Australian M1A1 Aftermarket Kits?
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi All,
I know there have been many discussions, threads and posts, about conversion kits and parts, to make 1/35 Australian M1A1 tanks from various model kits, but all of the referenced aftermarket kits I have found seem to be no longer in production or no longer available. Does anyone know of any CURRENTLY AVAILABLE aftermarket conversion kits to make an Australian M1A1 from any of the current models available now? Sorry to dredge up a tired old topic, but I would be greatly appreciative!
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 09:46 AM UTC
Fox Models makes a conversion set, although it’s missingba few items depending on what time period you are modelling. Available from HLJ and Hobby Search. It’s out of stock at HLJ but can still be ordered. They are limited production but usually available.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 05:28 PM UTC
Thanks, Jon. I contacted HLJ and they were very nice. I ordered the Fox Model set, even though it's out of stock, and they will order it; I won't be charged until/unless it comes in. Thanks again for the idea!
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hello Curt,

The Meng kit is the closest you can get to an Australian M1A1
It is This one of the Meng's variants.

Agreed that there are no aftermarket kits available but a lot in the one which was discontinued seems to be covered in the variant listed above.

The Tankograd publication is a must for reference and that is where the Meng M1A1 variant was cross checked against the images in this publication.

Other items required can be all supplied by Mouse house.
Being the fridge , Aussie Jerrycans and the power lead which is in the CES set for Aussie Afv's.
Not to mention the Aussie milk crate and gas bottle

Michael
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 10:42 AM UTC
The Dragon M1A2 SEP (3536) is just as complete and just as appropriate for an Aussie M1A1 SA (Situational Awareness).

There was also an Aussie M1A1 conversion set from Mouse House as well. I don't know if it is still available though.

Aussie M1A1 Conversion set
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hi all,

Mike and Gino - kind of wrong on both counts.

The most accurate out of box for an Aussie Abrams is the Rye Field Models M1A1/A2. There are still items you need to add (later pattern inf/tank telephone, barrel changing handle for the commanders 50 cal, fridge, power socket for fridge, umbrella mount, power socket protector for commanders 50 cal IR sight, and cable for that sight, depending on timeframe, spare track mounts on each side of the turret, spare wheel mount on the turret top).

Having said that, the RFM is closest, the kit provides a choice of front fenders, turret blow off panels drivers hatch and cross wind sensor, and also has the closest engine deck configuration to our Abrams and has the IR sight for the commanders' 50 cal. It also comes with a full interior if one is so inclined. Our Abrams show a mix of cross wind sensors and front fender types (with and without the stamped X), and we have plain turret blow off panels, so the RFM kit is perfect here.

Heres some shots of my RFM kit (still to add the corrected inf/tank telephone)

I used the (sadly) now out of production Arms Corps Models Abrams update on my kit. There is some talk of this excellent company starting up limited production in the future.

For those interested, we have a group on Facebook dedicated to Australian Abrams builds and research:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/424456964597244/

Cheers

Sam
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 02:23 PM UTC
First off, I want to say a big THANK YOU to Michael, Gino and Sam for all the great ideas. Lots of choices, but not sure which option to go with. Sam, I did ask to join your FaceBook page on the Aussie Abrams.

I'm currently building the Rye Field M1A1/A2 with the interior, but am planning to build that one to replicate the 2003 Thunder Run tank 'Answer to This' for myself, as I'd built that for the Ft. Stewart exhibit, and I really liked that tank, and want one with a mine plow, too, so this is a great choice; I could just get another one of these. I'm going to order a Meng M1A1 USMC kit to build into the really beaten up, rusted, filthy USMC tank that I started a recent thread on (I could just order another one), and I already have a few Dragon M1A2 SEPs, unbuilt, so I could do any of these.

I did order the Tankograd publication, which will be nice to have, regardless.

It's still the biggest challenge to find any of the aftermarket parts...
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Mike and Gino - kind of wrong on both counts.

The most accurate out of box for an Aussie Abrams is the Rye Field Models M1A1/A2. There are still items you need to add (later pattern inf/tank telephone, barrel changing handle for the commanders 50 cal, fridge, power socket for fridge, umbrella mount, power socket protector for commanders 50 cal IR sight, and cable for that sight, depending on timeframe, spare track mounts on each side of the turret, spare wheel mount on the turret top).

Having said that, the RFM is closest, the kit provides a choice of front fenders, turret blow off panels drivers hatch and cross wind sensor, and also has the closest engine deck configuration to our Abrams and has the IR sight for the commanders' 50 cal. It also comes with a full interior if one is so inclined. Our Abrams show a mix of cross wind sensors and front fender types (with and without the stamped X), and we have plain turret blow off panels, so the RFM kit is perfect here.

Heres some shots of my RFM kit (still to add the corrected inf/tank telephone)

I used the (sadly) now out of production Arms Corps Models Abrams update on my kit. There is some talk of this excellent company starting up limited production in the future.

For those interested, we have a group on Facebook dedicated to Australian Abrams builds and research:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/424456964597244/

Cheers

Sam

Sam, while I GREATLY appreciate your counsel here, and especially the photos showing your build, I'm still frustrated about the fact that it does not appear as if any of the aftermarket sets are available. Well, not all. The Mouse House MA302 and MA317 DO show available at Mouse House.

