_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
1/35 Sherman kit tweaks list. Please comment
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 05:43 AM UTC
I’ve created a tweaks list of several common 1/35 Sherman model kits. Please have a look:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EO4RStD1Buq4R8_1mlLoo8Iwi4ikyjHMGcDsS0_grYM/edit?usp=sharing

Please review and make comments. Or even suggest additional Sherman kit tweaks. Once you do, I'll see if I can add your suggestions.

Roy Chow

01 Jan 2020

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Roy,

Good to see you added my mantlet and counterweight comments to the RFM section, but surprised you aren't adding the link to the review.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 08:27 AM UTC
A note should be added that Tasca's M4A1 (76) W kit is not accurate for an Operation Cobra build. The parts need for this build would be:

-TMD T-23 Turreet
-TMD Split Pin Hatch
-Leave off ventilator cover on the hull in-between the driver and co-driver's hatches
-Cast texture needs to be added to the hull
-The exhaust deflector is simplified and can benefit from being replaced by the TMD offering
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A note should be added that Tasca's M4A1 (76) W kit is not accurate for an Operation Cobra build. The parts need for this build would be:

-TMD T-23 Turreet
-TMD Split Pin Hatch
-Leave off ventilator cover on the hull in-between the driver and co-driver's hatches
-The exhaust deflector is simplified and can benefit from being replaced by the TMD offering

Why?

> That's not one of the kits he mentions, so why would he add a note out of nowhere about a kit not on the list?

> The list only covers specific technical details, not tailoring the model to be suitable for a particular battle or unit.

> The kit is not marketed or claimed by Asuka to be a COBRA tank, so what is the need to note that it is not a COBRA tank? It's not accurate for North Africa or Tarawa, either, should he note that, too?

???

KL
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2020 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

-TMD T-23 Turreet
-TMD Split Pin Hatch

Why?

> That's not one of the kits he mentions, so why would he add a note out of nowhere about a kit not on the list?

> The list only covers specific technical details, not tailoring the model to be suitable for a particular battle or unit.

> The kit is not marketed or claimed by Asuka to be a COBRA tank, so what is the need to note that it is not a COBRA tank? It's not accurate for North Africa or Tarawa, either, should he note that, too?

???

KL

Not this again. If someone wants to build an OC vehicle, the Asuka kit is the best place to start. However, they will need to make some modifications for it to be accurate. All I'm suggesting is that the information be added for reference. I am not claiming that there is anything wrong with the kit itself (except the lack of cast texture, but that's an easy fix).

I think most of the confusion around this kit comes from the box art, because it's depicted with a camo scheme commonly associated with OC. But that's neither here nor there.

As for your other comments, I think it would be helpful to have notes recommending fixes to depict certain Sherman's from other battlefront's, such as Iwo Jima. Perhaps as an appendix?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

-TMD T-23 Turreet
-TMD Split Pin Hatch

Why?

???

KL

Not this again. If someone wants to build an OC vehicle, the Asuka kit is the best place to start. However, they will need to make some modifications for it to be accurate. All I'm suggesting is that the information be added for reference. I am not claiming that there is anything wrong with the kit itself (except the lack of cast texture, but that's an easy fix).

I think most of the confusion around this kit comes from the box art, because it's depicted with a camo scheme commonly associated with OC. But that's neither here nor there.

As for your other comments, I think it would be helpful to have notes recommending fixes to depict certain Sherman's from other battlefront's, such as Iwo Jima. Perhaps as an appendix?

Let's boil it down then to just the first point I mentioned:

The Asuka M4A1(76) is not one of the kits on his list.

Adding it just to say what you have to change to make it something else doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

KL
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 - 07:47 AM UTC
The intent of the list is a basic to intermediate to advanced tweaks list for the basic kits, based on what the manufacturer claims the kit to be or for which they provide markings/decals.

How to obtain an Operation Cobra correct M4A1 76W from the Asuka kit is a fine topic for a build article -- but outside the purview of the "tweaks" list as it stands.

However, if anyone has the Asuka M4A1 76W and cares to assemble a list of tweaks to make it more accurate, I'd be happy to consider adding that to the list. Why isn't it already on the list? Because I don't have the kit -- simple really.

I hope to make it useful -- but not the final word on Sherman kit building. That has been done in the old MMIR Sherman softcover book and to a degree, in Jim Wechsler's FSM Sherman book.

Sherman articles continue to be popular (I've written a few) as more of us put our work out for others to enjoy.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2020 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think most of the confusion around this kit comes from the box art, because it's depicted with a camo scheme commonly associated with OC.

A tangent . . .

I've seen this argument before, like when the kit came out. It seems kinda contrived and cobbled together as a hypothetical after-the-fact. To me, if a guy is astute enough about Sherman camo and markings to associate the minute information available from the boxart with a COBRA tank, I have to think he'd know enough about what needs to be changed on the model to make it correct, or where to look.

Likewise, if a modeler didn't know the particulars about the tanks introduced for COBRA, I'm guessing that he wouldn't associate the black stripes with COBRA either. He'd just be happy to build a nice model.

KL
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC
To be honest the kit just needs some minor tweaks to be an Operation Cobra M4a1 76 mm. Most of what is needed is in the box. A few minutes of work and some new decals and you are done. After all the "discussion" in that thread, it boiled down to a few simple changes any basic modeler could do. So including those tweaks as a "by the way" for that kit would be helpful.

1. Drill out the position of the forward radio mount.
2. Place a piece of Plasticard under the hole.
3. Add a disc of plastic to the correct dimension.
4. Add 4 small bolt heads.
5. Using a very thin plastic card, cut out a fillet for the turret roof between the hatches and glue it in.
6. Smooth the edges of the fillet in with Mr. surfacer or thinned putty.
7. Leave off the ventilator cover on the rear of the turret.
8. Use the non-threaded barrel.
9. Lower the spare barrel supports and MG storage mounts.
10. Get proper markings.

This link is a great visual aid.
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html

To be honest the hardest part is finding the proper decals.

Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
Roy,
Thanks for your list. I've put off building Shermans ever since I came back into modeling 20 years ago. There are too many "experts" that will tear you apart if you dare build one for competition. That said, I will build the Monogram/Revell Sherman for the Shep Paine campaign SOOB.
I've downloaded your list for future reference. Just one question, what does TMD stand for?
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 06:18 AM UTC
TMD is Tiger Model Designs

Their website is http://tigermodeldesigns.com/
 _GOTOTOP