_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Operation Epsom-episode 4
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 04:39 AM UTC
The Scottish 15th Division attack is underway. 6 Battalions on Infantry are line abreast at th front. Smack dab in the middle is the 2/Glasgow Highland Light Infantry and their initial objective is the Caen/Fonteney highway seen here lined with trees. The opening barrage from over 600 guns,up to and including Battleship artillery fired from the Channal,has lingered on the suspected positions of the 12SS PzDiv and then moved south in increments every few minutes. The idea is the standard British practice of the Infantry following close behind the walking barrage and thus surprising the enemy while they are still taking cover.
All well made plans break down upon first contact and here is no exception.
The Glaswigians hit part of the sector defended by the 12SS Pioniere Abt,which is the HJ engineer Batallion. This specialized unit has been put in the front line because of manpower shortages and thus uses its' talents to build obstacles with mines and wire all along its' sector,while doing the same for the rest of the division as well.
Morning mist,smoke and drifting cordite vapors intermittently obscure the soldiers' view as they move forward,mingling with the acrid smell of explosives and wet crops from recent rain.
In the distance,the line of trees comes into view across the open farmland that still exists in this part of Normandy. The barrage has moved past the road and the village of Cheux to the south begins to burn from the effects of the tremendous barrage.

German artillery comes to life in the form of 105mm self propelled artillery located to the south of Cheux. Surviving mortars add to the mix after the crews piece together working tubes.

The supporting armor moves forward on the flanks,but draws fire.

Many tanks hit the engineers tellermines.

The assaulting Batallions bring their supporting mortars to bear and have the anti tank platoons ready for the expected German counterattack. But the German tanks were drawn off to the west around Ruarey,to launch the attack there as a measure against the gains made by the British during "Martlet" the previous day and so initially no German armor makes an appearance.

The Scots continue the advance but the resistance has slowed them down and the barrage is moving away too fast now. Have to catch up lads !

Bloody hell,wot's that over there ! TO THE RIGHT !

We must have moved past them ! Sniper ! Bills's been hit !

The Commenwealth soldiers tended to call every German rifleman a sniper but this was just defensive fire from the thin surviving line of foxholes,having been bypassed during the barrage.
The Bren is put up and gets suppressive fire under way.

Looks like it came from over there mate!

Get'em Ben !

Directly behind the lines,rear echelon is guarding the increasing haul of POWs from the HJ.

More coming in mates !

Obersturmfuehrer Paul Karet leads part of his engineer company into captivity. They have been disarmed and searched near their holes,where they were captured. The 12SS engineer Bn basically ceased to exist after the first day of Epsom.

More of his men bring up the rear,also included are members of the 1/26 PzGren Regt.

Also taking place in the rear is the arrival of the first wounded.

Always a cheerful face for the folks back home though.

At least they get to ride on the way back ! Nicely tagged for follow-on care.

Drop this lot off and return for more. Carrier from the Royal Scots helps out.

The advance continues but the by passed positions have to be eliminated.
Some kids in their holes are killed outright by concussion from the artillery.

while some are captured while still taking cover from the barrage

Some are shot down trying to pull back.

Whilst others are buried by naval artillery or having their positions crushed by tanks. This kid managed to fire off his one panzerfaust before finding a soldiers' grave.

The morning of Epsom was an epic battle but it was not over yet. Not...by far.
The Mephisto Waltz involving the Hitlerjugend and Scotsmen had still to run its' course.

Stay tuned for episode 5-Clearing St Manvieu
Thanks for tuning in,
J

americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 04:56 AM UTC
WOW!! Just...wow!! excellent work!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 05:00 AM UTC
Stunning Jerry, simply stunning.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 05:56 AM UTC
Thanks Gents,for the kind remarks,
J
smydi01
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 06:47 AM UTC
Just like a mini movie great to see all of parts come together.
As ever a work of art. I don't know much about art but I know what I like
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just like a mini movie great to see all of parts come together.
As ever a work of art. I don't know much about art but I know what I like

Knowing what you like is the art mate ! Nobody should tell anyone else what is good or bad art.
If it works for you...then it's allll good.
Thanks man,
J
PanzerFloor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 09:08 AM UTC
I am stunned !! :
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 11:12 AM UTC
Very cool Jer , beautifully done !!
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 12:00 PM UTC
Just awesome Jerry! Didn't want it to end, can't wait for the next episode.

cheers,
Rick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 12:04 PM UTC
Floris,Cheyenne and Rick,
Thanks gents for the very generous remarks. I will do my best to keep it going.
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in this though. Specially on FB. I believe only the German stuff gets a lot of enthusiasm. That was the case when I had the model airplane biz as well. The lay of the land as it were.
J
chazman
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Clovis,Cheyenne and Rick,
Thanks gents for the very generous remarks. I will do my best to keep it going.
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in this though. Specially on FB. I believe only the German stuff gets a lot of enthusiasm. That was the case when I had the model airplane biz as well. The lay of the land as it were.
J

It's interesting. Maybe I should post more and lurk less!
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 04:53 PM UTC
Wow Jerry, bravo, another stunning episode. Fantastic work tied to a great story. Please keep them coming, I will be looking forward to the next episode. Best regards..........Dale
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2020 - 10:59 PM UTC
A good vignette is a good vignette but a great narrative-diorama is a smoke & this one’s smokin’. Brilliant JR, with my comliments…

