_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
New "Giant" russian gun coming...?
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 05:10 AM UTC
Been away and just heard there will be a LARGE russian SPG in the works from Trumpy or...?
Any thoughts on this kit...?
[email protected]

thehermit
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 05:45 AM UTC
Laurie,

I suspect this is the Kondensator already referred to here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/29207

Brian
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 05:51 AM UTC
It's already available
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 05:58 AM UTC
Available at Squadron. I think 107 US dollars.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:23 AM UTC
It still amazes me that manufacturers produce stuff that barely or never existed while so many weapon systems and support vehicles that had a huge impact go for want. In this case a mere four were produced, maybe, and it was thought they were propaganda items with absolutely no impact. We can get any number of German WWII vehicles that never made it off the design table, several Cold War Vehicles that are mostly propaganda, and yet getting variations of certain Sherman variants, a Mack NO, or for instance an "Atomic Cannon" in 1/35 scale is impossible. Why the demand for these items that never or barely existed?
VR, Russ
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:33 AM UTC
Right on Russ !!!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It still amazes me that manufacturers produce stuff that barely or never existed while so many weapon systems and support vehicles that had a huge impact go for want. In this case a mere four were produced, maybe, and it was thought they were propaganda items with absolutely no impact. We can get any number of German WWII vehicles that never made it off the design table, several Cold War Vehicles that are mostly propaganda, and yet getting variations of certain Sherman variants, a Mack NO, or for instance an "Atomic Cannon" in 1/35 scale is impossible. Why the demand for these items that never or barely existed? T
VR, Russ

Because they look cool.

Model companies have no interest in providing a balanced historical record in 1/35 scale. They want something that will sell. While modelers are confident (in the way that those with no money on the line always are) that this or that "important" or "neglected" subject would sell, the list of dark horse successes is quite short.

KL
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2018 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because they look cool.

Model companies have no interest in providing a balanced historical record in 1/35 scale. They want something that will sell. While modelers are confident (in the way that those with no money on the line always are) that this or that "important" or "neglected" subject would sell, the list of dark horse successes is quite short.

KL

Have to agree 100%. That is why almost every company makes a Tiger... because they sell better than any other model.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 12:05 AM UTC
This is the Soviet near equivalent of the Atomic cannon so I wouldn't count out seeing one yet.

Besides they were on parade and all over the literature of the period so why not? But Trumpeter does Soviet, no one is covering the missiles and such of the Cold War for the other side. Though Dragon and Afv-club have made a start with the HAWK. And that lackluster Dragon Lance which might as well be a Life-like kit.

Imagine Afv-club adapting their M54 5 ton to make an Honest John and M35 to do a Lacrosse. A guy can dream.

But for the imagined cost, I might as well find an Adams/Life-like one.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 02:39 AM UTC
The difference between the Atomic Cannon and the Kondensator is huge. There really is no comparison. The Atomic Cannon was actually fielded, employed and fired. And it was is believed to have a historical influence in the Korean Armistice, since for the first time in history, an army had the ability to use an atomic weapon on a "conventional" battlefield. So why the Kondensator? Kurt likely has the answer. Nevertheless, how many Kondensator's will be sold compared to a Mack NO? Or an Honest John or Lacrosse as Stephen has mentioned? I still don't get it from that perspective. Guess it depends on your personal definition of "cool".
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 04:56 AM UTC
We all have that subject that we want that was never kitted and doesn't show any sign of being kitted.

It's an old conversation. We have how many Bergepanthers coming? Five years ago who ever thought we'd see a Scammel transporter.

Someone is testing the water with missiles. Every Soviet anything including oddball prototypes and propaganda pieces is being done. Again, ten years ago who thought we'd see all these?

Tell you the truth when Takom came out with their M3 Lee series I never imagined an M3A1 let alone the M3A1 CDL. We're inundated with stuff I never imagined would appear in plastic.

French Pluton? IIRC that's on a modified Amx-30 chassis? The various incarnations of the Roland? Come on, let's see them, the basic chassis are already made.

Okay we have all the Soviet AA missiles how about a Bristol Bloodhound and the Nike series? We have preserved Nike sites in New Jersey they can examine.
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 05:17 AM UTC
I agree... the companies have to make what they think will generate cash flow...and profit ( not a bad word ) ..that's why they exist.
I do think that the Atomic Cannon would sell very very well...
Also, the Missiles of the US Army of the 1950's.... Honest John, LaCrosse, Little John, Corporal, Nikes Ajax and Nike Hercules...
And the Pershing.... a little later but a great subject!
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 - 01:39 PM UTC
This amazes me as well. Multiple mfrs do the same paper panzer or jet that only flew on the drafting board! But these things sell, or they wouldn't be kitted.

Quoted Text

It still amazes me that manufacturers produce stuff that barely or never existed while so many weapon systems and support vehicles that had a huge impact go for want. In this case a mere four were produced, maybe, and it was thought they were propaganda items with absolutely no impact. We can get any number of German WWII vehicles that never made it off the design table, several Cold War Vehicles that are mostly propaganda, and yet getting variations of certain Sherman variants, a Mack NO, or for instance an "Atomic Cannon" in 1/35 scale is impossible. Why the demand for these items that never or barely existed?
VR, Russ

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree... the companies have to make what they think will generate cash flow...and profit ( not a bad word ) ..that's why they exist.
Also, the Missiles of the US Army of the 1950's.... Honest John, LaCrosse, Little John, Corporal, Nikes Ajax and Nike Hercules...

and the Davy Crocket launcher, tripod and mounted on a jeep.
mmmmmmmmm
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2018 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

and the Davy Crocket launcher, tripod and mounted on a jeep.
mmmmmmmmm

Robin,

Perchance to dream eh? I'm nearly there - I have the Sharkit model of the Davy Crockett but have yet to build it let alone install it on a Jeep!

So many models, so little time....

Brian
 _GOTOTOP