_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Meng: M4A3 Sherman from MENG
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 01:02 AM UTC

MENG announced their first Sherman in 1/35 scale. Check it out!

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 01:20 AM UTC

Boring! Another Sherman. Why....
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC
If an interior were to follow....
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 02:04 AM UTC

The Sherman world needs a large hatch M4A1, not another A3.
Dan
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 02:15 AM UTC
Bring them on!!! Any and all versions welcome.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 04:32 AM UTC
It's a good market move for Meng. We know these will sell if they are better than Dragon's offerings at more affordable price. Shermanholics will be all over it.

Booo, they missed that one casting number. Just kidding.
I'll probably buy one. Looking forward to it!
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 05:01 AM UTC
I will be surprised if this is the only Sherman they release.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 05:08 AM UTC
Only Italeri, Dragon and Asuka/Tasca make this type of Sherman.

But the Dragon is getting hard to find, the Italeri is from the 1980s and the Asuka requires a second mortgage.

There are more Kursk Panther D than this, tons of Tigers, whole prides of Panthers and Pzkpfw IV G/H. (Five -six different kits)

And Asuka's kit makes no money for Meng. So why the heck not?

Only two companies make loads of Shermans. Everybody and their brother makes a Tiger. (Academy, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Dragon, RFM, Zvezda, Italeri)

How many companies make a Sherman; Tamiya, Academy, Asuka, Dragon, Italeri. But only one variant or another as opposed to everyone out doing themselves with ever more variants.

When a model company doing Sherman's get as obscure as a single company as used by Gruppe Fehrman maybe there'll be enough Sherman's-- like Pakistan M4A1E6 1965? Or actually differentiate between the versions of Israeli M51?

Now if only I hadn't just gotten another kit of this specific variant--

With 50,000 Sherman's produced versus 3000 Tigers? If there were seven times as many Sherman kits as there are Tiger kits then it still wouldn't be be too many.

Maybe 16 times as many ---
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 06:43 AM UTC
I agree with Stephen. The other kits currently (un)available had varying issues as well. The M4 has generally been treated with less care by manufacturers than German subjects. Even Asuka, which is considered the standard, has had issues with details, sink marks and tooling marks on the kits I have purchased. Only Italeri ever offered a gun breech. I hope Meng (and Rye Field with their indicated kit) offer the level of detail that has been seen in their recent releases.

I would expect that they will follow with other variants, like they have with their other series. There is a lot to offer and the market is big enough to support the interest. Just have to wait and see what comes out.
graeme838
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 09:11 AM UTC
Most of the modelling world doesn't know the difference...a Sherman is a Sherman, and that's what will make money for Meng
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But the Dragon is getting hard to find, the Italeri is from the 1980s and the Asuka requires a second mortgage.
--
How many companies make a Sherman; Tamiya, Academy, Asuka, Dragon, Italeri.

With 50,000 Sherman's produced versus 3000 Tigers? If there were seven times as many Sherman kits as there are Tiger kits then it still wouldn't be be too many.

Well said, Stephen! So funny. I don't even consider Italeri in that pile of producers b/c it is so outdated.
Meng, we love you!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan

I agree we can use a good 76mm M4A1, but I have a fondness for the large hull hatch M4A3's.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are more Kursk Panther D than this, tons of Tigers, whole prides of Panthers and Pzkpfw IV G/H. (Five -six different kits)

Only two companies make loads of Shermans. Everybody and their brother makes a Tiger. (Academy, Tamiya, Trumpeter, Dragon, RFM, Zvezda, Italeri)

How many companies make a Sherman; Tamiya, Academy, Asuka, Dragon, Italeri. But only one variant or another as opposed to everyone out doing themselves with ever more variants.

When a model company doing Sherman's get as obscure as a single company as used by Gruppe Fehrman maybe there'll be enough Sherman's-- like Pakistan M4A1E6 1965? Or actually differentiate between the versions of Israeli M51?

Well said, but if they go IDF, M50 please (PLEASE)! All we need is a nice turret and there are many versions to do.

I almost expect to see a Sherman from Takom being announced soon!
multibank17pdr
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 06:17 PM UTC

A lot of very clever comments already... and another Sherman -and not only 1/35-is always of interest. But Tasca/Asuka did very good in the past, I've more that twenty boxes from them and none of the problems encountered by Russ (maybe minor flash on some of the last Asuka rebox)... Also, Tasca are a joy to build very close to Tamiya philosophy, not the kind of easiness seen with the Meng's kits I've dealt with. And with 1190 parts announced, I can't imagine there is no interior in this Meng M4A3... otherwise it seems logical all these parts will go for boogie and tracks ? Then, not sure I am interested
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of the modelling world doesn't know the difference...a Sherman is a Sherman, and that's what will make money for Meng

Hi, Graeme, and Everyone Else!

You're right to some extent, but "a Sherman IS NOT a Sherman", to most of "us", that is... There were many more different types and configurations of Shermans than there were of Panthers, Tigers AND T-34s, COMBINED. The relatively modest numbers of the buyers of these "specialized" types of kits, as the many different types of Shermans, Tigers, Panthers and T-34s are, KNOW what they are spending their money on, otherwise there wouldn't be so many different kits of each type on the market today. "We" are a pretty small niche in the model building community; the buyers of specialized model aircraft kits outnumber "our" segment of the market, (I'm one of those aircraft-guys, myself), and cars, STAR WARS and all of the other stuff? The numbers are astronomical, in comparison to "our" niche in the market. BUT!!! The model companies all know that "WE" spend A LOT of money on "our" "addictions", otherwise, they wouldn't more or less cater to "our" interests...

