_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Multi Terrain Pattern Camouflage
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 08:25 AM UTC
I would be interested to know whether anyone has attempted to paint the current British 'MTP' (Multi Terrain Pattern) camouflage on their figures (ideally using Humbrol or Revell paints). I want to try this out on some small-scale (1/72) figures, so I guess the range of colours would be more simplified than on larger scales.

Thanks,

Paul
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 08:46 AM UTC
Paul,

I haven't tried this yet in 1:35 not least as I'm going to experiment with some MTP decals I recently acquired (even if I find them too difficult to use I can always use them as a scale pattern).

However, in 1:72 this could be a bit of a nightmare. The trouble is, from a distance the colours just disappear and the effect is of an overall colour such as say, Humbrol Khaki Drill. I note this as recently as today when driving past Bulford Ranges, which was in use and the distant figures - in other words almost a scale rendition - seemed to me to be monochrome.

Obviously this won't suit most modellers and you'll have to make an attempt at least to replicate some of the constituent colours.

I would therefore suggest that you do in fact first coat the figures in the above colour. Then add very pale green patches. Over this with the finest paintbrush you can find, add cream swirls and dots, then ditto with a medium brown, and that might just about work. I must stress this is just a suggestion and I haven't tried it myself; as I write this I am however, studying my old MTP Smock laid out on the floor in front of me. The effect will inevitably be out of scale to some degree but you will have an effect.

It doesn't help that frequent washing (and fairly poor quality material - never be fooled that the British Army purchases top of the range stuff!) all conspires to make for an extremely faded appearance.

If I was trying this in 1:35 - notwithstanding my purchase of the MTP decals - I'd probably finish a figure off with something like Humbrol's Dust Wash, which is very useful in toning-down colours.

Practice of course - and the acquisition of an example of an MTP uniform - might/will be key here.

Good luck.

Brian
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 506 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 09:15 AM UTC
Paul, not sure if it will be any help but if you wanted, tomorrow or Saturday I can take some pictures of my MTP shirts/trousers and smock and put them up here so you can get a feel for the pattern etc ?
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, not sure if it will be any help but if you wanted, tomorrow or Saturday I can take some pictures of my MTP shirts/trousers and smock and put them up here so you can get a feel for the pattern etc ?

I can’t speak for Paul, but I’d definitely be interested as I have a modern Brit figure (or two) in the stash, and I’d like to attempt MTP. Albeit in 1/16 scale. I’ve done the multicam, so MTP is next.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
I tried doing the pattern in 1/35 but failed to realistically reproduce it. I made my own MTP decals and those work well, but are tedious to apply... braille scale would be far more tricky I guess, but I can provide the artwork if you wish to try it.

Brian, where did you get those 1/35 decals? I didn't think MTP decals were available.

Mario
Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 11:36 AM UTC
Ok no dramas, I will get those pics sorted over the next few days and post them here.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried doing the pattern in 1/35 but failed to realistically reproduce it. I made my own MTP decals and those work well, but are tedious to apply... braille scale would be far more tricky I guess, but I can provide the artwork if you wish to try it.

Brian, where did you get those 1/35 decals? I didn't think MTP decals were available.

Mario

Mario,

I got them from Chris from FFSMC Productions - who I think only sells on eBay; see here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FFSMC-Productions-Decals-1-35-Camo-UK-MTP-Multicam-Pattern-/302235676825

1 x A5 sheet including some very comprehensive instructions comes in at around 15 Euros, which I didn't think was too punishing at all. FFSMC also do other patterns.

As I say, I haven't used them yet (I'm awaiting the production of the Miniart Modern British AFV figures) but I'll certainly try them out. I hope that the relatively uncluttered AFV crew uniforms will provide an easier test than, say, trying to fit them around equipment etc. We'll see!

Brian
Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hi,

I painted US multicam on SF operator, so I guess the British MTP is similar. It can be done, but in 1/35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DK8CLFztPc&t=1966s

Regards!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got them from Chris from FFSMC Productions - who I think only sells on eBay

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I would really like to know your opinion once you used the decals.

I made my own and tried them on a helmet. Here's the result:
link

Mario
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 08:07 PM UTC
I have to say I have several sets of the above decals .. I have tried a small section of decal which is the woodland British cam . My first thought is that what ever colour you use as a base coat ..go lighter .
I used a fairly dull sand as I would normally for British dpm . The decal is translucent so the under colour shows through. So lighter is better .
Terry
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 10:46 PM UTC
This is all useful stuff (though probably not for Paul!) - and I would welcome any further tips on how to use MTP decals, although as I say above, the FFSMC ones do come with clear instructions; there's nothing like first hand experience.

As for Paul's original query: I still major on enamels so have been giving a little thought as to how I'd tackle the pattern in small scale - in addition to my first thoughts above.

Given the very lightness of the colours I think if I was painting in small scale I'd hand-mix from some basic colours, adding white to lighten and to try an achieve the washed-out/faded effect. The colours I would (probably) start with might be (all Humbrol):

72 khaki Drill - as a base colour
78 Cockpit Green - lighten considerably with white
80 Grass Green - to add a touch to the combination of 78 and white if the green doesn't quite come out right

98 Chocolate - for the brown squiggles/dots, nearly impossible to see in small scale perhaps

103 Cream - even this might need to be lightened - again for the squiggles and dots

This is all hypothetical of course so may not stand that much scrutiny but may be of some use in starting (as per Paul's original question).

Thanks in advance for any further tips on decals etc.

Brian

Johnnych01
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 04:49 AM UTC
As promised, some pics for anyone who needs a bit of reference for MTP cam.

Hope these are ok for anyone needing some MTP shots.
As some people said before, viewed from a distance the whole lot pretty much blends into one, and as per pic 3 of the collar lapel, you can see how much it fades after a lot of washing and ironing.
Enjoy .... John
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 06:58 AM UTC
To you all,

Thanks for the informative (and speedy) responses!

It is often a case of compromise when attempting uniform camouflage patterns in small scale ... this being no exception.
I've mastered various others including DPM and desert cam, but MTP is a far more complicated pattern. The other one that will test my skills is the current US Army ACU (fairly straightforward in 1/35 scale, but not so in 1/72).

Paul
alves
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 03:25 PM UTC
A very good "how to"! I saved for me.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 02:55 AM UTC
If painting camo; the smaller the scale the higher the contrast you have to keep between colors. Otherwise, the colors will appear to blend together, they will appear to be a single color, and your efforts to a camo job will have been wasted!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If painting camo; the smaller the scale the higher the contrast you have to keep between colors. Otherwise, the colors will appear to blend together, they will appear to be a single color, and your efforts to a camo job will have been wasted!

I think you're quite right here; as I described above, the visual aspect of seeing real soldiers wearing the stuff at a distance whereby they roughly looked say, 1:76/72 meant that they appeared to me to be monochrome; however, I suspect that most modellers model for effect (I might be wrong here!), of some sort of another so what you describe is important as otherwise you'll (as the viewer) never quite know what you're looking at.

I found, for instance that when I tried to replicate British Army DPM, (in 1:35) that whilst my colours appeared accurate enough, it wasn't until, in sheer desperation, that I applied a wash (Humbrol Dust - I think) that it all toned down - what had appeared accurate but rather garish - now replicated the laundered, weary faded effect I required. That was a "Phew" moment for sure.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP