_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
sherman questions
praggio
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hello, I have a couple of sherman questions for those who know. Can I use the Asuka m4a1 mid production for Normandy? I have another detail question. I have a spare fold down 50 cal travel lock clip from a later Asuka sherman which goes on the commanders cupola ring. Can I use this piece in place of the earlier type travel clip which seems to be welded standing upright on the cupola ring ? regards, Paul
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello, I have a couple of sherman questions for those who know. Can I use the Asuka m4a1 mid production for Normandy? I have another detail question. I have a spare fold down 50 cal travel lock clip from a later Asuka sherman which goes on the commanders cupola ring. Can I use this piece in place of the earlier type travel clip which seems to be welded standing upright on the cupola ring ? regards, Paul

The answer to your first question is yes. The mid production, with applique, was probably the most common M4A1 version in Normandy. The fold down 50 cal barrel holder is a late feature, so not likely on a mid production M4A1. Are you going to do a US tank or a British tank?
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 09:13 AM UTC
"The fold down 50 cal barrel holder is a late feature, so not likely on a mid production M4A1." It might have been retro fitted.In Aug 43 they started "standardizing" a bunch of fixes .... Applique armor , storage rack on the rear, spot light, etc. I'm not sure if the .50 barrel holder was in the "package Factory phased them in and kits were sent to the field depots. Sooo ..... (I have the Tasca/Asuka SHerman III DV being built as one of the re manufactured ones from 44. ) Best bet is this site ..... http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html ..... and google for period photos. (Steer clear of restored / display vehicles. They can be misleading. Lots of display/memorial ones tend to be retired post war / military aid ones.) Not familiar with the kit you have, but if it doesn't have the applique armor or some of the other "43 upgades" drop me a line and I'll see what I have on the spares from the 7 or 8 Asuka kits I have.
praggio
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hi, many thanks for the answer, I wonder if I could ask one more question regarding periscopes. When the periscope is up it lifts the small cover on the outside of the hatch, and when the periscope is down the cover closes. On the asuka kit if I have the commanders split hatch open but the periscope cover on the outside closed, what would the pericope look like. Is it simply a matter of cutting off the top part of the periscope that would lift the cover plate when the periscope is in use. Basically, when the periscope is not in use and the protective hinged cover is closed, what does the bottom part that the commander looks through look like. I think I have confused myself with the question, but I hope you know what I mean. Kind regards, Paul
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 01:04 AM UTC
The periscope slots into a metal sheath that hangs down under the hatch. If the flap is closed the periscope has been removed (it pushes the flap up when put in place) so you need to model the empty sheath. It is moulded onto the periscope in most kits so you could just cut off the ends and hollow it out a bit. You can find exploded diagrams here but you need to scroll down a long way past all the WoT game waffle.
MAROT79
Visit this Community
Hungary
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hello,

If you mean Asuka/Tasca 35-010, you are not able to build a Normandy tank OOB. A proper Normandy M4A1 needs M34A1 gun mount and appliqué armor on the upper hull and turret.
The folded barrel clamp is also inappropriate for a 75mm M4A1, so you should use the standung one.

Adam
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 04:20 AM UTC
You can fashion the periscope sleeve from .010 Evergreen or brass shim. If you want something close you can use Evergreen rectangular tubing, end thin the end with a file. Add a few details and done.

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC
The periscope could also be withdrawn but left in the sheath and the top cover closed. Simply more of the periscope body would protrude below. I’ve modeled this occasionally for variety
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 02:03 PM UTC
If you need the applique armor and gun shield let me know. I've got spares.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 03:01 PM UTC
All things Sherman-
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/
sideways
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 - 09:27 PM UTC
Not sure if this will work on here, but this is an M4A1 mid, in Normandy with the early manlet.
Admittedly it has cast trans cover though

This tank is a version in the eduard re-boxing of the Tasca/Asuka mid M4A1
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 08:16 AM UTC
The wide-open country (as opposed to hedgerows), the absence of on-vehicle stowage, the full scheme of markings, the nonchalance of the crew, and the dust skirts all suggest a pre-Normandy training photo from the UK.
Most US tanks in Britain received the previously mentioned upgrades before the landings.
However, earlier Shermans were present in the Operation Dragoon landings in August, in Southern France, as those vehicles were transferred directly from the Italian front, and many had the M34 gun mount and no applique armor.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2020 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure if this will work on here, but this is an M4A1 mid, in Normandy with the early manlet.
Admittedly it has cast trans cover though

This tank is a version in the eduard re-boxing of the Tasca/Asuka mid M4A1

This photo is of a Vehicle training in the UK or Northern Irelenad not Normandy. However it would go on to serve there shortly

_GOTOTOP