_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Takom: Willys Jeep Family
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 02:37 AM UTC

Takom just posted this on their Facebook page.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 02:47 AM UTC
This could be interesting. Maybe they will make some of the later jeeps since it is listed as a Willys Jeep Family. An M38, M606, etc. in plastic would be nice.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hopefully some of the later ones will appear and be interesting but I would much rather see the Ferret family being done.....
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 03:47 AM UTC
Yipppeeee !!! My wish is that an open canvas top is included !
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC
Given the poor state of 35th scale Jeeps, this is great news. Other than the expensive Bronco airborne versions, I can't recall anything but the ancient Tamiya kits. They build up nicely but need MAJOR AM upgrades to look decent.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 04:20 AM UTC
Nice to hear about a Jeep release.Interesting the wording of Willys family of Jeeps. It leads to some very interesting kits
As to Takom I'm not familiar with their kits. So were would their Jeep fit. I mean you have Italeri kit which is at the bottom of the scale, then there's Tamiya's which seems to be the most built and then there is Bronco's which some have called over engineered.
Personally I would have liked to seen Takom think outside the 1/35 box and went in the direction of 1/24 or 1/16 scale with this Willys Jeep family venture.
Dave M
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC
The "newer" (1997) Tamiya Willys MB (35219) is not that bad OOB.

It is much better than the "ancient" Tamiya (53115) and Italeri (314) Willys MBs.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yipppeeee !!! My wish is that an open canvas top is included !

Bronco's kit (with the 37 mm gun) comes with open and closed tops.
VR, Russ
TanksFormers
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Ford G.P.A. please! M29 Weasel?
Removed by original poster on 02/14/19 - 18:11:32 (GMT).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 06:15 AM UTC
Maybe on the GPA as it is part of the Willys Jeep Family since it was derived from the Ford GPW, which was the Ford version of the Willys MB.

The M29 Weisel is in no way related though.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 06:25 AM UTC
I went to a museum where there was a collection of every 1/4 ton gp truck from the first Bantam to the M151A2. (Including SAS modified and the extended body and the amphibious)

It'd be wild if Takom took that as their example for "Willy's jeep" family.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 07:04 AM UTC
This certainly is a welcome news! Yes, Tamiya 35219 is the best one on the market at the moment. Let's not forget the over-priced Dragon jeep offerings. Why not add one more like Sherman and Tiger?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This certainly is a welcome news! Yes, Tamiya 35219 is the best one on the market at the moment. Let's not forget the over-priced Dragon jeep offerings. Why not add one more like Sherman and Tiger?

I have to disagree, having built Bronco, Tamiya, Italeri, Dragon, Monogram, Miniart (Bantam) and Heller Jeeps. The Bronco Jeeps are certainly the best on the market now-- if you can find them, followed by Tamiya. The rest I'd leave on the shelf- with an honorable mention for trying (sort of) to Dragon. We'll see how this TAKOM one looks when it comes out. But if it's as good as the CAD drawings, it looks to give the Bronco Jeeps a run for their money. Wonder what the cost will be? Cost wise, Tamiya is no doubt the best value for the $$, as Bronco is pretty steep (but you get what you pay for too). By the way, there is a comparrison of Jeep kits somewhere here on Armorama. I did my own comparison between the Dragon, Tamiya and Bronco bodies-- Bronco and Tamiya are exactly the same dimensions-- Dragon is definitely off. We won't talk about the rest.
VR, Russ
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:16 AM UTC
Do you think the Indian knock off will be included in the family?
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or the original Bantam?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 12:02 PM UTC
This is good news. If they keep it simple, yet with good detail and price it will be popular.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...collection of every 1/4 ton gp truck from the first Bantam to the M151A2.

I don't think so, or I wouldn't include all of them as part of the Willys Family.

The Bantam BRC-40 was one of the prototype vehicles, along with the Willys Quad and the Ford Pygmy, that was competing for the Army scout car contract. Bantam was originally selected, but could not fulfill the contract. Willy's was then selected to complete the contract with their improved design, the MB, which included some features of the BRC-40 and the Pygmy. This became the standard and Ford was brought on to build their version of the MB, the Ford GPW, to help Willys complete the massive contract.

The M151 series was a totally new Ford design that had no lineage to the Willys jeeps.

Quoted Text

Maybe, The Mahindra jeeps were license-built civilian Jeep CJ3Bs and CJ5s.

Quoted Text

Or the original Bantam?

Not really part of the Willys line. See above about the Bantam BRC-40.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the ancient Tamiya kits.

Ancient? Am I getting that old? Would you call your 22 yr old child ancient?

Jim
dcrfan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 06:56 PM UTC
What about including 'aftermarket' modified Jeeps like rail Jeeps and even this armoured rail Jeep

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 07:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Takom just posted this on their Facebook page.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Hello, Everyone!!!

Now THIS IS MORE LIKE IT!!! Soooo, so sick of seeing the seemingly ENDLESS Panzer Armies of Panthers and Tigers coming from several different manufacturers all at once...

