_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Honey kit bash
IronLady
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hey y'all! I would like to build a M3 Honey and I don't have the Academy's kit. I do have both Tamiya and Airfix new M3 kits and I read that you can kit bash the two and get a Honey. First is this true and second what parts from the two kits would I need? I understand I would need the lower hull from Tamiya and the turret from Airfix(if I read it right). Thanks for the help.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey y'all! I would like to build a M3 Honey and I don't have the Academy's kit. I do have both Tamiya and Airfix new M3 kits and I read that you can kit bash the two and get a Honey. First is this true and second what parts from the two kits would I need? I understand I would need the lower hull from Tamiya and the turret from Airfix(if I read it right). Thanks for the help.

The Airfix M3 and the Academy M3 are the same kit. The Academy kit had a couple of flaws: the sponson on either side of the turret was too deep at its lower edge (allowing a better gluing surface for the sand shields), and the sit of the suspension was too high, being based on a gutted (and therefore too light) museum example.

Either the old or new Tamiya M3 kits could rectify the suspension problem, and a British Honey would have side skirts which conceal the sponson extension, so it isn't an issue.

Any photoetch set for the new Tamiya kit will give you the raised screen for the engine deck, as well as the headlight guards and the tie downs and strapping for the tools.
IronLady
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 04:16 PM UTC
So I could use the Tamiya's kit with the Airfix's sand shields and turret?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So I could use the Tamiya's kit with the Airfix's sand shields and turret?

Tamiya's kit has the M3A1 turret ring (with beveled rather than vertical edges) and the later driver's plate with Protectoscopes rather than armor glass vision slots. You cold use Academy's front plate, but backdating the Tamiya turret ring would be a lot of work. I'd just use the Academy upper hull and turret. With sand shields installed, the extra length on the bottom edges of the sponsons is not visible. Use Tamiya's engine deck screen if you opt for plastic rather than etch, as Academy's is the wrong shape.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 02:46 PM UTC
For ultra accuracy, the Academy/Airfix Honey kit's turret and turret ring are too narrow. It was pentographed from the equally inaccurate old 1970s Tamiya M3 kit.

Tiger Model Designs made upgrades -- new turret, new body roof, I believe.

Only very picky people would notice however. Feel free to ignore this completely.
 _GOTOTOP