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 02:31 AM UTC
Chaz,Dale and Tim,
Thanks gents for typing in some great comments. It made my morning. I always appreciate any response to my posts and of course,value a few posts made over the hundreds that look and don't respond. But I value the lurkers as well.
I wonder if most know how long it takes to post something like this on this forum ? I must upload the pics on a sharing site and them up load them here while typing the narrative along with it. It took me a good 2 hours to accomplish probably because I am not the brightest bulb in the box. But still....lots of effort is involved. I could probably streamline things if I cared enough about computers to learn more about it but I just cannot get fired up by this box and keyboard. I do admire Tims' expertise that enables him to turn my pic black and white though. That is cool. But do I really want to go down the rabbit hole of photoshop ? Probably not.
Wow....WAYYY to much coffee this morning apparently.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A good vignette is a good vignette but a great narrative-diorama is a smoke & this one’s smokin’. Brilliant JR, with my comliments…

Now THAT is a much cooler pic in B&W methinks,

Thanks Timbo,
J
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 10:00 AM UTC
This is just tremendous, Jerry!

It's brilliantly evocative... I don't know what else to say other than a hearty "well done!"

Cheers

Sean

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2020 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is just tremendous, Jerry!

It's brilliantly evocative... I don't know what else to say other than a hearty "well done!"

Cheers

Sean

Thank you Sir ! I was hoping you would like this one. Interest seems to be fading in the series here. Maybe I should include some pointing German officers ? LoL
J
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC
This is just brilliant. Your fusion of modelling and story telling is in a class of its own. Ill add more feedback later but for now Im just going to enjoy this thread from start to finish again.
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC
"Wow, I'm stunned, a work of art, brilliantly done, great, evocative, awesome, fantastic, brilliant, cool, excellent..".
Jerry these prior compliments of your epic project of an epic battle are all true. I honestly tried to come up with an original response but I'm in complete agreement with the opinions of my Armorama brothers here. A narrative retelling history using a very special medium: the diorama.
You keep coming back with such *insert accolade here* that keeps me not just interested in this site but also inspires me to one day (hopefully soon) contribute and share and not just "lurk" around

Thanks Again man
Sincerely
Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is just brilliant. Your fusion of modelling and story telling is in a class of its own. Ill add more feedback later but for now Im just going to enjoy this thread from start to finish again.

Thanks you Sir for the kind note.
I am very happy that you liked it because you are indeed part of the "target" audience here. Subjects covering the huge Commonwealth war contribution seem to be fairly rare in the model community.IMHO. I am also deeply appreciative of the guys from over there that helped me navigate through the complex system of naming and marking in the Commonwealth armed forces. It certainly does not make it easy for an old GI that is used to just number identifiers.
Thanks again man,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Wow, I'm stunned, a work of art, brilliantly done, great, evocative, awesome, fantastic, brilliant, cool, excellent..".
Jerry these prior compliments of your epic project of an epic battle are all true. I honestly tried to come up with an original response but I'm in complete agreement with the opinions of my Armorama brothers here. A narrative retelling history using a very special medium: the diorama.
You keep coming back with such *insert accolade here* that keeps me not just interested in this site but also inspires me to one day (hopefully soon) contribute and share and not just "lurk" around

Thanks Again man
Sincerely
Dave

Wow man,
In return,you have also rendered me kinda speechless for receiving such a well thought out and written accolade. Reminds me of the old "Irish contingent" that used to post on here. But,not surprising,since the Irish have always had a way with words.
I now feel compelled to redouble my efforts and try to get better for the next episode. This will take a while though because it involves village scenes and those pesky buildings do take time. There are a few on here that can give witness to that!
Thanks again man and I do hope you will soon post your builds here,
J
chazman
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chaz,Dale and Tim,
Thanks gents for typing in some great comments. It made my morning. I always appreciate any response to my posts and of course,value a few posts made over the hundreds that look and don't respond. But I value the lurkers as well.
I wonder if most know how long it takes to post something like this on this forum ? I must upload the pics on a sharing site and them up load them here while typing the narrative along with it. It took me a good 2 hours to accomplish probably because I am not the brightest bulb in the box. But still....lots of effort is involved. I could probably streamline things if I cared enough about computers to learn more about it but I just cannot get fired up by this box and keyboard. I do admire Tims' expertise that enables him to turn my pic black and white though. That is cool. But do I really want to go down the rabbit hole of photoshop ? Probably not.
Wow....WAYYY to much coffee this morning apparently.
J

If you post your pics on FB, you can use that as your host. Save a step or two.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks buddy !
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2020 - 02:25 PM UTC
Well there ya go! Never heard that b4, but I do have Irish blood on my Dad's side!

Jerry I appreciate your reply, thanks! I feel I'm gettin' closer by the... month.
Seriously though, truly enjoy your builds and now even more so, keep it coming!

Regards
Dave
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 07:33 AM UTC
I think the story telling you do here (no extra compliment needed, as everything I can say as a non-native speaker has been said already ) can't be done on facebook... therefore I prefer to read what you have to say, and show overhere
 _GOTOTOP