_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
No help at all.
Bearcat49
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 03:50 AM UTC
This forum is something else. I have seen so many questions asked with very little feedback, if any, from other members.

I have seen questions asked, with over 10,000 views, and there might be 20 replies. That is incredible. I saw a question asked by Bat-23 Back in November of 2017 and he/She is still waiting for some answer.

I asked a question after I joined, with lots of views yet no one has bothered to reply. Oh well, sorry to bother you. My bad...

I
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 03:56 AM UTC
Don't take it personally. What was your query?
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:02 AM UTC
If I know the answer to your question I will be happy to answer it.
If I don't know, I am not going to post a reply to say "I don't know".
If no one here evidently knows the answer to your question, it is no ones job but yours to do the research. What were you expecting?

Ive been posting on internet forums since BB days, and this exact complaint has appeared everywhere, in every context. Evidently you haven't been able to answer any of those other posters questions either. thanks for your input.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This forum is something else. I have seen so many questions asked with very little feedback, if any, from other members.

I have seen questions asked, with over 10,000 views, and there might be 20 replies. That is incredible. I saw a question asked by Bat-23 Back in November of 2017 and he/She is still waiting for some answer.

I asked a question after I joined, with lots of views yet no one has bothered to reply. Oh well, sorry to bother you. My bad...

I

David, could it be where you are posting the question? If you look at your header, you have 9 posts altogether-- only one is on Armorama (this one--about No Help)-which seems to be your first posting here. The other 8 are on Kitmaker-- some folks don't follow the Kitmaker posts-- and only follow Armorama, Aeroscale, Model Shipwrights, or Historica Forma, etc. I recommend you resubmit your query to the site closest to your modeling question and needs, that might make a difference.
VR, Russ
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:11 AM UTC
If the question is one I can answer then I will answer.If I don't know the answer I am not going to give a response that could be incorrect or wrong.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:15 AM UTC
Do you really want the embarrassment that comes with getting slammed for a "best guesstimate" when someone else supposedly has a definitive answer?

I spent 10 years of my life being very intimate with certain pieces of military machinery only to be told by museum goers and casual readers that I'm wrong? Sometimes people are reluctant to answer for many good and valid reasons.

It's often better to hone ones critical thinking skills and cross reference sources and use the old imagination.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:27 AM UTC
On the other side of the spectrum is when a bunch of us answer a question,some with a lot of research and pictures,and then the original poster simply disappears without so much as a thank you of any kind.
Bearcat49
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 06:20 AM UTC
I understand what all of you are saying and I agree that many just don't have an answer. But it wasn't as much about my post as it was about others posts. The numbers seem crazy to me when you have thousands of views yet you can count replies on fingers and toes.

Seriously though, I know the numbers get out of proportion because a lot of people just want to read the other replies, and that is expected I guess and in my case I may have posted in an incorrect category. I was just trying to find out how those folks doing research colorize b/w photos.

The poor guy from last November is probably getting impatient waiting for some help. Haha....
Removed by original poster on 02/05/18 - 01:22:05 (GMT).
Bearcat49
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the other side of the spectrum is when a bunch of us answer a question,some with a lot of research and pictures,and then the original poster simply disappears without so much as a thank you of any kind.

I can agree with that.
Bearcat49
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I

David, could it be where you are posting the question? If you look at your header, you have 9 posts altogether-- only one is on Armorama (this one--about No Help)-which seems to be your first posting here. The other 8 are on Kitmaker-- some folks don't follow the Kitmaker posts-- and only follow Armorama, Aeroscale, Model Shipwrights, or Historica Forma, etc. I recommend you resubmit your query to the site closest to your modeling question and needs, that might make a difference.
VR, Russ

I just noticed the Kitmaker thing and I do not understand how that happened. I was in here when I posted. I also posted in the welcome section as well. Dang it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Bearcat49
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you really want the embarrassment that comes with getting slammed for a "best guesstimate" when someone else supposedly has a definitive answer?

I spent 10 years of my life being very intimate with certain pieces of military machinery only to be told by museum goers and casual readers that I'm wrong? Sometimes people are reluctant to answer for many good and valid reasons.

It's often better to hone ones critical thinking skills and cross reference sources and use the old imagination.

