?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 10:18 PM UTC
You could do a neat, factual, dio of V-2 Maus exploded and being inspected by Soviet troops. Several photos of that wreck available for free on internet.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Trumpeter (a company that I DO like alot) is better at putting pics int hier catalog and showing prototypes than actually PRODUCING the items they show...AAAARGH

Oh please, that's ridiculous. Even if you listed 25 kits that Trumpeter has announced but not released (and I'll bet the real number is way smaller) in the last five years there would still be four times more that were released.

Let me guess . . .you are still bothered by their TBD announcement from years ago.

KL
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh please, that's ridiculous. Even if you listed 25 kits that Trumpeter has announced but not released (and I'll bet the real number is way smaller) in the last five years there would still be four times more that were released.

Let me guess . . .you are still bothered by their TBD announcement from years ago.

KL

Judging by the photo, this kit is ready to go into production. Seeing as they released two Tigers, recently; I would say we will see this one by the end of the year. I am surprised that Trumpeter is releasing an interior and not passing it off to Hobby Boss.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:27 AM UTC
Forty-four hundred Ferret scout cars built in various models, used by more than forty nations, 1/35 kits amount to a few resin offerings dating from the 1990s. Maus--prototype that never saw action, take your pick of which kit you'd like to build.

The model companies make what they think will sell, maybe this is being driven by the Girls und Panzer thing, who knows. If they asked me I'd suggest they make kits for vehicles which actually served, especially in large numbers. However they don't seem to be asking me, LOL.

Big and German seems to be the formula for success when it comes to armor model kits, that's where the money is.
reteip9
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:42 AM UTC
At the moment I have 0 interest in scout cars so I'll pick the Maus.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
Although I wouldn't mind a Ferret or two ( not by Dragon ! ), at this time a Maus will do nicely thank you . Can't see separate engine deck hatches or a turret roof panel , so how do we show off all that interior stuff ?
 _GOTOTOP