_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
and so it begins...
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 02:39 AM UTC
Well, being one participating in the "STAY HOME-STAY SAFE" program in NYS (COVID-19 PAUSE) I decided to start this beast...

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 02:56 AM UTC
Cool. I've wanted to see one built.

Ever seen the movie Iron Sky (2012)?
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 03:37 AM UTC
yep grab a copy of iron sky and a few beers. I'd like this kit but it's very expensive in the UK thanks to import duties, so good luck and keep posting!
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 03:40 AM UTC
No but meaning to - perhaps today ….
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi Ted,

I have this kit, so looking forward to your build, . I had grand visions of doing a cutaway 'what-if, 1946' type German secret bunker with underground hangar housing this beast, and using some of the Modelcollect Paper Panzers but, alas, I don't possess the skills.

My idea was inspired by the ARII/EIDAI German secret strong point, a kit that I coveted as a kid, I can still recall the excitement of looking at the box on the shelves of my local model shop...but the cost was well beyond my means, , though I do now own one, but will probably never build it, it's too precious a memory to ruin, .

Cheers, ,

G
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 04:18 AM UTC
I actually got a deal a year or two ago from Squadron - think I paid $45 plus shipping. I have an idea on how I am going to finish it - with some figures I picked up as well. I plan on modding somethings to add a sense of "realism" to it - but no bunkers - though I did have a similar idea.

I already ran into an issue with the lower saucer section... joints do not want to stay flush... file, scalpel then putty to follow.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ted,

I have this kit, so looking forward to your build, . I had grand visions of doing a cutaway 'what-if, 1946' type German secret bunker with underground hangar housing this beast, and using some of the Modelcollect Paper Panzers but, alas, I don't possess the skills.

My idea was inspired by the ARII/EIDAI German secret strong point, a kit that I coveted as a kid, I can still recall the excitement of looking at the box on the shelves of my local model shop...but the cost was well beyond my means, , though I do now own one, but will probably never build it, it's too precious a memory to ruin, .

Cheers, ,

G

Hey Gareth,

Funnily enough I too have one of these languishing somewhere in my shed.

I had plans for utilising it as part of a sort of modelling cum play centre for my lad when he was young; we managed to build some German fortifications using the old Airfix gun emplacements, a few houses and loads of scenic stuff, all of course, providing him with an introduction to modelling. We also had great fun painting up endless figures.

I'd planned to incorporate the Eidai model into it all but sadly it never happened, so hence its resting place somewhere in my shed. Shame really - I thought it was inspirational!

Brian
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 09:34 AM UTC
Well, interior done - the detail is very, very soft and can disappear under paint. I built the consoles and base first - the external (sidewalls) primed but not shown. I added decals from my sci-fi spares to the consoles and used washes and filters to enhance details too. The engine from the kit looks like they mated two 50 gallon fuel drums. I looked at some sci-fi subjects and came up with my own version of the anti-grav engine. Some bits added as well from spares. Hosing is black wire painted a copper color then washed. I guess I could have just stripped wire but wasn't sure what I wanted to paint them at first. Seats have 1/72 seatbelts (3 missing belts will have figures).

Thanks for looking

HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 09:59 AM UTC
That's really cool Ted. Looking forward to your finished project.

Quoted Text

Ever seen the movie Iron Sky (2012)?

I hadn't until I was reading this post Fred. I went and checked out the trailer on YouTube. Hmmmmm........

Thank you,

Randy
ttwells
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 10:42 AM UTC
Thanks - even with my 15 day stay at home - I still haven't watched the movie and this is as far as I got. I am however am working on three projects at once. A Staghound for my son-in-law, this Saucer and an M60A3 in Asian service...
 _GOTOTOP