_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M10 Tank Destroyer, 1/72 scale
Guddha999
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm at the final stages with my M10 from Unimodel (UM). Weathering is mostly done, and since this is a wargaming piece, I'm mounting it on a base and including a full complement of turret crew. The stowage will be secured, using some rope coloured EZ Line, and I'm finishing off with some graphite on the sprocket teeth and the gun breech. As for a specific unit, historically speaking, I'm aware that I'm way off base here...

Comments are more than welcome!

Cheers,
Gustav

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 09:28 AM UTC
Gustav,
Thanks for posting this. Unimodel (UM) makes some great stuff in braille scale, and you’ve done a wonderful job with this M10. I’ve built a couple of their Sherman kits, and I’m impressed by the detail, but I’m wondering about the accessories on your M10– did they come with the kit? Also, where is your crew coming from? I’ve looked all over for 1/72 tank crew.
VR, Russ
Guddha999
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gustav,
Thanks for posting this. Unimodel (UM) makes some great stuff in braille scale, and you’ve done a wonderful job with this M10. I’ve built a couple of their Sherman kits, and I’m impressed by the detail, but I’m wondering about the accessories on your M10– did they come with the kit? Also, where is your crew coming from? I’ve looked all over for 1/72 tank crew.
VR, Russ

Thanks for the kind words! The stowage is a mix of Value Gear,
Academy, Milicast, SHQ, CMK and Calibre72. There are also a few modifications on the vehicle itself - the tracks, drive sprockets, .50 cal MG, and transmission bolt strips are all from a Dragon Sherman kit, while the barrel is from RB. Finally, the crew (which are almost done) are from AB Figures - my one and only "go to" for crew and infantry... I will post some more images in a day or two...

Cheers,
Gustav
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 10:15 AM UTC
Nicely done Gustav. I find painting monotone vehicles difficult but you've accomplished it very well. Do you have painting WIP pictures? I'm curious on how you accomplished your finish.
-Joseph
Guddha999
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nicely done Gustav. I find painting monotone vehicles difficult but you've accomplished it very well. Do you have painting WIP pictures? I'm curious on how you accomplished your finish.
-Joseph

Thanks! I'm afraid I'm terrible at taking pictures mid-process...
To try and explain it instead, I use mainly oils for weathering, but start off with a restrained pattern of light and dark chips and scratches with Vallejo MC acrylics. Those are the only opaque elements, as everything following has some level of transparency. In that way, I merely tint or slightly obscure the prior layers, and slowly build up colour variety and effects. I'm quite new to this, so I mostly just cherry pick whatever methods and techniques that I've seen used by others...

Cheers,
Gustav
 _GOTOTOP