Michael Walsh, do you know if the MA317 set includes the items that Sam Dwyer shows on his tank, such as the umbrella holder, etc.? I'm just trying to weigh the benefits of going one way or the other, between your suggestion, Gino's and Sam's. I haven't yet checked out Sam's FaceBook page for any recommendations there, though.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hello Curt,

I missed the umbrella holder in my earlier comment. I did take the step of scratchbuilding the umbrella holder out of plastic card and metal rod.

The Dragon sep is way overpriced, good luck to finding one of them and an upgrade set to suit.

As Mentioned earlier the Meng Variant is a good donar kit.
Looking at Sam Dwyers kit I would say the Ryefield kit and Meng kit look identical.
Without having the 2 kits side by side to compare pro's and cons I was not WRONG in my choice.

Meng kit $60, aftermarket metal barrel and mouse house detail sets $40
Blogging it here as well
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/273932

Michael

Removed by original poster on 02/27/19 - 15:15:06 (GMT).
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC
Go with the RFM kit or Dragon 3536/3556. The Meng kit while nice and is of a Tamiya quality, lacks a lot of the finer detail that the other 2 have. The Dragon and RFM kits are a very close match to each other. Pricy yes, but well worth it in the long run and a lot more accurate.
As for after market parts, there is nothing on the market that you can get for ANY Australian modification to the M1. The Mouse House used fridge is lacking in correct detail. MA317 does not include any part for the M1's. There are some items in the set than can be used of stowage, but most of these parts are stowed in the turret side bins. Nothing is stowed on the blow off panels.
As for the Fox Models set, save your money. There is nothing in that kit worth buying and there are no modified parts or stowage for the Australian M1. And I stand by my statement on the piracy issue of the decals. To similar, on not just this set, but others as well.
My kit will be back on the market as soon as I get some issues sorted out. All parts have been reworked and the masters 3D printed. Click on the link below to see some of the parts.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Uv0ksxl
sam_dwyer
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Curt,

I missed the umbrella holder in my earlier comment. I did take the step of scratchbuilding the umbrella holder out of plastic card and metal rod.

The Dragon sep is way overpriced, good luck to finding one of them and an upgrade set to suit.

As Mentioned earlier the Meng Variant is a good donar kit.
Looking at Sam Dwyers kit I would say the Ryefield kit and Meng kit look identical.
Without having the 2 kits side by side to compare pro's and cons I was not WRONG in my choice.

Meng kit $60, aftermarket metal barrel and mouse house detail sets $40
Blogging it here as well
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/273932

Michael

Sorry Mike - didnt mean to imply you were wrong as such - just IMHO the RFM kit is streets ahead of the other options - except in price. If they did one without the interior and at a cheaper price, it'd be the best.

Cheers

SD
Removed by original poster on 03/01/19 - 02:28:44 (GMT).
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go with the RFM kit or Dragon 3536/3556. The Meng kit while nice and is of a Tamiya quality, lacks a lot of the finer detail that the other 2 have. The Dragon and RFM kits are a very close match to each other. Pricy yes, but well worth it in the long run and a lot more accurate.
As for after market parts, there is nothing on the market that you can get for ANY Australian modification to the M1. The Mouse House used fridge is lacking in correct detail. MA317 does not include any part for the M1's. There are some items in the set than can be used of stowage, but most of these parts are stowed in the turret side bins. Nothing is stowed on the blow off panels.
As for the Fox Models set, save your money. There is nothing in that kit worth buying and there are no modified parts or stowage for the Australian M1. And I stand by my statement on the piracy issue of the decals. To similar, on not just this set, but others as well.
My kit will be back on the market as soon as I get some issues sorted out. All parts have been reworked and the masters 3D printed. Click on the link below to see some of the parts.

So, Jason, sounds like if I get another Rye Field M1A1/A2 (a kit I have and am already building for another reason), or if I use one of my Dragon M1A2 SEP (3536) or M1A2 SEP V2 (3556) kits, (I have 2 of each of those) and I wait for your new parts to be available, I'll be able to build a truly accurate Aussie M1A1 SA? What do you think your time frame is, with respect to availability?
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC

No Worries Sam all good.

[/quote]

Sorry Mike - didnt mean to imply you were wrong as such - just IMHO the RFM kit is streets ahead of the other options - except in price. If they did one without the interior and at a cheaper price, it'd be the best.

Cheers

SD[/quote]
MrNeil
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2019 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking forward to the re-release, Jason. Your set is the best out there for an Aussie M1.

N
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 08:40 AM UTC
Well, I did get the Tankograd publication about the Australian M1A1, and it really IS a great book, tons of pictures for detailing my to-be-built Aussie tank! I ordered two of the Meng TS-032 models ( the USMC M1A1 tank) and will be ordering another Rye Field RM-5007 M1A1/M1A2, and I have two Dragon M1A2 SEP models, so I’ll have the ‘correct’ kit to use as a base for an Australian Abrams, (whichever model I want to use), after I get Jason’s forthcoming aftermarket set! I’m going to use the first of the Meng ones for my USMC totally beaten tank, and we’ll see whether the other is used for this or something else.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My kit will be back on the market as soon as I get some issues sorted out.

About time Jas. Put me down for one. Been trolling evilbay, etc, praying for a beneficial PX, in the hope of jagging one.
 _GOTOTOP