_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Trumpeter: 2020/2021 Catalogue
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 10:48 PM UTC

Trumpeter & Hobby Boss present their catalogue for the next season, with many interesting new kits... see them here!

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 11:25 PM UTC
Topol-M .....
Good thing that Trumpeter isn't afraid of big boxes of styrene
Lots of interesting stuff to look forward to.

/ Robin
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 11:36 PM UTC
Yeah, that one will be HUGE...along with a huge price tag too I’m afraid!

RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, that one will be HUGE...along with a huge price tag too I’m afraid!

It's all a matter of dollars per pound of plastic
Compare the amount of building joy with a Trumpeter kit of an average tank and then compare the prices.
The big problem is where to display it once it is finished ....
It has eight axles instead of the four axles of the MAZ-537 so roughly twice as long as the Scud-B on MAZ-543 or somehwere around 5 to 6 inches longer than a MAZ-537 with ChMZAP trailer which would exceed the width of my display cabinet. Maybe if I park it diagonally on the shelf ...

Problems are there to be solved, or something ...

/ Robin

Edit: It would be interesting to know the actual length of the Topol mobile launcher
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 12:37 AM UTC
According to the Wikipedia (where else...) it is 22,70m which means "only" 65cm at 1/35, their Morser Karl-Gerat 040/041 on railway transport carrier is 84cm. Add a locomotive if you still have room
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

According to the Wikipedia (where else...) it is 22,70m which means "only" 65cm at 1/35, their Morser Karl-Gerat 040/041 on railway transport carrier is 84cm. Add a locomotive if you still have room

That's the length of the missile, I presume that the container would be slightly larger so maybe we will hit 70 cm in total which might just barely fit diagonally in my cabinet.

/ Robin
StarForce
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 12:44 AM UTC
Their Leopold kit is actually longer than that, it clocks at aproximately 1m, so there you go. Probably will be in the same price range.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Their Leopold kit is actually longer than that, it clocks at aproximately 1m, so there you go. Probably will be in the same price range.

Thanks! I managed to completely forget about their Leopold
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 01:23 AM UTC
Going to have to live through someone else's Topol-M build. Currently building a bookcase for my books and models, don't think I'll have a shelf wide enough to even put it in diagonally.

Lots of cool releases though, a good mix of big ugly Russian trucks and WWII subjects, my favorite things.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 02:04 AM UTC
The Famo's and the L4500's...stash material!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 02:32 AM UTC
That figures. Trumpeter announces an M920 MET and M870A1 trailer after I just gathered all the parts to build one. However, based on their previous new kit announcement to actual release time, it will be years before the kit comes out. So I still have plenty of time to build mine.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, based on their previous new kit announcement to actual release time, it will be years before the kit comes out.

The two Sd.Kfz.9 kits are still just line drawings, soooo.....

And I want to say what a TERRIBLE marketing tool. You have to wade through pages and pages of tiny images until you find something with a "new" flag to one side. Not the best way to let the world know about your new products!
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

However, based on their previous new kit announcement to actual release time, it will be years before the kit comes out.

The two Sd.Kfz.9 kits are still just line drawings, soooo.....

And I want to say what a TERRIBLE marketing tool. You have to wade through pages and pages of tiny images until you find something with a "new" flag to one side. Not the best way to let the world know about your new products!

Still waiting for the Elefant (SLT 50-3) but as long as it is still in the catalogue .....

Marketing tool: Yes and no, the tiny images on the catalogue pages teases the curiosity and some of us check each page in the hope of finding a "jewel" in there. Sort of similar to checking out flea markets or stash sales, lots of uninteresting stuff BUT there just possibly might be something really interesting at the bottom of the pile of old kits.
Trumpeter has established a fairly solid reputation for bringing unexpected kits to the market.
If someone had suggested even half of the kits in their current catalogue 10-15 years ago the reaction would have been: "Get real you fool, aint gonna happen, stop dreaming".
Knowing this the curious will check those tiny images, too curious to wait for the "real" announcements to come during the year.
Still waiting for that SLT 50-3 .....
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 03:47 AM UTC
I made a Leopold fit my shelves. I will make my Hobby Boss German coastal u-boat, Italeri S-100 patrol boat, BR-52 locomotive, and FAMO with tank trailer fit as well.

Size is relative. If you really want it you will find space.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
An armored MTVR ! Cool.

I have built the Blackdog conversion last year. Can't wait to see this new kit !

Future separate kit for MCTAGS turret would be interesting.

And also waiting for their SLT 50-3.

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC
Trumpeter may be the go-to for modern or Cold War Russian stuff, but "that's not my period" as they say. I'm interested in the Sdkfz9 with Bilstein crane though. On the subject of shelving, how many yards of shelf would you need for a 1/35th armoured train using a selection of their kits?
JamesL27
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the subject of shelving, how many yards of shelf would you need for a 1/35th armoured train using a selection of their kits?

I haven't explored the German armored trains much, but I ran some numbers on some Russian armored trains that I'd like to build one day (scratch and maybe kitbashing), easily 5-6 feet. And the German trains tended to be longer... Even my MBV-2 with AA car build is almost 3 feet long when including the base.

Quoted Text

I made a Leopold fit my shelves. I will make my Hobby Boss German coastal u-boat, Italeri S-100 patrol boat, BR-52 locomotive, and FAMO with tank trailer fit as well.

Size is relative. If you really want it you will find space.

My main issues are dust, and trying to keep my collection contained. Basement gets very dusty, and I want to keep from growing out into the living room and bedroom. Oh well, house is in a constant state of renovations and reorganizing so something will work out eventually.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 08:35 AM UTC
Dust, spiders, and in my case--cat hair.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 10:28 AM UTC
The new MTVR is the highlight of the releases for me. About time they released a new variant, hope that means more will come.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 03:28 PM UTC
I see the lack of Fast Attack Vehicles and Special Forces Vehicles, topics often neglected year after year...
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 08:06 PM UTC
I'm happy to see the Jackal (both1 & 2) and Coyote make it to 1/35! I am hoping for a "Warthog"
pria2022
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 - 09:54 PM UTC
Absolutely stunning, amazing news about the 1/35th Topol!! I also hope they eventually produce the new upgraded version-the SS-29. Hopefully they'll also do a 1/35th Pershing II as well!!
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The new MTVR is the highlight of the releases for me. About time they released a new variant, hope that means more will come.

A new version every seven years, patience, patience !

But this one was very expected, thanks Trumpeter.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Going by the fact each page has crop and registration marks it was clearly designed for print production and falls in line with what is usually produced for this purpose, as a catalogue of products. Unlikely to be their only effort at marketing their products. As for having to wade through the catalogue maybe that's intentional to remind readers of the many subjects they manufacturer and may have either forgotten our didn't realise they produced.

The images are small but given the number of subjects I'm guessing it was a requirement so as to fit them all in. Not that tiny when I'm viewing them but I'm looking via a decent sized screen not squinting with a laptop or tablet, and as I said it's obviously created for print production.

When viewed as a whole it's amazing the amount of subjects they have produced, I don't know of any other manufacturer so prolific in recent times.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 08:20 AM UTC
I quickly noticed that most of the catalogue's offerings are kits that literally go back to the company's first releases; there's nothing wrong with that it's just that there are actually fewer new kits than I would have liked. That being said I am pleased to see a good selection of much-anticipated kits including three different FAMO versions and even more of the LS4500A trucks. Going to have to start thinking of good justification lines...
 _GOTOTOP