Oh, I smell what you're cooking. Eventually I started looking for answers in other places like Wikipedia and sites pertaining to the pieces I was interested in. I had a little bit of success but I have realized that in answer to my original question about colourizing old photos that sometimes the information may be in print form and not in a photo.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just noticed the Kitmaker thing and I do not understand how that happened. I was in here when I posted. I also posted in the welcome section as well. Dang it. Thanks for pointing that out.

David-- I've had the same problem. You cant just post by clicking on the "Want to Post?" button at the bottom of the topic page--that just gets you to the "Main" (Kitmaker site)-- once you are there--you have to select which category and where the question you want goes--Armorama has a little tank in the picture on the left. Aeroscale has an airplane, etc. You're not the only one who's made that mistake. I still make it occasionally. As to your question about colorizing BW photos-- I have no idea, and im sure many of us here don't-- so don't take offense if there's no forthcoming answer-- the right folks probably haven't seen the question yet. I personally only have the time to skim the posts, there are so many, so I only look for topics that are of interest to me. I'm sure others are the same. Your topic heading is what caught my eye--so an interesting topic line is the best way to get folks to view it--but that won't always guarantee an answer if folks don't have one for you.
VR, Russ
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Agree
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:13 AM UTC
another thing is not to rely too much on the number of views because part of that number is generated by peoples who use search engines like google, yahoo, etc...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:23 AM UTC
Your question is a very technical one and so I am not surprised we were unable to answer it. I wonder if it is the sort of question better placed in a photographic forum.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 12:18 PM UTC
You gotta remember this isn't Facebook where you get a thumbs up if you post that your mother died. It's not a social media site where people are going to respond even if they don't know the answer. If people don't know then they are not going to post b.s. in response. It's not disrespect, it's most likely they really don't know.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 05:53 PM UTC
Take this question for instance:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/266268&page=1

Over 200 views but not a single answer (yet ...).
The most probable reason is that nobody knows.

It would be different if the question had been about the correct colour for the little "cup" in the centre of a roadwheel for an M1 Abrams. At least 2-3 members who visit Armorama regularly would know the answer.
Ask about serrations or no serrations underneath the rubber on road wheels for Sherman tanks and you can get an official drawing showing the dimensions of the wheel

/ Robin
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:20 PM UTC
I guess this thread may be useful regarding PT-109 colors...

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/126984.aspx

and this article as well :

http://www.ptboatworld.com/PT_Boat_Info/colorschemes.htm

H.P.
zedhol
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 12:08 AM UTC
Well I have asked several questions here, the most recent one being this one:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/266121&page=1

I got several answers, including pictures and if you look at the bottom, I left appreciation.

So it does work right sometimes.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 02:35 AM UTC
This is a big boys forum, and like many have said - if no one has the answer no one is going to say "sorry don't know" . Nor is it Facebook, where an acknowledgement is expected on every little post. You certainly can't expect an answer if it's not even in the Armorama forum!
Notice the question on Panther references recently - nine replies in less than two days, all with excellent information. People knew something and answered appropriately. Sometimes people will "bump" a thread as a reminder, if an answer is not forthcoming.
I agree with others also, if people take the time to respond, please say a quick thanks or whatever.
I can only assume whatever BAT21 asked no one had the answer, or it was ine the wrong section...
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen questions asked, with over 10,000 views, and there might be 20 replies.

There is always the possibility that one or more of the twenty answers are correct or covers the question asked thoroughly enough that no further answer is necessary.
I usually read an entire "question" thread prior to posting to see if the question has been answered adequately so I won't just be repeating something someone else has posted.

Cheers,
C.
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 05:23 AM UTC
I believe the high view VS. low post rate is probably due to the many visitors VS. members.

As I type this, there are 330 ppl. on the site but only 40 members. That's one in eight who could post if they wanted to (non-members cant leave comments as I'm sure you know).
And alot of the members have areas they specialize in, so they cant really comment / reply to your question with any knowledgeable answer.

So...
Now your down to maybe one in 30...
And you know the result.

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2018 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your question is a very technical one and so I am not surprised we were unable to answer it. I wonder if it is the sort of question better placed in a photographic forum.

Exactly.

I imagine we all try to help if we know the answer. But Darren is right. Wrong forum for your question DavidG. Sorry bud.
 _GOTOTOP