_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Academy: M10 USSR
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 07:46 AM UTC

Cody Kwok Continues to use his dizzying speed build reviews with the Academy M10 USSR (Lend-Lease) 1/35th scale.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 10:44 AM UTC
Cody,
Thanks for the review! I agree with you that it may be a strange choice for Academy to box but at the very least it does give Shermaholics another option. While it may not be a pure Sherman at least it is a close cousin!!

Thanks again, I know how much commitment reviews can take at times.

Cheers,
Rick Cooper
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 05:11 PM UTC
You're very welcome, I enjoy the build review process and I hope builders may find them useful. Academy's M10 seems to have gone under the radar as they've messed up the turret in the first versions and a lot of people don't know they've improved it.

I'm trying to finish painting the kit for a feature, in the process I realized the box art was already trying to pose the master box figures with their original pose. It works pretty well, perhaps with minor modifications to a couple of arms to make poses more natural.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 11:39 PM UTC
I agree with Rick, thanks for the review. I had picked up the kit a bit ago and not started yet. I grabbed the Def set for the M10 as it was cheap for the barrel.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/defmodel-dm35041-us-m10-3inch-gun-metal-barrel-w-mantlet-set-academy--935631

Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 05:06 AM UTC
I've always enjoyed building Academy kits seeing them as great value for the product and while I agree that they aren't Tamiya-like in terms of perfect parts fit I've become adept enough to manage in spite of that and the extra level of detail is a nice compromise. I rather like that more "Lend-Lease" gear is seeing the light of day as it shows part of history that many simply know next to nothing about. The Russian public, for example, aren't told about this crucial program in their school texts or history books and revealing it, if only through such kits, remedies that deliberate oversight on the part of the Russian Government.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 07:15 AM UTC
The DEF set looks like a great value. Normally I don't care much for metal barrels, but I didn't mention this kit has not just the halves to deal with, but the muzzle is a separate piece. I thought it was supposed to be that way, but I was wrong.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 03:33 AM UTC
I like the kit. I always find it interesting to do U.S. lend-lease vehicles in Soviet service. Allows for some variety in the display case. Thanks for a great review.
 _GOTOTOP