_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Academy Hellcat
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 12:47 AM UTC
Something I started over 15 years ago, received as a gift and shelved when I lost interest. I thought it would be a good idea to clean up or part out all my shelf queens, and this one got the nod to finish. Interior was mostly done from before, so I left it as is, OOB, and tried to concentrate on the exterior. MArkings are scrounged, to represent "another tank in the same unit" as the often pictured tank in the Concord "TDs in Action" book.
IMG_4268 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4267 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4269 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4270 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4271 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4272 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 02:42 AM UTC
Excellent work!! very cool
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hello, Russell, or do you like Russ?

VERY NICE!!! I'm glad that you didn't over-do the weathering!

(Off topic): I only wish that some model manufacturer would start out with a "clean slate" and bring the M18 into the 21st Century, in 1/35th scale, of course... 'Nuff said...
Chepster
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 05:35 AM UTC
The suitcase is a very cool but of stowage.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 06:59 AM UTC
Fine job of weathering! Has that used & lived-in look, and yeah, the suitcase is definitely cool. Got any photos of the fighting compartment?
canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
Russ, your Hellcat looks great, and the markings, dust effects and stowage (love the suitcase!) are very effective, but you might want to shorten the tracks by a couple of links on each side - since the M18 had live tracks, there was no track sag.

Jerry
andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 08:28 AM UTC
Came out real nice, I like the weathering. I have the same kit after seeing yours I think i will start it soon.
Andy
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 10:50 AM UTC
Thanks all.
I agree, the Academy kit is "vintage", but it was a gift from my wife, so I did my best. The major mod was to adjust the ride height a little lower to give it a better stance. It's nearly OOB aside from that.
The suitcase is a Historex item, from a "Western US" set.
Re the tracks: actually, it's a "dead" link, with a compensating idler, but should appear tight, agreed. Problem is, with even ONE link out, the tracks are simply too short.
Here's a lousy pic of the fighting compartment, but it's OOB...
IMG_4369 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ, your Hellcat looks great, and the markings, dust effects and stowage (love the suitcase!) are very effective, but you might want to shorten the tracks by a couple of links on each side - since the M18 had live tracks, there was no track sag.

Jerry

Hello Again, Everyone!

Wellll, not quite, Jerry... Even with "Live Tracks", there will be just a barely-discernible amount of "Track-sag", due to the Tracks' great weight. However, I did notice the "Track-sag", which I thought was just a bit too much for a US Tracked armored vehicle. I didn't say anything earlier because I didn't want to offend anyone. US "Live-Tracks", according to US Tech Manuals stipulate that the Tracks should be adjusted to length as tightly as possible, without binding any of the Road-Wheels, Return Rollers, Rear Idlers, the Drive Sprockets, or pertinent Suspension Components. Too tight an adjustment can and will wreak havoc...

One or two links, or at the very most, three links taken out of each "Track-run" should do the trick IMO, unless it's already too late to do so...

Didn't mean to sound like a "fuss-pot"...
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 01:07 PM UTC
No worries here Dennis, but as I slid in earlier, even ONE link out makes the track too tight to fit, and the position of the idlers was set in stone when I first started this kit around 15 years ago. Yup, it was a serious shelf queen. I consigned this one to the bottom the of the stash for a lot of reasons, one being the fit of the tracks. Honestly though, that's always a problem with using Friuls for vehicles that run tight tracks. I'll live with it.
BTW, I'll answer to pretty much any derivative of Russel, I'm easy that way.
canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Re the tracks: actually, it's a "dead" link, with a compensating idler, but should appear tight, agreed.

Hi Dennis and Russ,

I stand corrected - since all other tracked U.S. AFVs (not halftracks) in WWII had live tracks, and since I had never seen a picture of an M18 with track sag, I assumed that was the case here, too. Thanks, guys, I learned something new today.

I guess the tech manuals instructed M18 crews to keep the tracks as tight as possible because of the high speeds it could reach on roads (50 mph IIRC) - at those speeds, it would be easy to throw one.

Anyway, Russ, bummer you can‘t adjust the tracks, but you did a great job on this old kit!

Jerry
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 11:50 PM UTC
Russel, great work on the old kit! Really like the weathering.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi, Russell!

Thanks for that, and sorry that I wasn't much help to you... She's still a very nice build, even though she was a "Hangar Queen"!

rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 05:57 AM UTC
Thomas, thank you.
Dennis, no worries at all. Believe me, I fretted over it for a while, then decided to just build it, concentrating on the rest of it.
 _GOTOTOP