_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Primer/Chip Color for IDF Merkava/Centurion
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 06:02 AM UTC
All,

I will be building some IDF vehicles soon, a Centurion (Shot Kal) 1973 version, and several Merkavas, Mark I, II, III and IVs. I have already built a Merkava IV and a 1967 Shot, but I chose not to chip either of those vehicles. I know the IDF has a reputation for maintaining their vehicles extremely well, so chips in the paint are not as prevalent as, perhaps, on some other country's vehicles. However, given that vehicles used in combat will, inevitably, have SOME, amount of chipping, what would you suggest as a primer color, which would be covered with hairspray/chipping fluid, and then the main color? I'm set on the main colors for these tanks, and I think that the Shot Kal could reasonably have British Bronze Green as the primer color, which would then show through chips, though if anyone has a more accurate idea, I'd love to hear about it. And, I honestly have no idea about a primer coat for any of the Merkava series. I may have asked a similar question some time ago, but I was unsuccessful in finding it. Thanks for any help!
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 08:18 AM UTC
Red oxide primer. For the Merkavas and the Shot Cal, since it was modified in IDF facilities.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 12:29 PM UTC
Curt, Nikos is right about the red oxide, however I would go easy on this kind of chipping, especially on Merkavas. Playing around with darker/lighter shades of the base color is probably a better choice. I would emphasize weathering of IDF vehicles by applying oil/fuel streaks, grease, grime and dust/mud rather than extensive chipping.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Curt, Nikos is right about the red oxide, however I would go easy on this kind of chipping, especially on Merkavas. Playing around with darker/lighter shades of the base color is probably a better choice. I would emphasize weathering of IDF vehicles by applying oil/fuel streaks, grease, grime and dust/mud rather than extensive chipping.

I totally agree. Keep your chipping to a minimum, go for shadows, dust, dirt and streaks
philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:19 PM UTC
On the other hand, there are photos in one of Michael Mass’ books showing a Merkava 2D on the Golan with a lot of paint chipped off the armour modules on the LHS of the turret. So it does happen!
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So it does happen!

Of course it does, the question to what extent. I don’t recall to see red primer chipping on 1:1 Merkavas (and I served on an old beast...).
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On the other hand, there are photos in one of Michael Mass’ books showing a Merkava 2D on the Golan with a lot of paint chipped off the armour modules on the LHS of the turret.

Is it similar to pictures #1335-1336 seen here? https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/260992&ord=&page=9
philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 11:59 PM UTC
Much more extensive than that, andshowing the red oxide primer beneath.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:11 AM UTC
Found the previous topic:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/260548
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:18 AM UTC
There are a couple of pics of M60 during Peace for Galilee with paint over the ERA bricks in the glacis extremely worn-off and showing a lot of the red primer.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Much more extensive than that, andshowing the red oxide primer beneath.

Actually the chipping on the picture isn’t chipping at all, but glue residue after removing parts of the MILES system. I had them on my tank as well. The question isn’t whether red oxide chipping occurs on Merkavas or not (I guess it does, although I can’t recall ever seeing it) but rather if it’s a common phenomena that should be replicated on the model or not. From my experience, it isn’t common at all. I have pictures of a Merkava painted in a three-tone camouflage but that doesn't mean it was common (actually only one was painted such AFAIK)...

The reason I love Nikos’ IDF builds (apart from the excellent craftsmanship of course) because he doesn’t weather them like a WW2 tank with tons of unrealistic chipping and rust (which hardly, if at all, should be on an active IDF vehicle).
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2018 - 01:10 AM UTC
With the permition of Mr Mass:

This is a scratch/damage to the paint. Note how the paint fades where it rubbed against something and where the heavy contact scratched the paint and the primer is shown.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 06:07 PM UTC
Thanks, guys. I haven’t looked here in awhile, and I’m glad you could help me. I know chipping on IDF vehicles is minimal, and I surely won’t go crazy with such chipping, but I want to try to be accurate with color when those chips actually are present!!
 _GOTOTOP