My hope is that MENG will follow suit to their Panthers, Tigers, etc, and actually go on to produce not only the M4A3 VVSS 76mm (wet) 47-degree Hull Sherman kits, but ALL of the later E8 types, AND the earlier 56-degree (dry) Hull M4 and M4A1 75mm Shermans as well. There were, of course, the Early, Mid and Late-production types of these Shermans. Think of all those POSIBILITIES! Then, there are the 105mm Howitzer types, the 75mm and 76mm "Jumbos", PLUS the British Shermans in all of their different permutations. Now, take into consideration the M32 ARVs- These were built in the WELDED and CAST Hull types, in BOTH the 56-degree Hull and 47-degree Hull configurations...

More than likely, it will be quite some time before "we" actually see so many different Shermans from MENG, if AT ALL- WWII US and Allied fans should notice how MINIART are dragging their feet in supplying "us" with their US and British M3 Lees and Grants, yes..? "We" MAY or MAY NOT ever see these kits in our lifetimes...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Boring! Another Sherman. Why....

Because ANOTHER Tiger and/or Panther IS BORING to Sherman fans, THAT'S WHY!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan

Yes, and we can also use ALL-NEW kits of the early 56-degree WELDED Hull (dry) small Hatch M4s and 56-degree (dry) CAST Hull M4A1s... Many of these saw service until VE AND VJ Days...

PS- What's wrong with having "another" A3? How many "different" (HA!) "Fehrman" and "Wittmann" Tigers have been produced so far..? How many "different Panther Ds, As and Gs..? With or without Zimmerit..? With or without Interiors..? But THAT'S OK, right? All of those kits of Pz.IIIs, Pz.IVs, Pz.38(t)s AND ALL of those vehicles that used the aforementioned vehicles' Chassis..? That's OK TOO, right? Sd.Kfz. 10s and 251s and all of THEIR versions, TOO, right? RIGHT??? And, just for lagniappe, POINTING GERMANS... I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it at that...

PPS- HOW ABOUT A PROPER 75mm M8 HMC (Howitzer Motor Carriage) WHILE WE'RE AT IT??? THERE! I've said it AGAIN! If any of you guys don't like it, TOO BAD!!!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 12:51 AM UTC
Miniart 's Lee/Grant's are delayed because they're stymied over how to increase the parts count.

And they keep finding another obscure engineering vehicle to do.

Couldn't resist.

Is it me or has anyone noticed that with the recent rush of Panthers, Academy chose the one variant not done by others (last production) and now Meng is going for a Sherman not done by Academy or Tamiya (though it would be a natural with their 76mm turret and M4A3 or are they working up to it -- M10 new VVSS, E8 new M4A3 hull-- )

And we have a recent big hatch M4A1 -- the Tamiya. You have to replace everything but a Dragon suspension fits and an Academy M4A3 has all the detail bits as spare parts. Isn't it strange that Academy put all the 50 caliber clips as spares on their suspension sprues?

Wild stuff even for us on a budget.

And based on how Meng marketed their Tiger II -- a Sherman would fill a niche as a Sherman kit alternative for those on a budget.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 03:10 AM UTC
Sometimes you guys are SO BORING!

It's a fabulous-looking kit from a top maker. If it's not your cup of tea (it isn't mine), then just DON'T BUY IT. But lots of folks will be happy with THIS PARTICULAR KIT, so can we stop belly-aching about it being X and not Y? Sheesh.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes you guys are SO BORING!

It's a fabulous-looking kit from a top maker. If it's not your cup of tea (it isn't mine), then just DON'T BUY IT. But lots of folks will be happy with THIS PARTICULAR KIT, so can we stop belly-aching about it being X and not Y? Sheesh.

Hi, Bill!

I can appreciate your lack of enthusiasm for this new Sherman kit; I am sick and tired of the ENDLESS Tigers and Panthers, in case you haven't noticed...

If you check out the other "Sherman threads" going on here at ARMORAMA, The Modelling News, Track Link, etc, I think that you WILL find that Sherman-modelers AKA "Shermaholics", DO in fact, prefer "X" over "Y" versions of our little M4-series Mediums, as you "PANZER-CLIQUE" guys do with your "Pz.Kpfw.-whatevers", so "Sheesh" to YOU, too!!!

PS- You "Panzer-Clique" guys are OHHH, SO BORING!
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 09:59 AM UTC
Well I am sure Meng will milk this mold for all it's worth. What would be really interesting is an international series like the Indian variant with French 75-50 or Russian D 85 gun, the Paraguyan w/ Argentinian French 105mm, the retrofitted Yugoslavian 76mm on M3 chassis (looks similar to a Firefly) etc.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 11:59 AM UTC
Meng has offered some different subjects so I think there would be a pretty good chance of that. I'll hold off on bringing up a wish list and just wait to see what develops. I wonder how much longer it will be before we see more information on the kit? It seems to have accelerated Rye Field's M4 project.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 12:15 PM UTC
Personally I have little interest here but am still happy that the kit was released as it gives the Sherman fans something to cheer about while I quietly go about detailing my Takom King Tiger, etc. It's all about having fun with plastic. Cheers!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Re: The Tiger IIs, don't forget REVELL and ICM...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan

Yes, but if you have deep pockets you cab scavenge a TAMIYA Israeli "big hatch" A1 Hull to build that version... I know, I'm not being helpful. As I've said before, (a BAZILLION times), I'd like to see EVERY MAJOR Sherman-type in all-new tooling. It may take another 20 years or so. but let's wait and see what develops...
 _GOTOTOP