_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best "Cromwell" tank kit?
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

what we Brits would call a "Hurdle" construct

I didn't know what word to use and wasn't really satisfied with "brushwood"...

H.P.

Frenchy,

"Brushwood" is just fine; what we Brits know as "Hurdles" (normally used to keep livestock constrained) goes back to Anglo-Saxon times and God knows what their name for the thing actually was.

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks man,tht is even BETTER than the first. Besides the rubber strips I also see zimmerit"?

You're welcome. Even though the British Army tested their own Zimmerit (http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/british-work-on-zimmerit/) I guess what you see is just ribbed rubber material (IWM picture):

Zoomable version

H.P.

I just wonder if the ribbed bits are from flattened out radiator hoses? That might explain the slight curvature some pieces have.

I further wonder - and the road to hell is paved with such - if only the one Squadron experimented? I think it's unlikely that the whole regiment would be so modified, partly due to the lack of rubber for some 50-odd tanks, and also because of British Army orthodoxy prevailing at the time; none of which helps poor Jerry at the moment!

I thought the use of "brushwood" (what we Brits would call a "Hurdle" construct) highly imaginative, but lest we forget, men were living and dying in these machines.

Probably high time I tackled the Regimental Museum and the Tank Museum and see what comes up.

Brian

An enigma,shrouded by fog,wrapped in mist.
Interesting though. Even more so since I received my spanking new Cromwell kit today in the post.
Now the aftermarket decisions and assembly begins. Treads surely. The decals cover a 11AD tank so....?
J

Well Jerry, if it comes with 11 AD markings, what's not to like..?!

Brian
 _GOTOTOP