Now, as to what may seem opinionated to some of you, let me just share a thought:

Do we REALLY need all of that detail packed into a model that when completed, will be smaller than a single pack of cigarettes???

A LOT of us will probably display this little critter in a dio of some sort, presumably with the Hood, ("Bonnet", in the case of our U.K. and Commonwealth Friends' terminology), "shut", leaving the Engine Compartment HIDDEN. Also, all of that pretty Drive-train and Suspension detail would be hidden if this diminutive vehicle is to be posed as sitting intact on all four wheels...

Unless some of you have plans of displaying this new Jeep kit in a "roll-over crash" dio. Or, perhaps a factory "assembly-line" or "motor pool" dio of a Jeep undergoing an "extensive-overhaul". But why bother to go through such an extensive repair, when there were so very many other Jeeps pouring out of America's huge war-time industrial base..? Or, even a simple "field-repair" or "maintenance" vignette..?

Now please don't get me wrong- I LOVE detail-packed model kits of any stripe or color, and I'm certainly one of those people that will gladly spend a small fortune on "detailing-up" even said "detail-packed model kits".

In another forum, one of our model-builder friends mentioned their preference for simpler kits, and I happened to agree with him. It boils down to this:

Does the fact that most of the "extra" INTERNAL and "out-of-sight" detail UNDERNEATH the vehicle won't be seen justify the extra expense of the kit AND the extra time and effort on the part of the modeler..? In certain cases yes, but in most cases, probably not... I think there will probably be a lot of guys that will simply wind up building this little "cutie" as a "curbside" model, loading it up with figures and stowage, which will draw the eye away from what may or may not be found under the Hood/Bonnet, or the model's undersides. Let me just point out that some great modelers have done some really OUTSTANDING WORK with the old-and-simple 1/35 TAMIYA Jeep kits. Am I right..?

If we were talking about a much bigger subject, such as an all-new tooling CCKW-series or a Mack No, it's pretty obvious that there is quite a bit more detail that is visible, as far as the Suspension and Drive-train are concerned...

Again, don't get me wrong- I APPLAUD TAKOM's efforts in bringing us NEW Jeeps!

So, OK- Now I will have to eat my own words- I WILL PROBABLY wind up buying one or two of these new TAKOM Jeeps!!! The illustrations look great. My operative word is "PROBABLY"; I will read the build-reviews thoroughly, once the reviewers actually have these kits in their own hands, before I actually buy. Let's hope that TAKOM continues with a series of all-new WWII US/Allied Soft-skins, and possibly some new armor as well...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the ancient Tamiya kits.

Ancient? Am I getting that old? Would you call your 22 yr old child ancient?

Jim

Hi, Jim!

I HEAR THAT...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have to disagree, having built Bronco, Tamiya, Italeri, Dragon, Monogram, Miniart (Bantam) and Heller Jeeps. The Bronco Jeeps are certainly the best on the market now-- if you can find them, followed by Tamiya. The rest I'd leave on the shelf- with an honorable mention for trying (sort of) to Dragon. We'll see how this TAKOM one looks when it comes out. But if it's as good as the CAD drawings, it looks to give the Bronco Jeeps a run for their money. Wonder what the cost will be? Cost wise, Tamiya is no doubt the best value for the $$, as Bronco is pretty steep (but you get what you pay for too). By the way, there is a comparrison of Jeep kits somewhere here on Armorama. I did my own comparison between the Dragon, Tamiya and Bronco bodies-- Bronco and Tamiya are exactly the same dimensions-- Dragon is definitely off. We won't talk about the rest.
VR, Russ

Hi, Russ!

AGREE with your assessment!!!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...collection of every 1/4 ton gp truck from the first Bantam to the M151A2.

I don't think so, or I wouldn't include all of them as part of the Willys Family.

The Bantam BRC-40 was one of the prototype vehicles, along with the Willys Quad and the Ford Pygmy, that was competing for the Army scout car contract. Bantam was originally selected, but could not fulfill the contract. Willy's was then selected to complete the contract with their improved design, the MB, which included some features of the BRC-40 and the Pygmy. This became the standard and Ford was brought on to build their version of the MB, the Ford GPW, to help Willys complete the massive contract.

The M151 series was a totally new Ford design that had no lineage to the Willys jeeps.

Quoted Text

Maybe, The Mahindra jeeps were license-built civilian Jeep CJ3Bs and CJ5s.

Quoted Text

Or the original Bantam?

Not really part of the Willys line. See above about the Bantam BRC-40.

That's why I put "Willy's jeeps" in quotes hoping Takom will be more imaginative and less pedantic.

Don't be so damned literal. Show some spark. Sheesh -
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:49 PM UTC
For Dennis

Regarding the detailing that may or may not ever be seen again.
For me it is like reading a book, when I have finished it I know how it ended (who did it in case it is a crime novel).
Do I care about all the details inside the covers once I have finished it? If I were in a hurry I would just read the last pages (it was either the butler or the wife) to find out how it ends.
For me the details add to the funs of building the kit.
Once I have it in the display cabinet I could always pick it up
and turn it over.

/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP